Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are only a couple models that allow separate replacement of the spark plug seals. I think my dealer told me I30s and perhaps Q45s fall into that category - not sure of the exact models now as it was a long time ago when I asked. But there's only one or two models and IIRC they were older models. This question now gets added to the list of things I will ask about any car before I buy it - I have heard some other manufacturers are starting to do this too so it's not just timing belts you have to look out for anymore.

$$$

Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's interesting that later ones were made differently. The 2001 V35 250GT runs the VQ25DD engine, I assume the G35 runs the VQ30DE or VQ35DE?

Good to know there are differences though as I am trying to locate replacement O2 sensors for mine at the moment.. trying to figure out if the G35 O2 sensors are the same as the V35's. You would think they would be but nobody seems to know.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 PM
wow, so guys, my brother recently bought an 04 G35 sedan with 68K miles. Like mentioned in the original post, powetrain warranty ends at 70k? So if he takes it to a dealer to get this looked at, would he be charged?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by pakistani
wow, so guys, my brother recently bought an 04 G35 sedan with 68K miles. Like mentioned in the original post, powetrain warranty ends at 70k? So if he takes it to a dealer to get this looked at, would he be charged?
Yes, he will be charged if the dealer looks at it and does not find oil. It would be easy enough for you and he to spend an hour to pull the plugs and verify that there is oil leaking into the plug tubes. If there is oil in there do not clean it out and take it into the dealer immediately. They should take care of you unless they are complete a$$holes like most of the Infiniti dealers I have dealt with.

Also, I have a new/used valve cover I got off ebay for $25 that I need to install when I get the chance. Has anyone done a DIY on this yet? If not, I will try to get one started. If anyone in the mountains of NC has free time and wants to give me a hand feel free to PM me asap!

Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by ITSAGTHING
Yes, he will be charged if the dealer looks at it and does not find oil. It would be easy enough for you and he to spend an hour to pull the plugs and verify that there is oil leaking into the plug tubes. If there is oil in there do not clean it out and take it into the dealer immediately. They should take care of you unless they are complete a$$holes like most of the Infiniti dealers I have dealt with.

Also, I have a new/used valve cover I got off ebay for $25 that I need to install when I get the chance. Has anyone done a DIY on this yet? If not, I will try to get one started. If anyone in the mountains of NC has free time and wants to give me a hand feel free to PM me asap!

Good Luck!
Its my brothers car so i dont wanna mess around with it, pullin it apart and pulin the plugs out. Lets just hope its fine lol
BTW whats standard waranty on these? If my bro wants to buy extended warranty, whats the cutoff time?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 PM
^ "Lets just hope its fine" isn't a great way to handle this. if you're in warranty get it checked out, unless money is not object. i saved myself ~$1500CDN by having this work done under warranty. all it cost me was 1/2hr to check out one of my spark plug tubes. a very simple procedure.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Am a NFG w/90k mi. on my recently purchased 03 sedan-thx to you great members for heads-up on the valve cover/wet plugs issue.My ridiculously clean Bl on BL a/t w/prem.pkg. left the shop today @ $498.16 not inc. parts to R&R valve covers/gaskets,install new Denso iridium plugs,install new Denso coil-to-plug boots.Not one drop of misplaced oil was found=i'm a lucky one.Parts needed were listed above plus gasket INF 14032-AM600[[$36.38] and gasket INF 14033-AM600[$41.13]..The throttle body gasket wasn't req'd and is re-usable[it's metal] if had been.There was 4.8 hrs labor @ $90/hr.Tech stated need only run re-learn on throttle body if wiring undone w/key on,I do believe.I believe it highly unacceptable to leave plugs in a beautiful machine such as this for more than 60k mi. much less 105k and do not regret one bit an expensive preventative maintenance bill where I killed several birds w/one visit due in large part to the afficionado/addict's on this wonderful site-special thx to ByThaBay..Next up tomorrow is KYB's front and rear @$659.58 OTD and a new cabin filter I'll install myself.A man has got to know his limitations and I make up for pro work done every way I can,including a DIY install on Infinity 6022si shallow mount/fr drs and 6022i rear doors-that should be fun and rewarding @ $127.23..Wash/clay/polish/Klasse also on docket-thx to you guys am in da know and am some hours away in my garage from rockin' my dream car- since- it -first- came- out!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 PM
A follow-up re:the VC cover R&R job..Dealership was @ 5hrs labor @ $129/hr and wanted $650 for just valve covers and vc gaskets- that is $1,295 before tax.You add an estimated msrp on the coil-to-plug boots of $180 and $120 for the plugs plus tax on the whole shebang and you are @ north of $1,800. I spent the $498.16 labor,$98 boots,$434.90 vc's/gskts,$85.11 two add'l gaskets,$47 for plugs OR labor $498.16 plus $665.01 parts equals a total of $1,163.17.By finding a great business that accepted my customer-supplied parts[a one-time deal as agreed to] I essentially am paying for shocks and stuts w/needed accessories installed a grand total of nothing-safely and professionally installed by a popular left-coast chain.This is called enabling!If you can finagle your parts/their labor this whole leaky valve cover R&R-whilst not cheap-is certainly a stress-reducer.I would love to have some of you guys' skeels to BLOW THE SAVINGS ON MORE STUFF FOR MY MOTORVATIN' G!!!Have fun and be safe...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Old 09-16-2009, 08:39 AM
It is robbery what they charge just to change coil packs. They tried to get me on my Maxima, I purchased the coils myself through auto parts dealer and changed myself saving over $600.
This is good info, will have to check this out.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 AM
I just did my plugs tonight and saw a little bit of oil pooling on plug 6.
The rest of the plugs were dry. I assume this is the infamous valve cover issue.
What do you think it will cost me to get them replaced since my car is 2k mi out of warranty?
I am so pissed I did not do this earlier.
On a lighter note, the car is really quick right now.
I put in NGK platinum laser plugs.
NICE.
Anyone who can offer input as to what I can expect to get this taken care of.
thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by vinflouen
I just did my plugs tonight and saw a little bit of oil pooling on plug 6.
The rest of the plugs were dry. I assume this is the infamous valve cover issue.
What do you think it will cost me to get them replaced since my car is 2k mi out of warranty?
I am so pissed I did not do this earlier.
On a lighter note, the car is really quick right now.
I put in NGK platinum laser plugs.
NICE.
Anyone who can offer input as to what I can expect to get this taken care of.
thanks
Are 1 and 6 closed to the front of the car?
Do you have take off the air filter and the air duct for it to be able get to the plugs? Are you using torque wrench and the sealent when you put the new plugs? Where did you buy the NGK platinum plugs from?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the DIY G35Mass and bythabay, very helpful. So i was changing my spark plugs today and found oil on the threads of the spark plug, closest to the driver side. There wasnt any oil on the coil but i did see oil on the rim of the valve cover. I was then debating wether i should leave the stock plugs in and drive it to the dealership or just go ahead and change it up to the NGKs since I had already installed 2 of them. i decided to change all of them out and set up an appointment tomorrow.

anyone take their G to elk grove infiniti?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 PM
So I just had mine replaced, the valve cover gasket, as there was oil on plug 6, (closest to the driver), cost me 500...
I put new NGK platinum lazer plugs and gaped them at .45....
running smooth...

Old 10-11-2009, 12:04 AM
wow $500? there definitely should be a recall regarding this. Im glad i caught this before my powertrain warranty is up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!