Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 11:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clutch Replacement Options

Holy crap, I have to replace my clutch. Being a 19 year old and this being my first manual car I had no idea what this was gonna cost me. Rant aside, there is the Oem Exedy one on Amazon for $280 or I found one on Rockauto.com by M-Pact for $178. I know a lot of you guys stand by the oem ones and if the M-pact ones are S*** then I will get that one. So all in all what is my best option? I don't make a ton but I refuse to cheap out on this car so what is your opinion?

Thanks,
George

P.S. I'm gonna talk to the Nissan Dealership near me to see what they will charge me for it.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:29 AM
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Sure, get the exedy OEM clutch and have your flywheel shaved while your at it..

Old 08-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
OE clutches are a good idea unless you take your G to the drags, only then would you need more bite/grab! Besides Nissan, try a trans shop in your area for the install. Never hurts to shop around...Gary

Old 08-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
DO NOT replace the clutch without machining or better yet, replacing the flywheel! It's my understanding that the factory flywheel in NOT machinable (somebody jump in if I'm wrong here). It's also a "dual mass" flywheel which stops the "chatter" that comes from a light weight flywheel. If you go the OEM route, DON'T go to the dealer. They will charge you $2000+. 5-6 years ago, I replaced mine with a Jim Wolf Technology Clutch pack. It includes a light weight flywheel (faster revs and REPLACEABLE friction surfaces) clutch disc, pressure plate, pivot sleeve, pilot tool and SS clutch line. It was less than $800 for the set then. I got it installed (I didn't want to mess with removing the exhaust.) for about $600. The thing is, most likely, I will never need a new one. This thing is good for 450hp/450tq and with a stock motor, I think it will last many years.

The only two drawbacks to this combo is the clutch chatter (doesn't bother me) and the clutch pedal effort is about tripled (again doesn't bother me OR my wife).

Kyle still has the deal going from Importpartspro.com HERE

Old 08-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Great, I appreciate all the responses here. The Jim Wolfe is a little spendy for my army salary but how do you think this one looks? https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...bo-p-2405.html
I'm absolutely gonna get it installed because I do not want to deal with install.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:17 AM
Hoping to get a few responses here...From what I understand driving on a bad clutch is how flywheels get messed up. As soon as I started feeling an issue in it I've been driving it very little, also the car only has 88k on it. Money is seriously tight right now so I'm trying to see if I can do the clutch without the flywheel. I am also having it done by a guy in my club (He's reputable) so I'm saving money on the install. Basically am I screwing myself if I don't do the flywheel at the same time?

Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Skippedcollege
Hoping to get a few responses here...From what I understand driving on a bad clutch is how flywheels get messed up. As soon as I started feeling an issue in it I've been driving it very little, also the car only has 88k on it. Money is seriously tight right now so I'm trying to see if I can do the clutch without the flywheel. I am also having it done by a guy in my club (He's reputable) so I'm saving money on the install. Basically am I screwing myself if I don't do the flywheel at the same time?
yes, I tried the same many years ago with a truck I had, in three months it was chattering so bad you could hardly drive it.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:18 PM
What if I do them both but at separate times? I can do clutch this weekend and the flywheel two weeks from now when I get paid again. Is this a fairly reasonable solution?

Old 08-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
No. Just wait the three weeks and do it all at once. Don't make your friend open it up twice.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Am I going to be okay driving my car for that long?

Old 08-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
What if I do them both but at separate times? I can do clutch this weekend and the flywheel two weeks from now when I get paid again. Is this a fairly reasonable solution?

NO! just imagine an average clutch install is $500 x2 for flywheel if doing it 2 weeks after. Unless you're doing it yourself and don't mind dropping the tranny twice for the install but what's the point?

Good things comes to those who wait and saves $$ patiently!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Hard to tell from this distance, and you haven't said what's wrong. Must have been driven hard to be going out at 88k. Wondering what other big bills are coming your way....

Old 08-28-2016, 05:57 PM
It's hard for me to sum up the problems well. I have the burnt rubber smell after a little bit of driving, also the pedal is floppy with nearly 4-5 inches of play before it engages. I'm the second owner so I don't really know it's history well and honestly I'm not particularly easy on the car myself. I maintain it as best I can but this is the first major thing that is being done. I'll wait the 3 weeks if you guys think I can drive it for that long

Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Just go as easy as you can on it until you replace everything.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
It's hard for me to sum up the problems well. I have the burnt rubber smell after a little bit of driving, also the pedal is floppy with nearly 4-5 inches of play before it engages. I'm the second owner so I don't really know it's history well and honestly I'm not particularly easy on the car myself. I maintain it as best I can but this is the first major thing that is being done. I'll wait the 3 weeks if you guys think I can drive it for that long
I had the "floppy pedal" while I was in Tahoe (and only tahoe, musta been something with the elevation change) anyways there's some sorta plunger button behind the pedal that seemed to help. Might hold you over until you're ready for a new clutch/flywheel combo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement Options