Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Which clutch are you guys running?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which clutch are you guys running?

hey i was just wondering what clutch you guys are running out there ? the stock clutch is horrible and mine is almost shot, ive heard bad things about act and exedy is this true ? Ill list my mods if you need it to see what clutch is best for me i have stillen exhaust and intake, plemium spacer and m rev, and UR pulleys thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
well, im still on stock. can't complain. BUT, when it does go im going to go with the jwt clutch. that's basically what EVERYONE on here has, or wants. down shift all gears and your clutch might smooth out. mine was horrible a year ago when i bought the car. just started down shifting and it smoothed out x100000000. jmo.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Are you planning on going FI? Also you heard Exedy was bad? I think you should look into it. Because I feel they are pretty decent clutches.
-AGThing1227

Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Mines almost shot also..will probably go with a JWT.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Exedy makes clutches for some of the most respectable cars being built right now....

Old 01-05-2008, 04:00 AM
nah im not going FI so i guess JWT is the way to go.. who carries them ? where did u guys buy yours? thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackg3507
nah im not going FI so i guess JWT is the way to go.. who carries them ? where did u guys buy yours? thanks
Exedy makes the clutches in the G35 lol

Old 01-05-2008, 12:44 PM
^lol correct but OP heard bad things about them. So we just told him otherwise.
-AGThing1227

Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I JUST bought a clutchmasters stage III clutch and flywheel. I have to pull out the trans because an $8 fork pin broke, so I am deciding to change the clutch, etc. at the same time. I have 70,000 miles, and no signs of the clutch slipping...but plan on keeping the car for a while.

I will have it installed early next week, and let you know what I think. If you want a good dealer to order it from, I can give you the #. I paid about 30% under retail!

Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by hotsand5
I JUST bought a clutchmasters stage III clutch and flywheel. I have to pull out the trans because an $8 fork pin broke, so I am deciding to change the clutch, etc. at the same time. I have 70,000 miles, and no signs of the clutch slipping...but plan on keeping the car for a while.

I will have it installed early next week, and let you know what I think. If you want a good dealer to order it from, I can give you the #. I paid about 30% under retail!
ive heard of that pin breaking. does anyone offer a stronger pin? or are you going to have to re-install a factory part that is prone to fail again given the same circumstances??? makes you want to give arp a call or something...

Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your choice depends on your use and of course resale attractiveness.

Your stock clutch/flywheel is a dual mass unit. If you go with a Nismo, single mass flywheel, you will have a nice improvement, virtually chatter free and still smooth engagement. Probably the way the car should have come in the first place. You can still use this unit with a low boost FI, on stock internals for example, such as supercharger or turbo, and be fine. Cost differential over stock parts is negligible for the clutch, so just a slightly lighter flywheel parts upgrade.

If you want to deal with the increased sensitivity of a light weight flywheel, and potential for stalling the car at stoplights, etc., then you can go to the other products including the Jim Wolf product. It is outstanding, as is anything that Jim Wolf releases to the market, but you will hear the classic "cement mixer" rattle at idle. IF that does not bother you, this is a solid unit that delivers the light weight flywheel/clutch performance returns and you can use it on FI too.

IF you want to pop the bucks for the carbon units, I have a three disc ATS and it has been totally awesome, for both track and street, but with a 10 pound flywheel you have to be very precise with the clutch. If you are not tracking the car, this might be a lot more than you need. I have used it in stop and go freeway traffic in Los Angeles, and it does not get much tougher than that...and it is butter smooth. But definitely NOT the unit for everyone. I had the single disc Exedy, but it could not take the track punishment I gave it. Probably ok for stock use on the streets. Smooth and quiet.

Finally there is a Tilton unit that weighs about 8 pounds. Check around and drive one before you buy one. Great racing unit, bit dicey on the streets though.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the ClutchMasters Stage III clutch (FX300) for 2 years now, no problems.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 AM
JWT is good clutch/flywheel combo..not an intense grab, and the flywheel is about 14lbs..not to light. better than closer to 28lbs tho..haha. i like it!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run an os giken STR twin clutch and lightweight flywheel. Its grabby cuz the friction material is sintered bronze, but I really like it.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 AM
We're running competition clutches stage 4 with flywheel and I have to admit I am very impressed on pedal feel and how quiet it is. I've run other systems, and have to say this is definately worth the money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which clutch are you guys running?