Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What lasts longer, Liquid or "hard" paste wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brakes What lasts longer, Liquid or "hard" paste wax?

I use Meguire's NXT wax religiously and really like it. I always wondered and generally thought that hard paste wax in the can was better than liquid. Ive never really read anything on the comparison of the two. Any pro detailers input is greatly appreciate. thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The liquid wax is more of a sealant. That why when you read any one it usually says its synthetic polymer and the regualur paste wax is just a polymer wax. So the liquid wax is going to last longer. Correct me if im wrong

Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
As long as your comparing the "same" technologies........

NXT is a Polymer synthetic wax.....it has long lasting properties, but does not give the real "wet" look like the tradional paste carnuaba waxes.

Traditional waxes on the other hand, Tend to evaporate in time, so they only last on average say 6-8 weeks. The polymer waxes have been rated to last up to 6 months or more.

So, do yourself a favor, put a couple coats of the synthetic wax on, they wait 24hrs and top it off with a coat or two of carnuaba wax to really make your paint "pop"

Old 01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
they should last the same amount of time, the liquid just has more solvents in it to make it easier to apply but they eventually evaporate off. The actual polymer that forms a monolayer and crosslinks is the same between liquid/paste products in the same line(ie NXT). That being said, the paste version is more "concentrated" so you get more product per oz compared to the liquid form but is slightly harder to apply.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by Scrooge
The liquid wax is more of a sealant. That why when you read any one it usually says its synthetic polymer and the regualur paste wax is just a polymer wax. So the liquid wax is going to last longer. Correct me if im wrong
Sounds like mixed messages, anyone else. I use the new meguire's sythetic detailer after every wash and Ive really seen the beading and shine stay for months on a coat of NXT. Its 10.99 but worth every cent in my book.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so is this thread just rhetorical, or are you looking for a specific answer??

Redlude is correct though... liquid is basically "watered" down for easier application...

Old 01-07-2008, 03:48 AM
looking for many answers that are the same, one member s kinda hard to judge because I dont know. I figured paste...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought Liquid wax lasted longer then pasted wax.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
As long as your comparing the "same" technologies........

NXT is a Polymer synthetic wax.....it has long lasting properties, but does not give the real "wet" look like the tradional paste carnuaba waxes.

Traditional waxes on the other hand, Tend to evaporate in time, so they only last on average say 6-8 weeks. The polymer waxes have been rated to last up to 6 months or more.

So, do yourself a favor, put a couple coats of the synthetic wax on, they wait 24hrs and top it off with a coat or two of carnuaba wax to really make your paint "pop"
I agree with what GR8TG35 has to say. I feel that paste waxes have a better look to them, but durability can vary between products. I've seen some true spray on carnauba waxes that only last a week or two, but there are some spray on sealants that can last months. Paste waxes are the same. I've seen some that last a couple of weeks, and some high end ones last months, up to 6 months, but then again you are spending $100s or even $1000s for those waxes.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Paste Wax vs. Liquid Wax:
Most chemists agree that when it comes to a wax formulation there is no advantage between pastes, creams or liquids. It has more to do with production cost and marketing than; ease of application or removal, its protection or surface gloss abilities. The only ingredients that will make a difference is wax quality, percentage by volume of wax and its carrier system (i.e. type of solvent / silicone and/or mineral oils used) and wax percentage content

Paste wax is just a thicker form of liquid wax, a different consistency, not necessarily even more or less solvents. All natural waxes require a solvent to soften them (in there natural state they are as hard as concrete and are sold as a solid block or as flakes) Some wax products use an emulsion (oil-in water) to keep more liquid without adding more solvents which, in high concentrations could affect durability as it would dilute the wax content, the emulsion helps to lubricate the paint surface and enables the wax to spread evenly before the solvents flash and the wax reverts to its 'hard' consistency.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The key with any wax paste or spray is regular application. It's not a once or twice a year kinda thing, it's a once or twice a month kinda thing.

I picked up my 06 with 14k a month ago. I don't think it ever saw a coat of wax until now. The first time 2 weeks ago applying the pad hissed as it was wiped across. Dry paint on its way to oxidation. Waxed again today. much easier job. Went on smooth and wiped off clean with minimal effort.

every car I ever owned and care about gets meguires cleaner wax paste twice a month. It's work and commitement but even a black car will look spectacular

Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Liquid vs Paste Wax......?

Liquid waxes have always looked good on my cars but I never felt they lasted
long enough. Keeping in mind my cars are either in the garage or under car
covers my Zymol concourse wax will last easily 6 months. Although I never
let my G go past 90 days with out a fresh coat. My Zymol wax is $350 lb
and worth every penny......

Old 01-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
The key with any wax paste or spray is regular application. It's not a once or twice a year kinda thing, it's a once or twice a month kinda thing.

I picked up my 06 with 14k a month ago. I don't think it ever saw a coat of wax until now. The first time 2 weeks ago applying the pad hissed as it was wiped across. Dry paint on its way to oxidation. Waxed again today. much easier job. Went on smooth and wiped off clean with minimal effort.

every car I ever owned and care about gets meguires cleaner wax paste twice a month. It's work and commitement but even a black car will look spectacular
I think your killing your clean coat with the cleaner wax, that has light abrazives to remove long term contaminants. Your better off clay bar'ing the car every couple months that slowly removing the clearcoat!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by in2win
I think your killing your clean coat with the cleaner wax, that has light abrazives to remove long term contaminants. Your better off clay bar'ing the car every couple months that slowly removing the clearcoat!
not really, especially if applied by hand, the abrasives are very mild and it mostly contains chemical cleaners and fillers

Old 01-17-2008, 12:33 AM
personally I dont think there that mild, they remove paint marks left from an auto accident on my brothers truck, that pretty strong. It removed the paint really easy and fast, that doesnt seem very mild. whatever floats ur boat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What lasts longer, Liquid or "hard" paste wax?