Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

clear bra on black not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004 | 12:37 PM
|
clear bra on black not working

Ok, how many of you have a clear bra, particularly on a black car? I had a clear bra installed in November. But a few small bubbles never went away, so I finally had time for a re-install yesterday. Now it looks like terrible orange peel!!! My first install looked great as far as having no "orange peel" look, but my installed said that on black that particular film shows a lot of "dimbples"(bubbles). So he used a different film, and yes, very few bubbles, but the orange peel looks terrible! My question is I'm I too **** and just have to live with it? Or is there someone else out there that has a black car and is happy with the results? I'm almost tempted to just take the bra off and live with rock chips, rock chips will look better than a nose with "orange peel"!!!!!getting so frustrated. By the way, my installer doesn't want to use 3m on my car because he told me it tends to "yellow" and shows more scratches during the install.

Old 02-10-2004 | 01:18 PM
Re: clear bra on black not working

I have a Twilight Blue...same thing. Some bubbles, some parts that look like orange peel, and BOTH mirror installs were f'ed up (I didnt notice until I washed the car and got a good look).

Im pretty pissed. I need to call the install place.

2004 Twilight Blue Coupe
6 spd
Premium Package
Aero Package

Old 02-10-2004 | 01:22 PM

Where did you get your clear bra installed? Alot of my friends and family and clear bra's on their dark colored cars like black and there is no bubbling whatsoever. It doesnt even look like its there. Maybe the material they used for the clear film just sucks or something. You should complain until they fix it

Old 02-10-2004 | 01:46 PM

Can you post picks of the bubbles and the "orange peels"?

Old 02-10-2004 | 03:00 PM

I got it installed at a shop in Torrance that most people here in So Cal have gone to.

Maybe I can get pics when I get home

2004 Twilight Blue Coupe
6 spd
Premium Package
Aero Package

Old 02-10-2004 | 03:13 PM
|

Yup, mine installed at same place. I'm not sure if it's the installers fault, or the fact that like everything else...black shows everything! Or maybe the material. I don't know...I just know it's becoming a pain in my ***(doesn't help that I'm ****). But I'm almost tempted to just take the bra off and live with rock chips. Hmmm what's worse, rock chips or a hood that looks like a bad paint job with orange peel.

Old 02-10-2004 | 04:29 PM

I've got the same problems with both mirrors, and a line down the middle on the hood portion. The Torrance shop said that the line should disappear with warmer weather; we'll see. Regarding the material they use, I thought I was getting 3M until I got there. The film they use is Llumar, and it came out of a box labeled "window film". I checked Llumar's website, and they don't make any film for automotive paint. I hope that it's as durable as the 3M and that it won't damage the paint. Here's the link for Llumar: http://www.llumar.com/Default.htm

RainMeister
'04 G35C 6MT, diamond graphite, premium, nav, aero

Old 02-10-2004 | 05:02 PM

I had problems with the original mirror covering too (the design caused a "wrinkle"). The Torrance guys replaced them for free with a custom design that was better. I'm pretty sure they used "3M" on mine.. it was a pre-cut pattern. I have no orange peel or bubbles whatsoever..

'03 G35C AT, BS

Old 02-10-2004 | 05:09 PM

I pulled my mirror's clear bra off.. it lifted in several places. I'm not upset about it, I saw him work on them. They were a pain. He worked is @ss off on both sides. He gave me extra material, I will recut a smaller piece when it get warmer.

bs g35c lth/prem

Old 02-10-2004 | 05:39 PM

Here's an update on the Llumar film. I called the mfr, and they do make paint protective film, which presumably is what the Torrance shop used. The Llumar rep said the film will not damage factory paint, but that they would advise against applying over repainted surfaces.

RainMeister
'04 G35C 6MT, diamond graphite, premium, nav, aero

Old 02-10-2004 | 05:47 PM

i have a black g and was considering getting the clearbra put on. but after talking to several friends, i decided not to. everyone was telling me it doesn't look good on dark colors. and by the way, llumar is a pretty reputable company.

Old 02-10-2004 | 06:11 PM
|

Ok, I got around to snapping pictures today. Not the greatest pictures, but you could pretty much see the "orange peel" on the part where the bra is, and no orange peel on the part without the bra. Of course the digital camera picked up a lot of dust, ignore the dust

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=775075

Old 02-10-2004 | 06:26 PM
WRAH

I would be pissed! Thats the worst clear-bra ive seen! Some people over in the Zaino forum were showing pictures of their clear-bras and it doesn't look a thing like that! Whats worse is that horrible line. I'd go back, thats a pretty $hitty application!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murry

Old 02-10-2004 | 06:37 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni

Doesn't look the best does it? Kinda reminds me of Duraguard that Ford used to put on the lower fenders and doors.
I wouldn't be happy with that at all.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 02-10-2004 | 07:36 PM

Daniel - WHOA. Mine is not NEARLY that bad. It just has an orange peely look in some small spots, and the line isnt that bad. When the car is clean you cant see it.

tpware - oh believe me I'm not knocking them. I sat there the whole time and was watching them on and off and they knew what they were doing. They were having problems with the mirrors I noticed. I think llike people said its just the way the mirror is designed.

I already pulled in the garage...maybe I can get some pics even though its in there.

2004 Twilight Blue Coupe
6 spd
Premium Package
Aero Package

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clear bra on black not working