Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Tire Dressing Stains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Dressing Stains

Hello all. I recently cleaned up the car (wash, clay, glaze, sealant, wax). However, I made a mistake with the tire dressing (it's water-based). I didn't wipe off the excess and now it has stained - thankfully only in one area. I tried to use a degreaser, paint cleaner, clay, etc. with no success. I guess I will have to invest in a buffer - just wanted to get some opinions. What do you guys think? Here is a pic of the car and a closeup of the brown stains (not sure if you will be able to see them, but they are there!!!).

Attached Thumbnails Tire Dressing Stains-gigi01.jpg   Tire Dressing Stains-stains.jpg  

Last edited by jeh1110; 08-14-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Exactly what dressing did you use?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Bold n Bright by Poorboy's World. I think the stuff looks great - I just forgot to wipe it off. One other thing I need to mention is that I had a new exhaust installed. Do you think the heat from the exhaust had something to do with it?

Last edited by jeh1110; 08-13-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
stain

There are def some tire dressings that stain...if you have a light colored car like white it will leave brown spots or yellow spots...last week i was at my buddys shop and a customer came in with these stains on all four wheel wells...my friend who owns the shop tried denying that it was the dressing but i am sure thats what it was.....it is a MUST to wipe the dressing in and not leave excess dripping from your tires bc this CAN and WILL happen if you are not careful

good luck getting it out man!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
An over the counter polish should get that out by hand. Use Meg's Ultimate Compound followed by a lighter polish like swirlx.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
An over the counter polish should get that out by hand. Use Meg's Ultimate Compound followed by a lighter polish like swirlx.
I have the same problem as jeh1110. I bought my G35 used used a few days ago and the dealer cleaned it up and applied the dressing in an attempt to make it purdy' upon delievery. I fear the compound. I've always heard horror stories about "compound" and that it should only be used as a last resort. Is Meg's Ultimate Compound safe for clear coat?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by campoly
I have the same problem as jeh1110. I bought my G35 used used a few days ago and the dealer cleaned it up and applied the dressing in an attempt to make it purdy' upon delievery. I fear the compound. I've always heard horror stories about "compound" and that it should only be used as a last resort. Is Meg's Ultimate Compound safe for clear coat?
Yea, I think that's something like Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound that isn't paint safe. Ultimate compound is definitely paint safe, but you should follow it up with something like swirlx. Try swirlx first.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Use a safe solvent - 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover, and then apply wax / sealant to protect the paint surface

Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Bold 'n Bright is a water based dressing that shouldn't be hard to remove from your paint if you have a coating of protection on there. A solvent as TOGWT mentioned or a very light abrasive should remove the marks no problem. I'd venture to guess even something as light as Meg's ScratchX would do the trick. Reprotect your paint after using either method.

Next time, after applying Bold 'n Bright, go over it with a towel to buff any excess dressing off. If you like a wetter look, you're better off applying multiple thin coats rather than 1 thick coat.

Let us know if it comes off.

George

Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I'd venture to guess even something as light as Meg's ScratchX would do the trick.

Let us know if it comes off.

George
I tried the scratch X yesterday and it didn't phase the little brown spots. It looks like its deep into the paint. I'll try the Meg's Ultimate Compound today.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 AM
I tried the scratch X yesterday and it didn't phase the little brown spots. It looks like its deep into the paint. I'll try the Meg's Ultimate Compound today.
How are you applying it and working it?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had those brown stains before. I think it's a mixture of brake dust, dirt, and dressing. I took out the stains with couple applications of turtlewax's polishing compound (green label container), then finish it off with detailing polish.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
How are you applying it and working it?
I dab it on and leave it for a few minutes and then rub the hell out of it.
ScratchX is great stuff but it ain't doing it on this one. There is actually a TSB concerning this problem but it doesn't give a solution...just warns about it.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I dab it on and leave it for a few minutes and then rub the hell out of it.
ScratchX is great stuff but it ain't doing it on this one. There is actually a TSB concerning this problem but it doesn't give a solution...just warns about it.
Start rubbing immediately after you apply it.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I used Turtle Wax's Polishing Compound (green label) today and unfortunately had no success. I'll try 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover next when I find it. Like campoly said earlier, the stains seem pretty deep.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Dressing Stains