Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Transmission/Diff Whine??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission/Diff Whine??

It sounds like a supercharger whining. The whine starts around 1,800 RPM and stays until about 4,600 RPM where I think the sound of the engine drowns it out. It happens with engine hot or cold. Does it with outside temperature hot or cold. Only does it under partial throttle in first and second and very faintly in third. As I accelerate the noise of the whining sounds speeds up. Does NOT make the sound coasting with the clutch pedal pressed in. Does NOT make the sounds when it is neutral and costing. Does NOT make the sounds if i rev the engine up when in neutral. Only happens when I am in a gear and under partial/normal acceleration. Under WOT I dont hear it but this might be because the exhaust drowns it out. It believe it is coming from the tranny.

Is this normal for our cars to make a bit of gear whine? For what it's worth my car is an 06 6MT Coupe w/ 35k on it.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I have a similar whining sound but my happens when the car is warmed up and im in Idle betweem 600-1000 rpm. When I give it gas in neutral the sounds goes away but as it comes to idle it starts again. Im not sure what it is but sounds like its coming from the flywheel area. I have a JWT clutch/flywheel. This is not affecting any vortech power.

Next time I' m at my tuners im going to ask him to diagose it. I will update this thread.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I have this as well but mine is because i have a solid diff bushing so its normal for it to whine just not so normal for you to hear it with the stock bushing.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamy
It sounds like a supercharger whining. The whine starts around 1,800 RPM and stays until about 4,600 RPM where I think the sound of the engine drowns it out. It happens with engine hot or cold. Does it with outside temperature hot or cold. Only does it under partial throttle in first and second and very faintly in third. As I accelerate the noise of the whining sounds speeds up. Does NOT make the sound coasting with the clutch pedal pressed in. Does NOT make the sounds when it is neutral and costing. Does NOT make the sounds if i rev the engine up when in neutral. Only happens when I am in a gear and under partial/normal acceleration. Under WOT I dont hear it but this might be because the exhaust drowns it out. It believe it is coming from the tranny.

Is this normal for our cars to make a bit of gear whine? For what it's worth my car is an 06 6MT Coupe w/ 35k on it.
^^^ I know your sound exactly exactly. I always notice it when I'm driving through my subdivision because its quiet and im coasting in second gear with minimal exhaust or engine noise. It annoys me, so i usually coast in third where it is much quieter.

I would still love to know what it is and if I can do something about it.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't noticed that one in particular. My loudest transmission whines are all through 4th gear under power, and the rear end is loud cruising from about 70-78MPH. I've had two G's that were the same.