Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

DIY - Transgo VB Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Brwn5454
Nothing wrong with it.

If you look around to those with FI and AT's most of them choose to go with Redline D4 as most believe it keeps things cooler and allows for colder weather smooth shifts.

I ran S-matic for 35,000 miles and had nothing wrong with it, don't get me wrong. I switched to Redline D4 when I put in my high stall torque converter and love the new feel.

Do what you are most comfortable with!
what torque converter did you go with?

I haven't heard of many people going away from the matic-j/matic-s for the transmissions...

Are the fluids compatible at all?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with an Edge Racing High Stall converter...Andre (an Edge Racing employee) and I agreed to set the stall to 3200 as its a DD that I take to the track when I can.

Redline D4 ATF is compatible with Nissan S and J Matic ATF.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by MikeGrote
gotcha, i have a trans cooler so it should stay plenty cool with that for what power i have right now
I've got a trans cooler as well, but with FI it's always good to take the extra steps to insure safety...when possible.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
brwn, what are you putting to the wheels? (im not putting down stock numbers either)

Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 AM
393/325

Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 AM
and you feel an aftermarket tq converter is necessary for under 400? or did you just get that because you track sometimes?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by MikeGrote
and you feel an aftermarket tq converter is necessary for under 400? or did you just get that because you track sometimes?
It is not necessary, no. I purchased it because I track the car when possible, and it puts you in boost much faster when having alittle innocent fun on the street.

By no means necessary, by all means fun!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
gotcha

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm sorry can you explain the differences in high vs regular or low stall converter?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Difference being you can hold 3200 at launch right?

I'm just not sure its worth it for 1000 rpm higher stall. What other benefits are there to the Edge TC?

I talked to DaveO a long time ago about the Edge TC - I think he was the first person to get one. He was under the impression that it gave him some extra torque over the stock as well. He loved it.

I'm still on the fence as to whether its worth upgrading the TC unless you are in the 450+ HP range

Old 02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
In short, your torque converter will slip allowing you to:

1. Yes, launch at a higher RPM
2. Accelerate MUCH quicker as the modified TC is much more efficient than the stock unit and allows you to reach your prime powerband immediatley.

If you power brake a stock G to say 2200 RPMs and then pop your foot of the brake and floor it...ever noticed that it takes forever and year to get into the meat of your powerband...say around 3500 RPMs? That is fixed by a high stall converter.

Low stall torque converters are used for diesel trucks and such that have the bulk of their powerband really low...thus you do not want the torque converter slipping, rather it locks up and delivers the goods at a lower RPM.

High stall = slipping until a higher RPM, an indirect feel around town
Low stall = locking up at say 1800 RPM to get the torque down quick, but it will rev rather slowly, a direct feel around town (stockish)

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
^Yep.

A higher stall torque converter simply increases torque multiplication. The easiest way to explain a TC's operation is to revisualize two fans facing each other. Turn one fan on, and slowly, the other fan will start to turn. After a while, the fan will be spinning a fast rate. This is basically how a TC works. Instead of air being the transfer media, it's ATF fluid. The spinning fan would be the motor and the turned off fan would be the TC attached to the driveshaft. TCs will take the engine torque and multiply it substainially. On a launch, a TC can generate a far more significant amount of torque multiplication than a manual transmission and it is also easier on the drivetrain because you can preload it, therefore saving differentials and driveshafts from grenading. This is the main reason why autos are so effective in drag racing.

The higher the stall, the more torque multiplication it generates. The downside is increased initial slippage, somewhat reduced throttle response at part throttle, additional fluid heat, and reduced mpgs.

The OEM TC is rated with a 2800rpm stall per the FSM. That's a pretty high stall for a OEM TC. The converter is actually quite small and efficent and is much the reason why the autos are pretty responsive compared to other autos on the market. Additionally, the TC includes a slip-lock function which basically allows the TC to be partly locked at certain rpms and loads which can improve both acceleration, response, and mpgs.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the more indepth explaination Dave.

I know my stock TC did not stall anywhere around 2800...I would guess I stalled more around 2200...concerning power braking.

There are a bunch of different aspects of "stalls". The link below explains each one:

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/...3d47b3f60aa250

Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by DaveB
^Yep.

A higher stall torque converter simply increases torque multiplication. The easiest way to explain a TC's operation is to revisualize two fans facing each other. Turn one fan on, and slowly, the other fan will start to turn. After a while, the fan will be spinning a fast rate. This is basically how a TC works. Instead of air being the transfer media, it's ATF fluid. The spinning fan would be the motor and the turned off fan would be the TC attached to the driveshaft. TCs will take the engine torque and multiply it substainially. On a launch, a TC can generate a far more significant amount of torque multiplication than a manual transmission and it is also easier on the drivetrain because you can preload it, therefore saving differentials and driveshafts from grenading. This is the main reason why autos are so effective in drag racing.

The higher the stall, the more torque multiplication it generates. The downside is increased initial slippage, somewhat reduced throttle response at part throttle, additional fluid heat, and reduced mpgs.

The OEM TC is rated with a 2800rpm stall per the FSM. That's a pretty high stall for a OEM TC. The converter is actually quite small and efficent and is much the reason why the autos are pretty responsive compared to other autos on the market. Additionally, the TC includes a slip-lock function which basically allows the TC to be partly locked at certain rpms and loads which can improve both acceleration, response, and mpgs.
With the transgo kit installed, I'm pretty sure I can feel the TC go between full lock, to part lock. You definitely feel the transmissions more often.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Brwn5454
Thanks for the more indepth explaination Dave.

I know my stock TC did not stall anywhere around 2800...I would guess I stalled more around 2200...concerning power braking.

There are a bunch of different aspects of "stalls". The link below explains each one:

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/...3d47b3f60aa250
What is your opinion of the EDGE TC? How would you compare it to stock?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY - Transgo VB Kit