Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Hard Shift Is it Normal 5 A/T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Shift Is it Normal 5 A/T

I have noticed when my car has been sitting a while (overnight), I start it up & drive it, I have noticed that the 1st shift into 2nd gear I can really feel it, kind of feels like you have drove over ice & your tire is not getting traction, thats how I can describe it.

Anyone else have this problem or know a fix to it????

Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah i have had it for like 15K miles now...starting to **** me off. 3rd to 4th as well.

-Sean

Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
mine is 2-3... not do bad anymore though, it use to be worse... it seems that adding 3.7 FD helps my shifts (I have no idea why)... also decent ground wires help incrementally (some people report very noticeably)... I had Stillen ground wires and they didn’t help at all... but recently I swapped them for Shawns (user name: sxexcx) they seems to help a little... most people use Gords and say it helps quite a bit.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Mine is only when i am driving normal. If i floor the car it has no problems at all, but just slow shifts are rediculous.

-Sean

Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by AaronJP
I have noticed when my car has been sitting a while (overnight), I start it up & drive it, I have noticed that the 1st shift into 2nd gear I can really feel it, kind of feels like you have drove over ice & your tire is not getting traction, thats how I can describe it.

Anyone else have this problem or know a fix to it????
This is normal - when a tranny is cold, the shifts are harder than usual. Same thing happens on my RSX and on my G.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 PM
^ this is true. Mine does it when its cold, but it also just has a hard shift from 3rd to 4th all the time. If i put it in third and floor the car from lets say 35 mph once i get around the 45-55 MPH range there is like this "bubble" almost like it hits something or misses a revalution...idk how to explain it. I know with the VQ motor that their pinnacle is the mid range power. At about 3700 RPMS witht he VQDE you can feel the motor come to life its insane. Mine happens right before this point like a hick up then power and is fine from there....almost like the gear was stripped in a spot.

-Sean

Old 11-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
^ this is true. Mine does it when its cold, but it also just has a hard shift from 3rd to 4th all the time. If i put it in third and floor the car from lets say 35 mph once i get around the 45-55 MPH range there is like this "bubble" almost like it hits something or misses a revalution...idk how to explain it. I know with the VQ motor that their pinnacle is the mid range power. At about 3700 RPMS witht he VQDE you can feel the motor come to life its insane. Mine happens right before this point like a hick up then power and is fine from there....almost like the gear was stripped in a spot.

-Sean
And whats happening with you car? You think thats normal? Did you have checked out yet or what?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles on your car? I've always thought a rough 1-2 shift was the culprit of a faulty TCM programming.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Loe G35
How many miles on your car? I've always thought a rough 1-2 shift was the culprit of a faulty TCM programming.
Good question, did someone else own it before you? Could be TCM issues, faulty programming or it may have "learned" to shift from a grandma. The stealership can reset or reflash the TCM for you, the reset may be the best thing to try first.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by aero
The stealership can reset or reflash the TCM for you
??? I’ve never heard of this…

Old 11-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
??? I’ve never heard of this…
It's buried somewhere in one of the posts about the torque converter lockup on 06+ 5ATs (now known to be defective valve bodies). Another member had the problem and the dealership reset then reflashed his TCM in an effort to fix it (only worked to a degree though). I figured what the hell, if they did it for that, it may be worth a try for this.

EDIT: dug up the post, all the way at the bottom...

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/174871-engine-vibration-shake.html

Last edited by aero; 11-14-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM
It's buried somewhere in one of the posts about the torque converter lockup on 06+ 5ATs (now known to be defective valve bodies). Another member had the problem and the dealership reset then reflashed his TCM in an effort to fix it (only worked to a degree though). I figured what the hell, if they did it for that, it may be worth a try for this.

EDIT: dug up the post, all the way at the bottom...

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174871
Originally Posted by Allenzi35
All I did was take the service man for a ride and it did its thing while Infiniti was in the car, first thing they did was reset and reflash the TCM. Its been 3k since and it has never got the shakes once. I wish I knew how to reset the TCM like the ECU.
The post above must be what you were referencing… I don’t know how much credence to give that… MANY people have wanted to reflash the TCM and not even TechnoSquare has been able to get into it… I highly doubt a dealer can do something that TS (or any other after market) can’t do.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Don't know about the newer autos but the older autos have had 1 or 3 diff TSB regarding shifting. Mostly slow shifting. To fix the problem, the dealer uploads a diff shift program. ie.. reflash.

Aftermarket companies IMHO can reflash. I don't think accessing the auto ecu is all that diff than the engine ecu. It's that the aftermarket companies don't see a market for this type of service. But I did find a company that says they can do aftermarket ecu upgrades but for the life of me, I can't find it. It was $700 or so though.

The post above must be what you were referencing… I don’t know how much credence to give that… MANY people have wanted to reflash the TCM and not even TechnoSquare has been able to get into it… I highly doubt a dealer can do something that TS (or any other after market) can’t do.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM
1. You mean to tell me that Infiniti can't access the TCM software on their own cars?

2. Why would he lie about that? It's pretty embarassing to admit that your $40,000 luxury car has a defective transmission (in my opinion at least). What does someone have to gain by making up a warranty story? Lying about mods or the cause of an accident I can see.

3. He's the one who found the TSB for the defective valve bodies in 5ATs. That has to be worth something.

P.S. not trying to sound like an a$$, just trying to examine this like spock!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM
1. You mean to tell me that Infiniti can't access the TCM software on their own cars?

2. Why would he lie about that? It's pretty embarassing to admit that your $40,000 luxury car has a defective transmission (in my opinion at least). What does someone have to gain by making up a warranty story? Lying about mods or the cause of an accident I can see.

3. He's the one who found the TSB for the defective valve bodies in 5ATs. That has to be worth something.

P.S. not trying to sound like an a$$, just trying to examine this like spock!
my reference was to reflashing not accessing... and I didn’t call the guy a liar... I stated that it doesn’t hold water as it relates to this thread… if re-flashing the TCM was readily available we wouldn’t have so many reports of harsh shifting and long shift times… and if you think there is no market for a TCM reflash try looking up all the threads about the various valve body upgrades – there is a huge market! Many people have wanted and inquired about TCM reflashes!

Why do these kinds of threads turn into drama?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard Shift Is it Normal 5 A/T