Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Is it possible to break the shifter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is it possible to break the shifter?

Hi all,
I want to remove the shift **** on my 2006 Coupe but I do not have the tools nor the time to have it done elsewhere. If I twist really hard (in the correct direction off course) can I actually damage something in there? When I tried this morning something was bending in there but I did not know if it was the shift **** itself or the whole shifter bending.

If I knew for sure that nothing will break I could try again with all my might, I think I can get it to turn.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>.<

Make sure you clamp some vice-grips or a wrench on the shift rod and hold it, to prevent it from turning while you twist the **** off. Yes, you can bend the shift rod and/or cause damage if you don't.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Yea you def can man! You gotta be real careful...the stock shift **** is threadlocked on like a **** and there is no way you can get it off by hand. You have to use a crescent wrench and a rag to crank off the stock **** without ripping the leather. When I installed my RE short shifter I was constantlyyy told to make sure I brace the shift shaft with a vice wrench or something while I cranked off the **** so the gear shift rod thats connected to the transmission doesn't bend of break. If you end up bending that rod...you can be damn sure you won't be engaging any gears lol. Well not the right ones anyhow. So yea take the time to do it right, the first time.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmm i just wrenched mine off with brute force. better safe than sorry though, so be careful!

Old 04-14-2007, 06:41 AM
Hey wassup. I have a 04 G35 coupe and i was trying ing put subs in my car and ihad to take out the radio for the line out convter..neways indoing so i took off my manual shift **** and the same problem has happened to me....the shift came apart at the half waypoint...this is my OEM/factory shifter..i trying taking the whole shifter out and try and "hammer" the shifter back in place but i could really get the rubber boot out after taking the four 10mm screw out..i think it was just stuck or something..Do u think the deal would cover under it for warrenty? I managed to put it some what back together but it the shift **** still turns so i know that the shift isnt on very well and i can also just pull it up with easy.What do u think i should do? I am thinking about just buying an aftermarket shifter but i would want to do that as a last resort...Whats a good brand and how much do they run? Whats the best place to get it and i heard problems with people cant finding 5th gear?

Old 04-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Evil Bastard
Originally Posted by MyGSpot35
Hey wassup. I have a 04 G35 coupe and i was trying ing put subs in my car and ihad to take out the radio for the line out convter..neways indoing so i took off my manual shift **** and the same problem has happened to me....the shift came apart at the half waypoint...this is my OEM/factory shifter..i trying taking the whole shifter out and try and "hammer" the shifter back in place but i could really get the rubber boot out after taking the four 10mm screw out..i think it was just stuck or something..Do u think the deal would cover under it for warrenty? I managed to put it some what back together but it the shift **** still turns so i know that the shift isnt on very well and i can also just pull it up with easy.What do u think i should do? I am thinking about just buying an aftermarket shifter but i would want to do that as a last resort...Whats a good brand and how much do they run? Whats the best place to get it and i heard problems with people cant finding 5th gear?

You'll have a hard time convincing the dealership to replace anything under warranty, much less a torque'd off shifter.

You're better off buying an aftermarket unit. They aren't very expensive, and you do get some benefit from them, assuming it is correctly installed. Take a look at some of the DIY's that are on the board, and you'll be fine. Of course, you could always buy another OEM shifter rod.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:08 PM
^^^ may as well get the R/E shifter and call it a day

Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^^^ +1 one that

fcarpio....like others have said already, don't twist off **** without backing up the shifter rod with rag and vise grips or something.