Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What hp gain from Stillen G2 exhaust + Ztube + hiflow intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LudwigB
Thanks guys for all the inputs.
I pretty much made up my mind to go with these mods based on what I've researched here:
5/16 spacer, ztube, hf intake, and stillen gen2 exhaust.
My last w question:
1. with these mods, do I absolutely need a tune (besides the fact that a tune will optimized performance) for the engine to function properly albeit at a non-optimal level. I want to wait awhile before making a final tune. I'm just afraid the engine might run too lean and causes other kinds of problems.
2. will these mods still pass smog check in Cali?

Thanks in advance.
With exhaust mod you definitely want a tune. Not only to take advantage of any new power but to balance AF ratio. Unless they screw up you should pass smog. I'm planning similar mods. Have them all except the exhaust.
For Cali you should have it set up for 91 octane, unless you know you can get higher octane on a regular basis and are willing to pay for it.
Remember the tune includes opening the throttle all the way at WOT and raising the rev limit to 7100. At least for TS and I believe some other flashes.

Basing a lot of this on another local owner with similar mods. (Crawford plenum, JW intake, Stillen duals) He did run for a while with no tune and said he dynoed 237 hp. (05 5AT) Says now it's 244 hp. I did not see the charts for myself. He sent his ECU into AAM. Not sure why he did not go with TS since the shipping would be faster.

Last edited by fortified; 10-25-2007 at 12:04 PM.