Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

vdc, can it be truely turned off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
vdc, can it be truely turned off

Good morning everyone,
Here it is. I have been looking for anything about the VDC on my 05 6MT coupe, but havent found much. I used to roll old school muscle, but now prefer to power through the turns as well. Which leads me to my Question. Is there any way to completly turn off the VDC? When the button is off, it still intrudes when i drive with some passion. Any thoughts? thanks for the info to anyone who replies.
note: i am refering the vdc system(though turned off) jumping in at a standstill launch from 0 mph, ie; a clutch release with 3k or more on the tach.

Last edited by g-adabout; 05-09-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
really, Ive never noticed it to do anything when i turn it off....sideways and all.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^same here, while taking wild turns, the back comes out pretty easily

Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info, but mostly what i was talking about was a launch. anything over 3k on the tach and the dumb(smarter than me computer) holds the clutch in!Im not talking outside the cab, but physically the clutch pedal! it acts like the vdc (when on) at a standstill launch.i discovered this by accident. when crossing a highway sections near home, i needed some extra umph to get across in time, but what i was left with was a smelly clutch and a slow (almost devastating) take off. anyone else experience this? i know that it doesnt interfere with sideway acts of sillyness when switch off, but i would like to on occasion, smoke the 19's silly... maybe if i have to replace the ecu, i may, but i was wondering something more simple.
let me know...

Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
vdc only affects engine power and braking... has nothing to do with clutch. there might be something else wrong with your car if your clutch isn't engaging/disengaging all the way.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's not the VDC, that's just the flywheel spinning against the clutch plate. The computer does not control that. Physics does. It takes practice to launch a G properly.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Sooooo... ...the traction control is integrated into the entire VDC system? Typically, there are seperate systems for traction control (usually for straight-line acceleration under a given speed) and vehicle dynamic stability systems (sideways fun or intervention). Is this not the case with the G?

On a side-note, if you slip a clutch silly, you can get the two surfaces so hot that they can stick together. Another stab of the pedal will bring them apart. If you're slipping your clutch a lot, that could be a possibility... ...especially with you the mentioning the sticking clutch pedal.

Do you use the clutch pedal to 'balance' you at a stoplight, stop sign, on a hill, etc. while waiting for your chance to go, or is the clutch pedal touching the floor until you are able to go?

Last edited by GT-Ron; 05-09-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
thanks for all the info, but it was only has happened twice. since then i have managed to figure out a better way to launch. this happened pretty early when owning the car.
outside that, i have also found plenty of info deeper into the forums. i was under the impression that the VDC not only kept the car in check in corners where centripical forces were at work, but prevent slipping of the wheels in any situation, including take offs on any surface condition( wet, snow, dry, etc). that is why i thought that the vdc was still manually interfacing with my attempts to spin the wheels for a better launch. This is my first non american car, and 1st car that wasnt a pre-90s american muscle car. so this is a tricky thing.
this is what i was thinking. an old friend of mine had a 1990 300z and it would do the same thing on a hard launch. he swapped the ecu and then was able to create a visually stunning launch(smoking the tires), without the traction control getting involved. i was thinking along the same line, eliminating the whole system when i want to.
those of you wondering why i would want to is because i have been through various driving courses and can handle a rear driver with ease, and find that the system is more of a hindrence that a benefit( with the exception of winter of course).

Old 05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
You can totally disable VDC without disabling ABS by pulling the Bosch Yaw Sensor under the center console. If you totally disable VDC, be careful. This car is an entirely different animal with all traction control fully disabled.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:44 PM
how do you remove the bosch yaw sensor?

Old 05-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question for sure however my experience with VDC off and aggressive launching/ shifting it has not appeared to intervene. I know it does not have anything to do with the clutch so it sounds like you need some more launch experience with your G to get it down pat.
I have read in several car mags though that it does intervene when off in some driving situations perhaps more of what could be called a vehicle dynamic situation (like a sideways slide as mentioned earlier) although I have not witnessed this myself. I actually had a friend of mine give me instructions from a track instructor who used this with 350Z's on how to disable the VDC completely with a procedure using the key and pushing the switch in a series of sequences etc. However I tried this several times with my car and it did not seem to respond the way he said it would with the VDC light so I'm not sure if it actually did work or not.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whenever I need to do a burnout at the track or have some fun in a snow covered parking lot, I have to pull the ABS fuse.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
On my 03 auto, turning off the VDC doesn't really mean the traction control is entirely defeated though I am able to spin the tires quite a bit before the slip light comes on. Though even when the slip light does come on, it doesn't seem to kill the power near as much with the VDC on. On my car with VDC off, it seems like the slip light will appear if the rear tires really spin excessively right off line (wet road, water on the tires at the track, etc). In cold weather, I've been able to launch with the rears spinning mostly through first, the back end swaying side to side, and the slip light doesn't come on. I attribute this to the fact that the car actually got off the line decently and is accelerating quite well even though the rear tires are spinning. Personally, I like it that the TC isn't completely disengaged and that it comes on during excessive spin because it can save your differential.

If on a launch with the VDC off and you're TC is still coming on, I think you need to adjust your launch rpm and feather the clutch a little more. Just a little bit of wheelspin is all you want off the line, but you need to be coming off the line above 3000rpms. This requires a 3500-4000rpm launch with a little clutch slippage and throttle modulation. Do not drop the clutch, but don't feather the hell out of the clutch either. All dropping the clutch does is shock the drivetrain and light the tires up. On my auto, I barely chirp a tire on launch and that results in high 2.1 to low 2.2 60 foots which is considered decent for a RWD car that doesn't have a huge amount of torque.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I think he wants to light them up.

FWIW, I watched a 350Z launch from a stoplight like it was AWD. Not sure if it was 5AT or 6MT, but it was obvious that the traction control was at work. There didn't seem to be any way he could have pulled so hard and instantly from the line. And I'm really familiar with the intersection and launched from it in a turbo AWD all the time. That Z really jumped off the line with no perceptable wheelspin! Is the Z using the same traction-control system?

Old 05-10-2005, 08:58 PM
The bosch yaw sensor is just a basic plug. The sensor is labeled with a black bosch sticker on it and has two tabs to push in on either side. Push those in and pull out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: vdc, can it be truely turned off