Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

VDC: Toggle Switch for Yaw control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb VDC: Toggle Switch for Yaw control?

So I was reading about disconnecting The VDC/EBC via the yaw sensor under the center column. This option appears to leave the ABS intact. However, I live in Ohio where snow/rain is unfortunately all too common-and in these situations want the VDC on. So I was wondering if the electronic modding experts could come up with a toggle switch for the yaw sensor control?

Would this work?

Thanks,

g4ian

Old 12-06-2004, 06:20 PM
in theory it's totally possible. We'd need a wiring diagram, and a few bucks to blow in radio shack.

I'll look again in my service manuals and see if I can find a diagram.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Where in Ohio are you? I'm not sure I understand the theory behind this proposed mod? Why isn't shutting VDC off enough? I've had my VDC kick in twice with it off. Both times I was out of control and it saved my car from being damaged. The first time was in the rain and I did a 180 just being stupid. If VDC wouldn't have came back on and saved me I would have been over the curb and my car would have been screwed.

The 2nd time was last Saturday when I was in a parking lot. I had VDC off and I got tboned by a Caddy that was doing 20+mph. My G didn't even do a 180. VDC kicked in and stopped the car from spinning wildly through the lot.

I've heard several people complain that VDC Off simply isn't good enough. Where and how are you driving these cars? Mine is putting down 380rwhp and like I said I have never had a problem with the simple off setting.

I have a 6mt.

To answer your question though, KPtechnologies VDC module could easily be modified to output a 'VDC Off' signal that could be used to drive a relay that could possibly be used to disconnect the sensor as needed. I would have to look in to it all a little more.

Originally Posted by g4ian
So I was reading about disconnecting The VDC/EBC via the yaw sensor under the center column. This option appears to leave the ABS intact. However, I live in Ohio where snow/rain is unfortunately all too common-and in these situations want the VDC on. So I was wondering if the electronic modding experts could come up with a toggle switch for the yaw sensor control?

Would this work?

Thanks,

g4ian

Old 12-08-2004, 08:32 AM
This is a quote stollen from bosssho....

"With a 6MT this is not an issue at all...Zero...You guys have to learn to feather/slip the clutch on track take offs and I still feel that when someone does that they will break into the 13's with as little as a Z-Tube and CAI.

For a 5AT, what happens is this...you come up to the staging tree, trip the lights, get set to go and bring up the engine revs...if the revs come up to "X" RPMS (Which I don't know what that magic number is) the Yaw Rate/Side G-Sensor (Dave help me here) may be coming into play via algorhythms that detect what will turn into slippage...so the car backs off a ton of power, IE, fuel, timing, whatever...and the car bogs...and then as you take off...under perfect traction...and the revs hit about 2750 the car turns into an animal and it's like the turbo just spooled up, abeit a small turbo, but nonetheless it's a nice feeling all the way until the 3rd gear shift comes and then it becomse boring again."

BUT...if I could get the car to launch at say 3500 with Drag Radials and no bog...I think I would see a 1.9-2.0 60' time which means 13.7-13.9 1,320' later!"

The current method of turning off the VDC is pulling the fuse in the battery compartemt. But this is not a pratical solution to routinely do. I want the full power of the engine and the ability to modulate it myself-but just on occasion. For the most part in Ohio, it will be wet, raining, or snowing, or I will be in mundane traffic and I will want my VDC on. It just isnt smart to have it off in situations like this...As you said yourself, you had spun out while driving in the rain the the VDC off-(I am not sure why would want if off then). A true instant on/off VDC control for the 5 AT would be very nice IMHO.

g4iaqn

Old 12-08-2004, 11:13 AM
It is not just for the launch that VDC becomes a problem. I find that I need to fully shut off the VDC for agressive driving situations, on dry pavement. I believe that when I autox, with just the VDC button used, the active ABS will disrupt the lines I am trying to take on the course. This will also show up in agressive street driving. It is not as obvious as when the vehicle dynamic control is in on, but it is noticeable and affects my lap times. I would like to try temporarily disabling the Yaw sensor to see if this is actually what is sending the signal to the computer, but I live in snow country and I need the VDC regularly. Pulling the fuse every time I go to the autox is not a long term solution as the fuse holder was never meant to have the fuse inserted and removed a hundred times. It will eventually fail. How about a fused switch that ties into the 50 amp fuse location. The switch could still be placed inside the car for easy access.

Old 12-10-2004, 01:21 PM
well put Lloyd, it's not just launching on the drag strip.

the launch issue is because of your torque converter. The AT has a TC that is set to give you brake torque stall at about 2500-2700 RPM. It retards the engine to prevent shocking the drivetrain.

VDC also controlls active ABS via "brake LSD". Lloyd is right, and I have confirmed this time and time again...active ABS will kick the brake LSD in, causing one sided braking to help combat excessive yaw, which leads to loss of traction. Disabling the YAW sensor will probably help the brakeLSD function, but not the torque converter function.

The easiest test would be to disable it (YAW) and see if you can pool the engine higher than 2700 rpm at stop. If you can't i'm right. If you can, i'm wrong.

I'm still pulling the fuse, as it's the only tried and true way to disable the entire VDC system, including active ABS, that we have found yet.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
From the looks of the service manual the VDC module is right under the drivers side dash. It should be very easy to install a switch in the power line of the module, instead of pulling the fuse every time. The power wire appears to be a green/red wire in Pin 1 of the module. As far as the YAW sensor goes its hard to say what will happen if you disconnect it. I think (total guess) that it will send the system in to fail safe mode and disable everything - just like pulling the fuse. I'm sure you will have to 'trick' the vdc brain into thinking that the YAW sensor is still attached.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Kevin,
This may Help (posted originally by skix)

"There is a thread in MY350Z http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthr...?threadid=85956

Here is a qoute from there

"Disconecting the Bosch Yaw sensor under the center console (below e-brake) will disable bothe VDC/EBD without disabling the ABS! "

Here is how for 350Z and G35 coupe

"1. Remove key from ignition

There are 5 screws to remove on the Z (only 4 on the G35C)

2. First two screws are on either side of console towards the rear, it helps to slide both seats all the way forward, and tilted to access these.

3. Next screw is under the ash tray (lift up) (the G35C does not have this one)

4. Next you will need to pull up gently on the shifter boot plastic cover... I do this by sticking my hand in the leather boot and pulling up until it clicks in a few places. (You do not need to remove the shift ****)

5. You should now see the last two screws below holding the center console in place. (Be carefull not to tear the electric ribbon for the heater controls on the Z and there is one electrical plug to unplug on the G35C if you have heated seats).

6. With the center console lifted up over your e-brake handle (pull the brake up high to make it easier to remove the center console) you will see there are two sensors: The one towards the rear is for the airbag (DO NOT DISCONNECT THIS ONE) The one towards the front (directly behind the shifter) is a black sensor with BOSCH sticker. This is the one you should un-plug. The clips for the plug are on either side of the connector. Secure the loose connector to avoid future rattles.

7. Replace center console reverse of removal.

Enjoy the much improved throttle and brake response of your car! " "

Tell me what you think...

Thanks,

g4ian

Old 06-07-2005, 09:59 PM
If unplugging the yaw sensor is the safest way, I would just find the power lead for it and drop a toggle switch say next to the chair heater switches or some other convenient place on the center console.

I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty that unplugging this module will have no ill effects though (aside from driving beyond your capabilities =)

Old 06-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Someone do this to their 5AT and see if that nasty bog goes away

Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Necromanced... I will do this and report back so I can figure it out, and future people can figure this one out (probably already solved, yikes).