Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Car Show Clean: Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enter alot of shows in my Z, and a few things that i always make sure to do is:
-Make sure exhaust tips are shiney and clean. I use Mothers Billet Polish, its about 14 dolllars at ur local autozone/pepboys, apply a nice coat and buff to a shine.
-If any doors/hatches are open for display, i always make sure that the painted parts hidden by the door feels and looks the same as the exterior paint, kind of blends the car together.
-Also i like to use alot of "props" when im in a show, for example, model Zs that ive made, extra wheel, dyno sheets, picture album, previous trophies, stuff like that, i find that it catches more peoples attention, draws them over to check out the car.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clean windows! not much but if ur talking about a every day cruise.. shiny windows + 5% tint = xD lol

i use stoners btw..

Old 05-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Never enough
Make sure you get those inner fenders clean! I always look for dirt in this area. Do NOT use white batting! This is the stuffing found in blankets. The first thing I think when I see that is someone is trying to hide something! Inside the rims, pull your wheels off and clean the inside the night before a show. Wipe all jambs, deck lid, under hood clean! Nothing worse then seeing dirty jambs! Alwats carry quick detail spray, I like Zaino. Thats all I can think of for now.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:16 AM
Never enough
I like citrus cleaner.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Often times a small but noticeable way to improve your car is the rubber trim. There are two ways to really darken them up, both work great. Trim Restorer http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Vinyl is great for relatively new rubber, really darkens it up and sets off the paint. Another great way to fix rubber that needs more drastic treatment is Leatherique Rubber Dye http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Vinyl. Don't let the name "dye" scare you just wipe it on and wipe off any excess. On all the cars I've used it on it really darkened the rubber and if it gets on the paint it comes right off.

Old 05-29-2005, 09:38 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I used to show my Accord before I got my G. If you're entering a show, I would apply tire dressing to the treads of the tires that are visible...not just the sidewall. Small little thing that makes youre wheels/tires look more complete, instead of having black sidewalls and grey treads.

- Also clean your undercarriage. Try to keep it clean regularly and it'll be easier to clean the day of your show.

- Keep a nice air freshener in the car (I recommend Air Spencer CS-X3 Squash). If the judge likes the smell of your interior, he may unconciously give you more points in certain areas.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont take my baby to shows, but detailing for 14 hours must count for something right?

Two of the things off the top of my head that I do are
1) Use one of those keyboard air dusters to have the little dust particles the Wax/Polish leave go away from the gaps between panels... the gap between the roof and windows, the grille, open up the trunk and use Duster around the rubber (this place carries A LOT of wax/polish residue). BTW do this right after you wipe off a layer, dont wait until you finish all layers or the residue will stick too god.

2) I use Q-tips on some areas where the duster does not do an excellent job, and where microfiber towels dont reach... for example, the rear bumper has two horizontal lines close to the bottom, only Q-Tips can reach there. (If possible, wrap the microfiber around the qtip to use the towel instead of the cotton, if the gap is too little, then just use the Q-tip)

Old 05-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Oh and also, open up sun-roof whenever you are waxing/polishing. Dried polish/wax on rubber is hard to get off.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Use WD-40 to make plastic engine covers and hoses in your engine compartment shine.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:17 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Espresso
Use WD-40 to make plastic engine covers and hoses in your engine compartment shine.
It does make everything shine, but afterwards the WD40 residue collects A LOT of dirt & dust.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:43 AM
tip i gathered from vwvortex

pink pearl or pink pet whatever that pink thing is on the end of your pencil gets the wax off the black

i use meg's nxt wash, polymer, spray wax and Eagle one for tire and windows, idk if anyone else used it but last year's eagle one 20/20 i liked ALOT more than the new stuff this year actually the whole line last year to me was better or maybe i m not used to change :-\ anyone got any comment on that?

heres a neat gizmo
http://www.eagleone.com/_products/1,5010602.asp

i use microfibers instead of chamois

and i read somewhere not to use wheel cleaner or degreaser in engine bay?

Last edited by JEAThirty5; 06-01-2005 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Never enough
This should be pinned to the top.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:11 PM
It should, but we need more contributers. Im trying hard to think about new tips, but cant remember. These things come up when Im washing so next time I wash, Ill write them down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Show Clean: Tips and Tricks