Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mobil 1 Oil Users # 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes Mobil 1 Oil Users # 2

Hello everyone! I have noticed on the forums here that there has been quite a bit of fuss, misunderstanding and all out mis-information being bandied about regarding Mobil 1 and whether it is a true Group IV, PAO based synthetic oil, or not. Some people have been saying, "I read on the Internet that....". First of all folks, please, don't believe everything you read on the Internet as the gospel truth, especially if it is just posted in some forum somewhere by some nameless, faceless source and is not verified or backed up by any documented facts. The, "information", could be from a competing oil company for all we know.

I have been an AMSOIL synthetic lubricants dealer for almost 20 years now and when I started reading these nasty Internet rumors bashing Mobil 1, I found it hard to believe that Mobil would want to reduce the performance of its very fine product, so I called them, spoke to a manager and I was assured that Mobil 1 is a top performing, true PAO based, Group IV synthetic oil! This is why Mobil 1 can still blow the socks off of most of the other oils on the market. This Internet rumor bashing Mobil 1 is nothing more than a rumor, which I would guess was started by any of a myriad of Big Oil industry Mobil competitors. The Big Oil industry is a nasty business!

Now I know what some of the cynics are going to say right away, "Oh, why trust what they say!" First off, why not? They have a good company reputation to uphold. If Mobil were caught lying about this, that is fraud and they could be heavily fined, as well as sued and with all the negative fallout from that, it would substantially damage Mobil. I don't think anyone at Mobil in their right mind would want to risk that happening.

But, don't take my word for it, call Mobil yourself at - 1-800-662-4525.

This nasty rumor about Mobil 1 should come to a stop, because I see a lot of people on here that are draining out their very high quality Mobil 1 synthetic oil and replacing it with another sub-performing oil. It makes me cringe to see this.

If I may be of help to anyone regarding synthetic oils, I am at your service.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-19-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Test

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-14-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
hmm, good find. I thought the same thing as you while reading all the mobil bashing post. If mobil was that bad why would race cars use it? Why would mobil be one of the biggest sponcers for race vehicles if it was so bad.

I thought it was kind of weird...

-Sean

Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
hmm, good find. I thought the same thing as you while reading all the mobil bashing post. If mobil was that bad why would race cars use it? Why would mobil be one of the biggest sponcers for race vehicles if it was so bad.

I thought it was kind of weird...

-Sean

Hi Sean. I wont mention any names, but there has been one screen name that has been particularly..."busy", posting this anti-Mobil 1 disinformation, not only in this forum, but in many other forums as well. I've also noticed while they bash Mobil 1, they tout Castrol products. Castrol was sued by Mobil for Castrol calling a highly refined petroleum oil, "synthetic", which also might be considered very deceptive. Very interesting.

It's sad that so many people actually believed the disinformation. Others went on to repeat the disinformation and in doing so, I think they may have put themselves into a very delicate situation, as spreading incorrect, damaging propoganda about a company, or its products, could possibly be considered libel. I would imagine Exxon/Mobil watches these forums and what is being said. At least on this forum, people have the ability to edit what they have said in the past.

Conversely, I've done my best here to set the record straight, so the forum members here would not have the wool pulled over their eyes and drain out their fine quality Mobil 1 synthetic oil and replace it with a sub-performing oil.

No, I don't work for Mobil. I am a full time AMSOIL synthetic lubricants dealer for almost 20 years now.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-14-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Old 05-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real funny part is that the modern Group 3 stuff matches the Group 4 PAO in virtually every area except cold pour point. Unless you drive in the Arctic, doubtful a M1 with group 3 would be any worse anyway. It's all silly since most guys continue to drain synth at 3-5K. If you're not going to go at least 7.5K on a top quality synthetic, stop wasting your money and go back to dino. You won't keep the car long enough to give a crap about a few ppm difference in metal content. Unless you're an oil geek who is in competition to post the lowest wear of anyone in the world. I say get a life.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by ballisticus
The real funny part is that the modern Group 3 stuff matches the Group 4 PAO in virtually every area except cold pour point. Unless you drive in the Arctic, doubtful a M1 with group 3 would be any worse anyway. It's all silly since most guys continue to drain synth at 3-5K. If you're not going to go at least 7.5K on a top quality synthetic, stop wasting your money and go back to dino. You won't keep the car long enough to give a crap about a few ppm difference in metal content. Unless you're an oil geek who is in competition to post the lowest wear of anyone in the world. I say get a life.
Hello. The advantages of a top shelf PAO based synthetic oil vs a highly refined petroleum oil, (labelled as, "synthetic"), are many. They can include -

1. No naturally occurring contaminants in the oil, as can occur with petroleum oils.

2. Far superior film strength for the PAO based synthetic oil vs the petroleum based oil, (about 500 psi for petroleum based oils vs over 3,000 psi for top shelf PAO based synthetic oils), which can result in less engine wear, more efficient long term operation and superior engine protection.

3. Superior piston ring sealing for the reason noted above, which leads to more power, better fuel economy, lower emissions and less blow-by contamination of the oil.

4. Safe extended drain intervals for all the reasons noted above, as long as the synthetic oil is formulated for the rigors of extended drain intervals, (most are not).

5. Lower maintenance and repair costs, for all the reasons noted above.

No amount of refining in the world to a petroleum based motor oil, labeled as, "synthetic", can ever match the proven and documented advantages of a true PAO synthetic based motor oil.

For verification of the above information, please read this fascinating and well written article regarding all the proven advantages of a real PAO synthetic based motor oil. Enjoy ---

"Synthetic Oil: Rx for Long Engine Life" --
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Your reasons are only valid if the user is stressing the oil to that degree. If you change your oils at 3-5k, most dino oils will perform just fine. That was his point. If one is turbo'd or supercharged then regardless of change interval, one should use a true synthetic.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Your reasons are only valid if the user is stressing the oil to that degree. If you change your oils at 3-5k, most dino oils will perform just fine. That was his point. If one is turbo'd or supercharged then regardless of change interval, one should use a true synthetic.
Ever blow a radiator hose? Ever have a radiator fail? Ever inadvertently run the engine low on oil? Ever have a thermostat fail and cause the engine to overheat?, etc., etc. These are all circumstances that happen every day to millions of motorists every year and it is where a top performing synthetic oil can save an engine worth thousands of dollars and a petroleum oil falls flat on its face.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 PM
^+1 Ding, ding. We have a winner. ^

For 95% of street applications, the difference in performance between a Group 3 and pure PAO is virtually nil. If you are pushing the limits of temperature (boost) or drain intervals, then go PAO, but if not, save your money. Telling people that Group 3 oils are inferior is pure BS. They are excellent lubricants and prove it everyday. In fact, the process to create them is not new at all. Germany developed the gas to liquid (GTL) process 70 years ago due to petroleum shortages in wartime. Their high performance fighter plane engines were running Group 3 before America had ever heard of Group 2.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod..._perform.shtml

Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by ballisticus
^+1 Ding, ding. We have a winner. ^

For 95% of street applications, the difference in performance between a Group 3 and pure PAO is virtually nil. If you are pushing the limits of temperature (boost) or drain intervals, then go PAO, but if not, save your money. Telling people that Group 3 oils are inferior is pure BS. They are excellent lubricants and prove it everyday. In fact, the process to create them is not new at all. Germany developed the gas to liquid (GTL) process 70 years ago due to petroleum shortages in wartime. Their high performance fighter plane engines were running Group 3 before America had ever heard of Group 2.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod..._perform.shtml

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/sythoil.htm

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
If one blows a radiator hose, the heat will warp a head before damaging it. If I run low on oil, a synthetic "might" help a tad longer due to the film strength but not much longer.

Can you explain how Mobil 1 is still a true synthetic when they removed that very statement from their oil containers?

I found this on an Amsoil site:
Mobil 1 would rather you spend more money at the EXXONMobil pump. Mobil 1 no longer has the 100% Synthetic label on the bottles as they have switched to lower priced Group III base stocks.
Per the FTC you can say "Full Synthetic" without an ounce of PAO manmade synthetic base stocks. But you can't label them as 100% unless they truly are
Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
Ever blow a radiator hose? Ever have a radiator fail? Ever inadvertently run the engine low on oil? Ever have a thermostat fail and cause the engine to overheat?, etc., etc. These are all circumstances that happen every day to millions of motorists every year and it is where a top performing synthetic oil can save an engine worth thousands of dollars and a petroleum oil falls flat on its face.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Steve - Thanks for the info. The one thing that really caught my eye on the Mobil 1 controversy were reports over on Bobistheoilguy.com of oil analyses on Mobil 1 that found traces of mineral oil (if i remember right), which indicated at least a partial non-synthetic component.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Premier Member

Some one call the number and get this battle over with...haha...

Old 05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If one blows a radiator hose, the heat will warp a head before damaging it. If I run low on oil, a synthetic "might" help a tad longer due to the film strength but not much longer.

Can you explain how Mobil 1 is still a true synthetic when they removed that very statement from their oil containers?

I found this on an Amsoil site:
500 psi film strength vs 3,000 psi film strength. Up to 45 deg. F. temperature reductions using a PAO based synthetic oil. Take your pick. How much does an engine cost these days?

Again, if you want to verify that Mobil 1 is a true PAO based synthetic motor oil, please, call them yourself and ask for a Manager. They will be happy to explain, I am sure.

1-800-662-4525

That quote you have is not an AMSOIL web site, it is an independent dealer and if they were to call Mobil, (instead of listening to Internet rumors, as I don't!), they would discover that their statement is not correct.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil Users # 2