Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Does the G really need Premium Fuel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2008 | 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by rb25s14
Just completed a week with 87 octane. Did 340 miles of mixed city/hyw (25/75) with 16.1 gallons of gas. That equates to about 21mpg which is inline with what I get with 93 octane.

wow u get 340 miles a full tank??? im barely lucky to get 350 km here in canada

Old 11-08-2008 | 01:04 PM
Wow, this question keeps popping up...I noticed the OP date. Hummm. My 1st bit of advice, please PM G35at. He was having problems @ around 80k and had been using 87 pretty much the whole time. Now he's getting this "ticking" sound (valves) and loss of power (Fuel filter maybe, hoses, IDK could be number of things). I gave him some advice, don't know if it fixed it or not. But he said he was changing to premium. I have had 89 in my 05 2ce, when the dealer filled it up - NOT waiting any longer, 3 hours to get home, ect I just went with it. And drove the daylights out of it, not hard, until I needed another fill-up. Yeah, darn, had to drive it alot...whoa pitty HAHAHA. And once when the gas station didn't have any 93 (that's all I use, I use Valero ONLY and no 91 there). Anyway, I gues it depends too on how long you plan to keep your car. Long time, wanna take that risk? Would you put half-dead batteries in your fire detector at your home??? I agree with the statements of, do you really have to use premium....do you really have to have a G? Take care of her and she will take care of you, it'll be a great marriage.

Good luck...
Amanda

Old 11-08-2008 | 11:00 PM
From CR.
Premium gas can be a waste of money
Many people use premium gasoline thinking that it’s better for engines than regular. That can be a costly misconception.

Regular gas typically has an octane rating of 87, while premium is rated at 91 to 93. But octane grades don't represent "good, better, best"; they simply measure a fuel's resistance to pre-ignition (pinging or knocking), a condition in which gasoline burns uncontrollably in the engine’s combustion chambers, possibly leading to engine damage. The higher the octane rating, the more resistance it provides.

Most engines are designed to run fine on regular gas. Using premium in them doesn’t improve performance; it only costs more money.

Even many cars for which premium is recommended can use regular gas without a problem. That’s because most modern engines can detect the presence of pre-ignition (which usually occurs under high-load conditions) and automatically make adjustments to eliminate it. The tradeoff when that happens is a slight decrease in power and gas mileage, but most people probably won’t notice it.

Generally, if your owner’s manual says "premium recommended," you can safely use regular gas.

Some engines do require premium gas. They’re typically more powerful ones used in sports and luxury cars. Those engines use a higher compression ratio, which can make them run hotter and make them more vulnerable to pinging. The high octane fuel helps them resist the condition. So if the manual says "premium required," follow it.

Old 11-08-2008 | 11:58 PM
^ keep in mind the dealership does not get a :incentive: if you do not use 91 octane. If they think it is necessary, ie. the manual, it may be worth checking into.

Old 11-09-2008 | 03:37 PM
Its on the gas cap, 05 AT, it clearly says ONLY....