Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

carbon fiber driveshaft???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
as for Nissan having a good reason = well I guess that could be said about the entire car and therefore modding wouldn’t be advantageous at all... but some of us like to try different things...
It depends on what component you're talking about. If it's the exhaust, there is some power to be found, but lowend power and throttle response may be impact as well as the NVH increase. Some people can deal with the side effects of the power gain. Then there are things like the driveshaft. Nissan clearly saw a safety and/or fitment issue with using a one piece driveshaft. Nissan has very expensive machines and fancy engineers to tell them what is the ideal design compared to a "shop" that knows they can make something fit, but doesn't necessarily know why the OEM part was designed the way it was.

IMO, people put way too much faith in these lightweight driveshafts. It is your money though. I had a 94 Z28 and the OEM steel driveshaft had a pretty bad vibration at 75mph. I suggested that they try the 1LE aluminum driveshaft that was used on the 96+ SS. To my amazement, GM installed it . The vibration disappeared and I got a 15lb lighter and stronger driveshaft. On the dyno, it was worth a mere 2whp

Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those pix were the one i was talkn about... oh and as for the 2 piece design..its to soften the driveline.. well thats the reaso ford did it with the mustang.. my stangs piece weighed in at 46lbs.. driveshaft shop made one that weighed 18lbs.. it also converted it to 1 piece.. their shaft makes your car stronger and ford has noticed.. so have saleen and rouche.. so if there is something small in the way of a one piece for the G35 coupe.. move it if its not vital...

Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
It depends on what component you're talking about. If it's the exhaust, there is some power to be found, but lowend power and throttle response may be impact as well as the NVH increase. Some people can deal with the side effects of the power gain. Then there are things like the driveshaft. Nissan clearly saw a safety and/or fitment issue with using a one piece driveshaft. Nissan has very expensive machines and fancy engineers to tell them what is the ideal design compared to a "shop" that knows they can make something fit, but doesn't necessarily know why the OEM part was designed the way it was.

IMO, people put way too much faith in these lightweight driveshafts. It is your money though. I had a 94 Z28 and the OEM steel driveshaft had a pretty bad vibration at 75mph. I suggested that they try the 1LE aluminum driveshaft that was used on the 96+ SS. To my amazement, GM installed it . The vibration disappeared and I got a 15lb lighter and stronger driveshaft. On the dyno, it was worth a mere 2whp
yep, Nissan did a great job in the design of the slope on the plenum ...

There are many things that are able to be better on just about any car... My sole purpose of this car is performance... I don't care about smooth shifts, cushy comfort ride, or anyting else that the sedan was designed for... initially when I bought the car those were the reasons - but needs have changed.

If I hadn’t already put so much time and effort into this car I'd be in a Z and call it a day.

But anyway - like I said before - I would not destroy my OEM shaft to do the one piece CF (which is why I haven’t done it yet)... if the coupe shaft is the same exact dimensions, I will probably have them make a CF for my sedan... from what has been inspected and reviewed from sources I trust, there shouldn’t be any issues... now that I know a shaft has been designed, detailed measurements of size and angles will be taken to see if this is a viable option.

Having Nissan not make it one piece OEM is not a deal killer for me because they are in business to make a one-stop-shop car that appeals to the masses... and the majority of sedan buyers are not interested in things I am into for this car - so it makes sense that Nissan does different design function.

It will be a while before I even do this - I still have many other projects piling up.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by sheplex02
those pix were the one i was talkn about... oh and as for the 2 piece design..its to soften the driveline.. well thats the reaso ford did it with the mustang.. my stangs piece weighed in at 46lbs.. driveshaft shop made one that weighed 18lbs.. it also converted it to 1 piece.. their shaft makes your car stronger and ford has noticed.. so have saleen and rouche.. so if there is something small in the way of a one piece for the G35 coupe.. move it if its not vital...
the only thing in the way is about 1" each side of housing around the OEM shaft about mid way... its easily cut and modified

Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
is that a mounting point you would need to cut away? ie.. cutting it would prevent you from putting the stock one back in?

Interesting project. If it saves a ton of weight, could be good.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
is that a mounting point you would need to cut away? ie.. cutting it would prevent you from putting the stock one back in?

Interesting project. If it saves a ton of weight, could be good.
no, not a mounting point... next time your car is on a rack take a good look - you'll see what I'm referring to... I'll post pics one of these days if I think of it.

This project is so far on the back burner I cant believe I've even spent this much time in the thread... I was real anxious to do it a while back... I'm just glad to see they have made one so now my interest is back.

Can anyone confirm whether the coupe OEM shaft is the same exact specs as the sedan? I suspect not - but I'm hopeful.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether the coupe OEM shaft is the same exact specs as the sedan? I suspect not - but I'm hopeful.
I don't know why it would be any different. They share the same exact underpinnings, wheelbase, etc. I've got the coupe FSM and the "propeller shaft" looks exactly like the one on my sedan.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:23 AM
well im def thinking about adding this to the build sheet then.. more wanting it for the shock absorbtion than the weight loss.. though i will def be happy bout it..

Old 08-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
The coupe uses a two piece driveshaft and it appears that using a one piece unit is not a good idea because the OEM 2 piece driveshaft system employees three univerisal joints. That tells me that there is quite a bit of movement between the front and rear subframe chassis mounts. If you go with the one piece unit, you'll run the risk of having the shaft contact the underbody which could be very dangerous. The driveshaft is already tucked high up in the tunnel therefore extending the angle of driveshaft movement by getting rid of the other univerisal joints could be a really bad idea. There's good reason why Nissan used a two piece shaft in these cars. It would have been cheaper to use the system like the Z, but clearly the 8" longer wheelbase in the G results in more shaft movement.
+1.

That was the first thing i thought of when i started reading this thread...

-Sean

Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
yep, Nissan did a great job in the design of the slope on the plenum ...

There are many things that are able to be better on just about any car... My sole purpose of this car is performance... I don't care about smooth shifts, cushy comfort ride, or anyting else that the sedan was designed for... initially when I bought the car those were the reasons - but needs have changed.

If I hadn’t already put so much time and effort into this car I'd be in a Z and call it a day.

But anyway - like I said before - I would not destroy my OEM shaft to do the one piece CF (which is why I haven’t done it yet)... if the coupe shaft is the same exact dimensions, I will probably have them make a CF for my sedan... from what has been inspected and reviewed from sources I trust, there shouldn’t be any issues... now that I know a shaft has been designed, detailed measurements of size and angles will be taken to see if this is a viable option.

Having Nissan not make it one piece OEM is not a deal killer for me because they are in business to make a one-stop-shop car that appeals to the masses... and the majority of sedan buyers are not interested in things I am into for this car - so it makes sense that Nissan does different design function.

It will be a while before I even do this - I still have many other projects piling up.
OC - i don't think you understand what he is trying to say. My close friend who works for nissan complains about the drive shafts on the 350z because he has seen countless numbers of them come in cracked and or damaged. If you have a single piece design and the body has flex you run the risk of cracking your drive shaft, which is going to cause a fair amount of damage.

I wouldn't do it.

-Sean

Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
ur talkn bout sedans wheel base correct?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
i just dont see how the G coupe has an 8" longer wheel base than the Z..

Old 08-09-2008, 12:16 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
back seats

Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
anyone know how much stock driveshaft weighs?

Old 11-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Back from the dead, i'm now looking into this, LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber driveshaft???