Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need help with new car...and railroad dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Need help with new car...and railroad dust

Hey guys,

Got a new 08 Gx in white in January. I gave it a couple hand washes already and have noticed hundreds of little speckles of what appears to be rust. Through researching the net, I figure this is railroad dust from the shipping of my car. I doubt it would be my breaks as this stuff is literally everywhere.

So I started picking them off one by one with a towel and my thumbnail but that is seriously going to take me weeks to do it all. More research tells me to claybar...

I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN DETAILING...I have never clayed a car, or polished, but waxed once on an old car and that turned out horrible (I realized i needed more steps before the wax).

Am I on the right track to "clay bar" my car? How should I go about it and what's a generic brand that will work for me (something I can buy at my car parts store) such as Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle wax, etc.? Is it safe to clay a new car? Do I HAVE to wax it after?

Any help or insight is muchos appreciated!!! Thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey.....i had the same problem with my ip coupe after the winter, but it was only on the rear of my car.....i clayed my car with meguiars (may times on the rear).....then polished with meguiars and finally waxed with meguiars. almost everything came off, but i plan on doing all over again in about a month (thats why i only put on one layer of wax).....i never clayed before and i didnt jack anything up but i think its hard to on white

Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes claying is going to work. But when you clay. You need wax after. Remember claying remove any containment off the paint surface.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Any tips for claying?

How should I cut the bar?

When should I dispose of the contaminated bar?

Thanks guys

Old 04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Claying should take care of most of the contamination. Just tear the claybar in half. That is just a measure used just incase you drop the claybar, you still have a fresh one available (do not re-use the claybar once it has been dropped). After claying a section, roll the claybar and flatten it to expose a new part of the bar. Keep doing this until you no longer get a new surfac eon the claybar. When this happens, throw it out.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 PM
The best stuff on the west

I swear by this stuff.

It's real smooth, easy to bend, and easy to work with.
I use this stuff on my G, my parent's FX, my buddy uses it on his Audi TT and GTi, and my other buddy uses it on all his show cars.

I've used their products for 4 years now. Never had any weird leftover crap, streaks, etc like other clay bars leave behind. Even when my girl's new Corolla got oversprayed when her parents hired painters to spray the house, this bar took the stuff right off.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-36-8oz-clay-bar.aspx

Last edited by aRT13; 04-17-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM
You can cut the clay up into 4 pieces. Like joyride said. Kneed after every panel. With the containment piece, you can use those for wheels.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Awesome, thanks guys...

Just wondering now...
Do i HAVE TO wax the car afterwards or is the "detailing spray" that comes with it enough? Will the clay-barring and detailing spray actually make my car MORE vulnerable to future dust and contaminants?

I bought this as it was the only clay bar kit at "parts source/ canadian tire".

It comes with wax so I was curious to know if this was mandatory.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey john,
Wash the car with dawn (you only do this onces in you're lifetime or just onces after winter) After the wash, claybar using any Claybar you could find, use a detailing spray when you claybar and the claybar will become very sliperly. After you're done claybar wash the car but use a car soap this time.
Afterwards You have to wax the car, Many people on this forum prefer Zaino, such as Z2. you could apply few layers of Z2 and top it up with z6. the car will be smooth as the glass

Originally Posted by johnnyzee
Awesome, thanks guys...

Just wondering now...
Do i HAVE TO wax the car afterwards or is the "detailing spray" that comes with it enough? Will the clay-barring and detailing spray actually make my car MORE vulnerable to future dust and contaminants?

I bought this as it was the only clay bar kit at "parts source/ canadian tire".

It comes with wax so I was curious to know if this was mandatory.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:05 AM
^ Cool, thanks man, so I have to wax my car, thought that was optional. I'll let you guys know how it goes. And Dawn, never would have thought, I guess this gets the best deepest wash.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 PM
^ Cool, thanks man, so I have to wax my car, thought that was optional. I'll let you guys know how it goes. And Dawn, never would have thought, I guess this gets the best deepest wash.
If you didn't wax your car after claying. How would it be protect the paint from natural elements.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:03 PM

Oh and save the claybar, it's very usefull when you have those bugs sticking o your bumper. but if the clayba falls, than throw it away.

gud luck,

Old 04-24-2008, 05:54 PM
A tip about clay bar

You can claybar the car using soap and water. I have used Meguires Gold Class and P21 S wash.

They have natural lubricants. just be sure to wash the car before you go to polish then wax.