Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

WOW What a difference...clutch adjustment. Its like a new car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW What a difference...clutch adjustment. Its like a new car!

Gotta tell you that I have been driving manuals for a while, thought I was pretty good...
But for the life of me I couldn't get consistent clean shifts in my G. Starting thinking about it, then used that magic word "search."
I found a easy to do article on adjusting the height of the clutch pedal, so I decided to give it a try.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
I swear this car feels likes its price now. Clean flawless shifts everytime. 2nd gear stutter gone! Uphill launches no problem. City traffic is effortless.
I turned my clutch fork 2 1/2 times and now it engages about half an inch from the floor, clutch pedal even with the brake.
I'm so excited now! Hate to seem so riled up, but this really is the easiest, MUST DO, Free mod for the G. You really don't know what you are missing until you try it. The factory setting is much too high. This mod really cleans up the rowing!!!!!
Thanks!

Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As was said in other threads, this is going to leave your clutch partially depressed at all times. If you are happy with reducing the friction, increasing the chance for it to slip, increasing the wear and making it break sooner, go for it. Otherwise I would avoid this mod.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:01 AM
Yep, I did mine about the same and it made the car drivable. The stock setup was absolutely crap.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:51 AM
u just gotta learn to modulate the clutch better.... clutch's on hondas, acuras (except S2k and NSX) have a really LONG clutch range making it easier to be smooth...

but with the G35, 350z the clutch travel is short so in a sense every movement is multiplied... so learn to modulate the clutch better than you should have NO problem keeping it smooth...

Old 03-15-2005, 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by s4m222
u just gotta learn to modulate the clutch better.... clutch's on hondas, acuras (except S2k and NSX) have a really LONG clutch range making it easier to be smooth...

but with the G35, 350z the clutch travel is short so in a sense every movement is multiplied... so learn to modulate the clutch better than you should have NO problem keeping it smooth...

It's not about learning how to drive with a sloppy mechanism. If you choose to settle for that setup and it works for you then great, but by no means is it the ideal setup for everyone. I think it is a poor setup for sporty driving. Having so much extra slack in the clutch mechanism will also eventually lead to premature wear because people will ride it close to the engagement point causing a lot more slippage. If you shorten the throw, things become more crisp and sure causing less wear and tear. A short throw shifter makes similar improvements to the sloppy stock shift mechanism.

I think it mainly depends on the type of driving you do, which is why short throw shifters are so popular with sports cars.

Last edited by copbait; 03-15-2005 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:07 AM
This mod does put a lot of wear on the clutch. Not sure if it is a "must do" mod based on the possible negative effects arising from it.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by copbait
It's not about learning how to drive with a sloppy mechanism. If you choose to settle for that setup and it works for you then great, but by no means is it the ideal setup for everyone. I think it is a poor setup for sporty driving. Having so much extra slack in the clutch mechanism will also eventually lead to premature wear because people will ride it close to the engagement point causing a lot more slippage. If you shorten the throw, things become more crisp and sure causing less wear and tear. A short throw shifter makes similar improvements to the sloppy stock shift mechanism.

I think it mainly depends on the type of driving you do, which is why short throw shifters are so popular with sports cars.
You are riding the clutch all the time with that mod. The wear is going to be much worse. I personally would suggest you find a complete solution that isn't going to wear out your clutch.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwoz
You are riding the clutch all the time with that mod. The wear is going to be much worse. I personally would suggest you find a complete solution that isn't going to wear out your clutch.
I've got to agree with this. Nissan is very specific about adjusting clutch height and clutch travel on their hydraulic clutches. Too much adjustment and you'll wear the clutch out very quickly and too little and it won't engage. There's a fine line betweem too much and too little.

I do agree that Nissan clutches do have a on/off nature, they're hard to drive smoothly, and have nasty vibrations through the pedals. I was disappointed to find the G's 6 speed behaved exactly like my 96 Maxima's clutch. The only thing I like about my Maxima's hydraulic clutch was that the set up was great for racing and happily took all the abuse I could throw at it.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:35 AM
The stock setup is actually pretty good. You just have to get used to it, just like any other car.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:33 PM
The stock pedal is like a damn 18 wheeler! I've had mine adjusted quite a bit for over 20K miles and no problems yet. I did have it too low which made it harder to engage 1st gear but bringing it out a little more made it perfect. After driving a friends stock G, I couldn't wait to get back into my car.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am very happy with the setup. The clutch disengages fully, absolutely no catching or rpm dips when shifted into first, no sound or vibration changes. I may take it out another half turn, but the clutch completely disengages before I hit the floor. I called Infiniti and they said that minor adjustments are ok. The clutch lining up with the brake pedal is a good indicator.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:27 PM
How could shorter clutch pedal "throw" cause more wear and tear? This does not make any sense to me. I am able to operate the adjusted clutch faster because I have effectively enlarged the friction zone area because the overall throw is less.

So faster operation = less slippage = less wear

Last edited by copbait; 03-15-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:50 PM
This modification doesn't mess with the clutch displacement. What this modification does is change the angle of the lever arm so that clutch engages/disegages at a lower point in the depress of the pedal. The clutch will still have the same displacement before and after the adjustment so the wear and tear will be the same, if not less due to the time it takes to engage the clutch.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Maybe I wasn't very clear. Let's say the friction zone on the stock setup covers 10% of the overall throw. After the adjustment the friction zone now covers more of the range of motion say 20% because we have eliminated some slack. So effectively it does cover a larger % relative to the length of the throw before and after, but relative to itself it's the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WOW What a difference...clutch adjustment. Its like a new car!