Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll try, but I may not have a camera good enough.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Pictars!

As you can tell, there are many chips and what looks like embedded material.

Most of the car looks like this.

Ole wise ones. Lend me your advice!

Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Clob
So today I went to detail my car. I used the two bucket system and washed VERY thoroughly. After blotting dry, I took a claybar to it.

This was bad times. The cars surface is very rough. The amount of crap the claybar was picking up was endless. I went through two bars full of grime. Mind you, I washed the car VERY thoroughly.

I did the best I could with what I had and it made some difference and smoothed out the paint a bit, but I could probably spend another full day with just claybars to smooth it out. I don't think this will be the best route. Upon closer inspection, the surface is pitted, and the imperfections are quite obvious. Its like the car went through a sand storm. Huge amounts of yellow stuff was coming off the paint. I'm assuming this is quartz and sand that is embedded in the car.

Any advice on what I should do next? Does it sound to far gone for claybars? Would taking a PC to it and some compound really do any good with how bad it is? Or would a pro have to get down and restore the paint and clear coat.

Also I have many scratches and chips all over the hood, font bumper and fenders.

Thanks!
When's the last time the car was thoroughly detailed including the use of a clay bar before you did it this time? Even a very thorough wash won't remove the embedded contaminants, a clay bar or a chemical fallout remover will do that. Unless the paint is smooth to the touch, I wouldn't polish it, it would either make it worse or not do much at all because the paint is still contaminated. Personally I would try washing the car again (with a soap like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash) and clay the car again and see how it is after that.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by DR.D69
When's the last time the car was thoroughly detailed including the use of a clay bar before you did it this time? Even a very thorough wash won't remove the embedded contaminants, a clay bar or a chemical fallout remover will do that. Unless the paint is smooth to the touch, I wouldn't polish it, it would either make it worse or not do much at all because the paint is still contaminated. Personally I would try washing the car again (with a soap like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash) and clay the car again and see how it is after that.
That is the soap I used
We washed twice with a highly concentrated wash.

I have no idea the last time it was washed thoroughly and clayed. I've had it for about 6 months and I only did spray washes until I had the materials.

Its tough work claying the car. I had help and went through two big bars and two big bottles of detail spray. $50 in clay and detail spray alone. The clay was filled with junk.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I would take my time and go slow. Use lots of clay lube and keep at it until the paint is free from contaminents. Make sure to start off real slow so as not to add any more scratches. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Do you suppose a fallout remover would be more effective? I think I need something more hardcore.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 PM
That is the soap I used
We washed twice with a highly concentrated wash.

I have no idea the last time it was washed thoroughly and clayed. I've had it for about 6 months and I only did spray washes until I had the materials.

Its tough work claying the car. I had help and went through two big bars and two big bottles of detail spray. $50 in clay and detail spray alone. The clay was filled with junk.
okay...well i would wash the car again making sure you let the soap sit for a little bit to pick up all the loose junk (but don't let it dry) rinse and dry well. And if the clay bar was picking up a lot of junk then I would step up to a medium grade clay bar for really heavy contamination. The only thing with the medium grade is it can induce some marring so i would only use this if you have a buffer available and plan to polish after you get the paint nice, smooth and clean.
When you clay too work a relatively small area and go in back and forth motion with light to medium pressure until the clay feels like its going smoothly across the paint. Remember to fold the clay often to get a clean piece use plenty of clay lube. AND wash your car after you clay too see if that helps.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:18 PM
I haven't had much experience with a chemical fallout remover so i couldn't give a super accurate recommendation. In my experience i found that a clay bar worked much better but if you want to try a chemical remover heres the one i'm familiar with. Its called pro-wax C-45 POWER LIFT Liquid Fallout Remover. Remember to wash with car soap afterwards to neutralize the acid in it. http://www.prowax.com/Solvents_Remov...er_Liquid.html

Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM
I haven't had much experience with a chemical fallout remover so i couldn't give a super accurate recommendation. In my experience i found that a clay bar worked much better but if you want to try a chemical remover heres the one i'm familiar with. Its called pro-wax C-45 POWER LIFT Liquid Fallout Remover. Remember to wash with car soap afterwards to neutralize the acid in it. http://www.prowax.com/Solvents_Remov...er_Liquid.html
Interesting. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM
anytime

Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Actually.. all that looks like road rash.. road rash is horrible and i've got it all over my front bumper.. gotta get that replaced soon.

But yeah usually with road rash there isn't really much you can do about it. Well besides repainting the area that has been effected by it. If clay won't take care of those spots you can maybe try polishing some of them out. If not.. then.. repaint .

Old 07-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bphillips330
I have some glass questions. Well, more plastic. My head lights don't really looked fogged or worn, but I figure they could prob use a good cleaning to look brand new again. More of a worn look on them right now. What products can I use to clean them. I don't want to wet sand and do all that.

2nd, related question. My radio in the car, the plastic screen over the display, has streaks in it. It looks like somebody used a cleaner and did not clean it off all the way. So I just used some simple car window cleaner to try and wash off the residue. Well, it is not residue, it won't wash off. What can I do to try and salvage it. Seems like what ever you do to headlight glass should work for this little bit of glass/plastic on the radio?
The Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish would be a great choice for both pieces. This is a good plastic cleaner that can help remove extremely faint surface imperfections in the headlights. It can also probably help you clear up the plastic screen, however these are more sensitive surfaces so test it on a small section to be sure you like the results before doing the whole surface. Good luck!

Greg @ DI

Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
So today I went to detail my car. I used the two bucket system and washed VERY thoroughly. After blotting dry, I took a claybar to it.

This was bad times. The cars surface is very rough. The amount of crap the claybar was picking up was endless. I went through two bars full of grime. Mind you, I washed the car VERY thoroughly.

I did the best I could with what I had and it made some difference and smoothed out the paint a bit, but I could probably spend another full day with just claybars to smooth it out. I don't think this will be the best route. Upon closer inspection, the surface is pitted, and the imperfections are quite obvious. Its like the car went through a sand storm. Huge amounts of yellow stuff was coming off the paint. I'm assuming this is quartz and sand that is embedded in the car.

Any advice on what I should do next? Does it sound to far gone for claybars? Would taking a PC to it and some compound really do any good with how bad it is? Or would a pro have to get down and restore the paint and clear coat.

Also I have many scratches and chips all over the hood, font bumper and fenders.

Thanks!
It looks like the car may have tons of little micro-chips usually from high way driving. Unfortunately there is not much you can do for this that is simple. Touch up paint could take you a really long time considering the amount in the pictures, so I wouldn't advise that. A full repaint would be costly and is probably not worth it. A clear bra will help prevent further damage but it won't fix what is currently a problem. In my opinion you'll probably just have to live with it unless one of the steps above sounds appealing.

If the clay bar is safely removing the contaminants I would keep going. Also i typically take a 200g bar and break it up in to roughly four pieces so it's easier to monitor the build ups. The DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay is a great choice that is less expensive than most of the clay on the market. After the clay bar polish the surface which will help remove ultra fine scratches and swirls, oxidation, etc. while enhancing the shine. Something like this kit may be ideal for you - DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP & Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Starter Kit 5" Free Bonus. It's probably the most effective two step process on the market! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a new question:
Have a 2008 G35X sedan in black. Got it pre-owned a few months ago. The car from 6 feet away looks pristine but when you look up close or in the sun it is apparent that the previous owner took no pride when he/she washed the car. Several light scratches on the upper parts of the doors, and trunk. None catch my nail so I suspect they are not too deep. I have used a light clear coat safe compound, Zymol wax, and/ or Meguiars scratch X with little improvement.
The car is not terrible, I am just obsessive and want as close to perfect as I can get.

Do I have it externally detailed, or polished at a body shop. I am afraid to embark on orbital polishing on my own, at least now.

Thanks !!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by thew60
I have a new question:
Have a 2008 G35X sedan in black. Got it pre-owned a few months ago. The car from 6 feet away looks pristine but when you look up close or in the sun it is apparent that the previous owner took no pride when he/she washed the car. Several light scratches on the upper parts of the doors, and trunk. None catch my nail so I suspect they are not too deep. I have used a light clear coat safe compound, Zymol wax, and/ or Meguiars scratch X with little improvement.
The car is not terrible, I am just obsessive and want as close to perfect as I can get.

Do I have it externally detailed, or polished at a body shop. I am afraid to embark on orbital polishing on my own, at least now.

Thanks !!
You will want it to get it professionally detailed from a reputable detailer. I've seen detailing shops that made the car worse than it was before..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...