Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

hmm i dont know whats wrong with my car..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cchaorule
but this happens when im in gear with the clutch not engaged and i floor it.. it still doesnt catch right away
kk that post doesn't make sense... sorry..
I agree with everyone else, clutch.

If you are saying that you floor your accelerator without having the clutch fully engaged... well then that is a major problem... don't do that.. ever!
You should always engage the clutch as soon as possible. From the lowest RPM's possible. Unless you are launching your car quickly.. then you raise the rpm's higher before starting to engage the clutch.. but you always fully engage the clutch asap once you start... does that make sense??? Just get your foot off the clutch.... nuff said!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by binar
kk that post doesn't make sense... sorry..
I agree with everyone else, clutch.

If you are saying that you floor your accelerator without having the clutch fully engaged... well then that is a major problem... don't do that.. ever!
You should always engage the clutch as soon as possible. From the lowest RPM's possible. Unless you are launching your car quickly.. then you raise the rpm's higher before starting to engage the clutch.. but you always fully engage the clutch asap once you start... does that make sense??? Just get your foot off the clutch.... nuff said!
so is it ok that give it a little gas first then engage?? let's say around 1.5K RPM then engage the clutch. am I burning the clutch that way??
cuz when I do that RPM raise first then drop when I start accelerate. is that called slipping clutch? thanks..

Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
i meant like when i have the car in gear just cruising with the clutch completely out... and i accelerate... the rpms would still jump up and come down because it doesnt catch right away.. anyways i am going to replace my clutch... i plan on going forced induction in the summer.. so what kinda clutch do you guys think i should get??? thankss

Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Kev G35
so is it ok that give it a little gas first then engage?? let's say around 1.5K RPM then engage the clutch. am I burning the clutch that way??
cuz when I do that RPM raise first then drop when I start accelerate.
This part is good.. it's what you want to do.. give a little gas... engage the clutch gradually... when you start to feel the car move... give a little more gas and fully engage the clutch

Originally Posted by Kev G35
is that called slipping clutch? thanks..
Slipping the clutch is when you get to that 'starting to engage' point that I just talked about and you hold your foot there while you press on the accelerator...

you usually only slip your clutch if you want a fast launch and don't want to spin your tires... or bog your car from the tires having too much grip.(all wheel drive cars have this issue)..
you can also slip your clutch to go slower than the gear allows.. when you need lots of torque and not much speed.. like getting up my driveway and into my garage..

You have to think about what is going on.. your engine is producing a LOT of energy when you give it a lot of gas.. that energy has to go somewhere. If it doesn't go through your transmission to your rear axle..then your clutch is absorbing all of that energy... make sense...???
Go here for a good explaination on automotive clutches..

Last edited by binar; 04-23-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by binar
This part is good.. it's what you want to do.. give a little gas... engage the clutch gradually... when you start to feel the car move... give a little more gas and fully engage the clutch
I am glad that I am doing the right thing so far. Thank you!

Slipping the clutch is when you get to that 'starting to engage' point that I just talked about and you hold your foot there while you press on the accelerator...

you usually only slip your clutch if you want a fast launch and don't want to spin your tires... or bog your car from the tires having too much grip.(all wheel drive cars have this issue)..
you can also slip your clutch to go slower than the gear allows.. when you need lots of torque and not much speed.. like getting up my driveway and into my garage..

You have to think about what is going on.. your engine is producing a LOT of energy when you give it a lot of gas.. that energy has to go somewhere. If it doesn't go through your transmission to your rear axle..then your clutch is absorbing all of that energy... make sense...???
Go here for a good explaination on automotive clutches..
Thanks for the link, but I've read all that before already, but for me I'd like to find some "live answer" when the actual question comes to me. the explanation above sounds like "burning the clutch". are they the same? Thanks!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Slipping the clutch too much will lead to the burning of the clutch..
you will smell it... schtanky..

Old 04-23-2007, 10:02 PM
feathering the clutch - just get it replaced!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by cchaorule
i meant like when i have the car in gear just cruising with the clutch completely out... and i accelerate... the rpms would still jump up and come down because it doesnt catch right away.. anyways i am going to replace my clutch... i plan on going forced induction in the summer.. so what kinda clutch do you guys think i should get??? thankss
That's how a bad/slipping clutch acts, from personal experience with my old car (although it took me 138K miles to burn that clutch). Even if you're not engaging the clutch, you will see your rpm's jump before it finally comes down, and you pick up speed. Congrats!! You've now experienced a slipping clutch! But since you're planning to change out your clutch, you'll notice that it won't do that again with the new clutch--unless you burn that one out too...