Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Rock chip rust removal/touch up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Rock chip rust removal/touch up

I have some questions regarding rock chips that have formed surface rust on a couple of my door panels. Winter has finally passed, which has given me the chance again to get up and close to wash the car. I have found more rock chips and some of the chips have developed surface rust over the winter most likely. They are small specks, maybe 1/16"-1/8" in diameter. I would like to take care of them before they get worse and spread.

So what is the best way to remove the rust? Ive been reading and it seems like they make sort of pen for this job? I read that a pencil eraser may work? My main concern is to get rid of the rust, but I have the touch up paint which I will use to fill in the chips. I proably will need to get some primer. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM
im thinking i posted this in the wrong location. Can a moderator move this?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
I have some questions regarding rock chips that have formed surface rust on a couple of my door panels. Winter has finally passed, which has given me the chance again to get up and close to wash the car. I have found more rock chips and some of the chips have developed surface rust over the winter most likely. They are small specks, maybe 1/16"-1/8" in diameter. I would like to take care of them before they get worse and spread.

So what is the best way to remove the rust? Ive been reading and it seems like they make sort of pen for this job? I read that a pencil eraser may work? My main concern is to get rid of the rust, but I have the touch up paint which I will use to fill in the chips. I proably will need to get some primer. Thanks.
Most people do this by glueing the sandpaper bit on the the eraser end of a pencil (like you mentioned) and going at it.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
Most people do this by glueing the sandpaper bit on the the eraser end of a pencil (like you mentioned) and going at it.
Thanks. After some more research I decided to purchase a fiberglass pen. It was between that and rust converter chemicals. I bought one online today, it is 1.7mm wide with small stiff fiberglass strands at the end of a pen that should get rid of the rust.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Please share more when you get it and results. I don't have any rust on my car, but would love to hear more for future because I'm sure its bound to happen.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
Thanks. After some more research I decided to purchase a fiberglass pen. It was between that and rust converter chemicals. I bought one online today, it is 1.7mm wide with small stiff fiberglass strands at the end of a pen that should get rid of the rust.
Can you post a link?