Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

possible bad throw out bearing and shop mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
possible bad throw out bearing and shop mistake?

I need advice on what you guys thing is wrong and what I should do with my situation. I think I know the answer already but want some reinforcement from fellow members......

Back ground:

My oem tranny took a dump ( bad 6th gear synchro) so I had it replaced under warranty. I figured why not change the clutch and fly while at it. Good thing I did, the clutch was almost toast, figures since the first owner lived in los altos hills.

I gave the dealer a new clutch, fly, throw out, and pilot bearing to be replaced.

Problem:

Sometimes when I shift I hear a fluttering/ticking sound( like cars that have turbo and no bov/ non working bov sound) when I push the clutch down. The sound goes slower as the rmp's drop. If I Hold the clutch to the floor and rev it I hear this fluttering/ ticking sound increase with the rpm's. When I let go of the clutch it goes away. From what this tells me is that the Throw out bearing is going bad. It only does it sometimes, but it has been getting more often and louder with in the last 2 weeks. Also if I push the clutch and it does it, if I let go and push the clutch in again right after it goes away, it is only some times the sound is there.

Help:
I think the throw out is going bad, I dont think this should be right, because I gave the dealer new parts to put in the car. When they did the repair they only gave me the old tranny in a box( which i sold to a forum member here) But I did not see the old throw out, and pilot bearing.

I am questioning if the dealer did put in my new throw out bearing, I never heard of a new throw out going out after 2k miles.....

solution?:

If you guys do think it is the throw out, what should I do when I talk to the dealer. I have a feeling they are going to say that its not their part so they wont cover it, but I really doubt its the part and I feel that they did not change it.

I took it back a week ago. And I went to go on a road test with a mechanic and they were on "lunch". So the a lower level service manager went with me on the car ride, I point out what was wrong and they said that its normal, and their mechanic says its normal. I have never head this being normal on any car. It seems like the dealer knows the throw out is bad but they dont want to admit it and have to fork out the labor to replace it. I do not want to pay 600 dollars for the labor for them to replace a bearing that they should have.

Please let me know what you think.TIA

Last edited by boostedforlife; 09-08-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ultimately you are in a bit of a pickle. Because you weren't there when the work was done, and thus couldn't watch them do them, its hard to know if they changed the bearing. I will say that this should be standard practice...but I don't know the mechanic or the dealer you are working with and even if I did I could only assume one way or the other.

When you have a bearing issue there will typically be noise with the pedal released. It is typically perceived as a squealing sound. When you compress the pedal the bearing loads the diaphragm fingers and this eliminates any real ability for the bearing to make noise. Lets look at a few other possibilities. Where does your engagement occur (relative to pedal travel)? Have you noticed any inconsistency in engagement? Is the pedal mushy or overly soft then stiffer on occasion? If so, you could be experiencing a slave or master cylinder issue.

What clutch did you provided them with? Does it use the stock SAC-plate design? Or is it an aftermarket unit that forgoes this asselbly? Let me know as this could be relative to your issue. Thanks,

Old 09-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
I was going to say...did you replace everything with stock OEM parts or..?

I swapped mine for a lightened/forged flywheel and it's louder than all hell now at low RPMs, but mainly only during clutch-out or engagement. Never when clutch is all the way down.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
It could be relative to a flywheel too...but when the pedal is loaded this sound generally goes away too. Because the OP hears the sound with the pedal depressed it rules a few things out and generally speaking the flywhel would be one of them. Of course, anything is possible...it would be a lot easier if we could hear the noise. OP, where are you located?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
tranny

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Ultimately you are in a bit of a pickle. Because you weren't there when the work was done, and thus couldn't watch them do them, its hard to know if they changed the bearing. I will say that this should be standard practice...but I don't know the mechanic or the dealer you are working with and even if I did I could only assume one way or the other.

When you have a bearing issue there will typically be noise with the pedal released. It is typically perceived as a squealing sound. When you compress the pedal the bearing loads the diaphragm fingers and this eliminates any real ability for the bearing to make noise. Lets look at a few other possibilities. Where does your engagement occur (relative to pedal travel)? Have you noticed any inconsistency in engagement? Is the pedal mushy or overly soft then stiffer on occasion? If so, you could be experiencing a slave or master cylinder issue.

What clutch did you provided them with? Does it use the stock SAC-plate design? Or is it an aftermarket unit that forgoes this asselbly? Let me know as this could be relative to your issue. Thanks,

The dealer is Beshoff Infiniti. I wish I was there, they showed me the old clutch and fly but I didn't see the old throwout/ pilot bearing. They seem legit and I would hate to think they made a mistake, but from the way they acted when I brought it back and didn't let me ride with a mechanic to hear the noise( they magically were gone so a lower level service manager went for a ride with me) makes me think something shady is going on. I will be going back there this week to talk to the head service manager.

I am using a excedy oem replacement, with a lightened flywheel. ( since the oem is too expensive to replace)

The clutch pedal is pretty stiff the mechanics said compared to a new car, in which is it but its okay with me. I did drive a new 37 sedan and my pedal is a lot stiffer than the new car.

The engagement is in the middle i would say. I don't have to push it to the floor to engage, and also I can tap the pedal and it wont come out, so I have room at the top and bottom.

I did notice the louder sound at low rpms under a load( like everyone else said sounds like a cement mixer) I understand these trannys make a lot of noise when you get right of the dual mass flywheel, so im not referring to that sound.

The car drove fine for the first 2k miles and it just started about 3 weeks ago. I think I had the replacement in june?

I have been checking my clutch fluid and it hasn't gone down at all.

I initial thought the clutch wasn't fully dis in gauging, and when I told the dealer that they said im pushing the pedal too far to the ground and to only push it as far as I need, but it still does it even if I only push half way. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I will try to take a video but I dont know how good/ clear you will be able to hear it with me in the car.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best to let us take a look. We have installed plenty of light weight flywheels and clutches and are familiar with them. In all fairness, we ask that for a chance to address the issue before suggesting that parts were not replaced that should have been. Call me at (408) 531-3000 and I will work to sort this out with you.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
^That is great to hear, hope that you guys get it situated.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
There you go! I am sure that Brian and the guys will be able to shed some light on this. Keep us posted and let me know what you all find.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Here is an update for everyone.

Brian was great and He took care of what should have been done by the first service manager that talked to me.

The Main tech drove the car and thought it was the throw out. They pulled the tranny yesterday and confirmed that it is the TRANNY it self that took a dump.

I Just wanted to say thanks for everyone on here for your support and for BRIAN and beshoff to make things right.

This will be deleted soon as people can see the update that Brian is a great guy and he holds True to the great Beshoff name.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:29 AM
mods please lock this thread. It has been resolved.