Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Heavy Weight Shift Knob!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2005 | 12:46 PM
|
Premier Dough Slapper
Heavy Weight Shift ****!

Hey guys, just thought I would let you in on a little mod I did last night (right before the G-Squad Hooters meet) and it's proven to work amazingly! Not too long ago I swapped out my stock shifter with a Rogue Engineering short shift and before I go any further let me just say how awesome this short shifter is! There's significanty LESS rattle and noise than with the stock unit. Hard to believe but it's the truth! The shifts are shorter, firm and very positive. OK, now back to the mod in point..

I was using my stock shift ****, which for the most part was getting the job done, but I was looking for something a little more "custom". I picked up an aluminum shaft style (NISMO replica) **** from a local shop, but wasn't too happy with the way it felt. After shopping around some more, I came across a set that RAZO makes (ball style) that are weighted. They had two different versions, a 120 gram version and 230 gram version, both of which were made out of a high polish black chrome like stainless steel. Holding both "***** in hand" I opted for the heavier of the two (the 230 gr version, which was reasonably priced at $40) and was off to the parking lot to install it (took less than 5min).

After getting it in, you can immediately feel the difference! Shifts were smoother and much more positive. The added weight was helping "throw" the gear into place. Now don't get me wrong, its not like a bowling ball, but the little extra added weight really helps a lot! I never paid much attention to such a small, insignificant, "cosmetic" mod, but after getting the RAZO 230 **** on, I've since changed my view on shift *****. Size wize, its fits very comfortably inside the palm of your hand. It's not too big, and its not too small...

IMO, stay away from those fancy tiatanium or carbon fiber *****, and get yourself something with a littlle weight to it! I've heard the real NISMO's are heavy as well, and if anyone has one and can give the weight or some specs on it, that would be great.

I'll get some pics of the shift **** later on this afternoon and post them up.

Old 07-24-2005 | 12:55 PM
where did you buy it?

Old 07-24-2005 | 03:37 PM
|
Premier Dough Slapper
Here's the pic....

Here's also a link to RAZO site with the two versions (known as the WR Spec)...
http://www.carmate.co.jp/razo/****/12.html

I purchased mine from Fizz Autosports in Bayside, NY. I'm sure you can also pick it up from one the many online retailers who carry RAZO parts. The part number for the 230 gram version is RA113.

Old 07-24-2005 | 05:20 PM
I have a Voodoo ****...similar design....http://www.teamvoodoo.com/Voodoo/*****.html...with the shift pattern engraved

Old 07-24-2005 | 05:27 PM
|
Premier Dough Slapper
Nice stuff! Thanks for the post! How do they feel weight wise?

Old 07-24-2005 | 06:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
Yeah, you seemed like a happy camper last night

Thanks for the imput.

Throwin your weight around agaain J

Old 07-24-2005 | 06:38 PM
Is this it? I found it on cardomain. http://www.cardomain.com/item/RAZRA113

Old 07-24-2005 | 09:23 PM
Any pictures for the Voodoo ****?

Old 07-24-2005 | 09:40 PM
will post soon

Old 07-24-2005 | 09:46 PM
|
Premier Dough Slapper
Here's the Voodoo (in an S2000). It's their pearl satin ****...

Looks nice and clean, but from what I can understand and make out from their site, the Voodoo's are just your "regular" ball style shift *****, not heavy-weighted like the RAZO's... Ball styles ***** usually weigh in at between 40 and 60 grams (AC's polished ball style "looks just like the Voodoo" weighs 45 grams, thanks to Mike for that info)...

Oh and the RAZO's ball size is 45mm (44.87 to be exact) which is the same as those found on Ferrari's...

Old 07-26-2005 | 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by ducatiguy
Here's the pic....

Here's also a link to RAZO site with the two versions (known as the WR Spec)...
http://www.carmate.co.jp/razo/****/12.html

I purchased mine from Fizz Autosports in Bayside, NY. I'm sure you can also pick it up from one the many online retailers who carry RAZO parts. The part number for the 230 gram version is RA113.
That thing looks like a crystal ball, does it predict the future too? Kidding.
Interesting mod, seems like the heavier weight does make sense.

Old 07-27-2005 | 01:30 AM
It is said that adding a shift **** that weights more than stock can cause internal transmission damage

Last edited by g35audioman; 07-28-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2005 | 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by g35audioman
It is said that adding a shift **** that weights more than stock can internal transmission damage
I'm not discounting that information, but that is pretty hard to prove... just like the UR pulleys.

Old 07-27-2005 | 03:40 PM
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by g35audioman
It is said that adding a shift **** that weights more than stock can internal transmission damage
I trust this did not come straight out of your mouth. However, I should point out such a statement is simply untrue and the cause for impetuous tattles.

Old 07-27-2005 | 03:52 PM
|
Premier Dough Slapper
LMAO! Internal transmission damage?

The **** weighs 230 grams! NOT POUNDS! It's not a bowling ball! If you damage anything due to hard shifting, blame your hand and your arm, not the ****!

COME ON PEOPLE!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heavy Weight Shift Knob!