Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009 | 01:06 PM
I didn't read the entire thread so sorry if this is repeat information.
Valve covers have integrated spark plug tube seals. This is why the entire valve cover must be replaced if there is leaking oil into the spark plug tube.
Valve cover uses a separate long lasting gasket to seal around the edges - the reason why repair invoices are also showing new valve cover gaskets.
Cylinders are numbered right bank (passenger side) to left, front to back so if you are looking at your engine standing in front of the front bumper:
front passenger, right side of car:1 3 5
front driver, left side of car: 2 4 6

I replaced the right bank valve cover on a 2003 Maxima. The engine is very similar, though I can't be sure the valve covers are interchangeable. I found that the 2003 valve cover for the Maxima & Altima 3.5 VQ was over $100 each, but the 2004 valve cover was <$45. Sometimes car makers will leave these holes in their parts pricing. I wonder if there is a similar deal - or if the valve covers for the Maxima / Altima could be used on the G35.

Old 12-30-2009 | 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by davmac
Valve covers have integrated spark plug tube seals. This is why the entire valve cover must be replaced if there is leaking oil into the spark plug tube.
Valve cover uses a separate long lasting gasket to seal around the edges - the reason why repair invoices are also showing new valve cover gaskets.
Cylinders are numbered right bank (passenger side) to left, front to back so if you are looking at your engine standing in front of the front bumper:

I replaced the right bank valve cover on a 2003 Maxima. The engine is very similar, though I can't be sure the valve covers are interchangeable. I found that the 2003 valve cover for the Maxima & Altima 3.5 VQ was over $100 each, but the 2004 valve cover was <$45. Sometimes car makers will leave these holes in their parts pricing. I wonder if there is a similar deal - or if the valve covers for the Maxima / Altima could be used on the G35.
Found this on the service manual.

Old 01-04-2010 | 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by orl-g
Got an 08 g35 sedan, suks on gas compared to 6mt, but fun to drive.
Definately pull ur coils packs as soon as you can and look for oil on them.
My service advisor was a bit of a ***** and yea orlando infiniti is tuff about warranty work.
I was a bit confused on the warranty, maybe some 1 can clear this up.
Basic warranty is 4 yr 60k and powertrain is 5 yr 70k???
I am looking at purchasing an 08 G35x. Does this issue affect 2007 and newer models of the G?

Old 01-05-2010 | 08:52 AM
Standard Infiniti warranty is:
Basic: 4 yr. / 60,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 6 yr. / 70,000 mi.
Roadside: 4 yr. / 60,000 mi.
Rust: 7 yr. / Unlimited mi.

I own an 03 so others with higher mileage on an 07 can comment on valve cover leaks. I would expect the design to be the same.

Old 01-09-2010 | 06:58 PM
Lucky #6 and .085 gap

04 6mt g35 sedan with 88500 miles, I just bought it. I think the intake filter was the stock one judging by the filth on it, so I went ahead and did the plugs too. Sure enough, #6 had oil. The rest were fine, but were pretty done. I measured the #5 plug... .085 gap! Anywho... the oil on #6... what are the risks of just ignoring it, other than oc? Will oil damage the direct ignition boot, and how long will that last before I have to replace it? Just wondering whether it is worth doing the valve cover work on a non-warranty car. I've been toying with the idea of doing z-tube and plenum... is it worth it considering the leak? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2010 | 10:52 PM
Standard Infiniti warranty is:
Basic: 4 yr. / 60,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 6 yr. / 70,000 mi.
Roadside: 4 yr. / 60,000 mi.
Rust: 7 yr. / Unlimited mi.

I own an 03 so others with higher mileage on an 07 can comment on valve cover leaks. I would expect the design to be the same.
Also... Radiator Fan 7yr / 100k miles

Are the door rust also 7 yr now?

Old 01-10-2010 | 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by canucklehead
does anyone know if the spark plugs are replaced under warranty along with the covers etc?

I doubt it considered the oil is external and all you'd need to do is wipe them down and you are good to go.

Might be a good idea to toss them a set of plugs and have them change them for you while they are there...unless they want to charge you $150 to do so.

I still need to check mine...

Old 01-10-2010 | 12:49 PM
^ i brought a fresh set in to the stealer when they did my VC's, but after they removed and cleaned the original plugs the stealer said they saw no reason to replace. there was no wear evident, according to them. of course i still would have liked to do the change, but by the time i got there the engine had been buttoned up.

anyhow, no plugs are included with the VC replacement - unless the oil leaks fouled/damaged the plugs.

Old 01-10-2010 | 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Mannifesto
... Anywho... the oil on #6... what are the risks of just ignoring it, other than oc? Will oil damage the direct ignition boot, and how long will that last before I have to replace it? Just wondering whether it is worth doing the valve cover work on a non-warranty car. I've been toying with the idea of doing z-tube and plenum... is it worth it considering the leak? Thanks!
While tempting I would not mod before addressing maintenance issues. Oil leak into the spark plug tube is not catastrophic, but does cause problems if left for a while. That oil will eventually damage the coil / plug connector and could foul the plug by disrupting the connector. I think there are 2 options less expensive then replacing both valve covers and gaskets.
- Only replace the valve cover on the side with the leak
- Even less expensive: Just replace the valve cover gasket on the leaky side and use permatex ultra grey RTV on the top of the spark plug tube on the cylinder head (metal). Let the RTV set for about 10 minutes before re-installing the valve cover and new gasket.

The first fix = only 1 valve cover and gasket. The second fix = only 1 valve cover gasket and tube of RTV. I expect either fix to last 50 - 100K miles. The second fix takes a little more finesse to not to make a mess of things.

Old 01-10-2010 | 07:48 PM
So, following this DIY: https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy...t-job-diy.html

referencing the picture under "Removed the drivers side, now you can see what's inside!", is that where I apply the RTV? Is there a better DIY for this?

Really appreciate the recommendation - option 2 sounds like an effective winner. You mention finesse... looks like it would be easy enough to lay a thin bead around that seem - is it harder/riskier than it looks?

Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2010 | 12:42 AM
The goal with the RTV solution is to seal the spark plug tube to valve cover seam. So you need to lay a thin bead on the top edge of the spark plug tube and let it start to cure for 10 - 15 minutes. Then the valve cover has got to be installed carefully so you don't simply wipe it off. It is kind of hit and miss, but can be effective. It is also a bit more fiddling around compared to just replacing the valve cover which will provide new integrated spark plug tube seals. I only wish the spark plug tube seals were separate gaskets as is the case in many other designs - then it would be much cheaper to just replace gaskets versus the whole valve cover.

Old 01-18-2010 | 02:05 PM
I decided to go with a new valve cover. $200 in vc and gasket ain't too bad. What do you all recommend about plenum and throttle body gaskets though? Do they really have to be replaced every time? Looks like the Kinetix plenum instructions just reuse the gaskets, but they do not remove the lower plenum. Looking back at that painted vc DIY, it looks like he just used RTV for everything. RTV sound good enough for plenum gaskets?

Old 01-18-2010 | 04:40 PM
Good move buying a new vc. Upper and lower plenum gaskets can be reused - they are metal. Don't use RTV. It won't ruin anything, but it will make a mess and is unnecessary.

Only use RTV to supplement the valve cover gasket on the timing chain end. Use a little in the seam and over the rounded portion of the cylinder head. Refer to the service manual EM-43, 44, 45 - in the version for the 2003 G35 Sedan.

Old 02-12-2010 | 07:53 PM
i just replaced my spark plugs i was lucky to find them without oil. i just reached 60k

Old 02-12-2010 | 10:41 PM

I just had the dealer tell me the same thing. and that this is not covered under the power train warranty. They also quoted me 900 bucks for parts and labor.

I thought that this was covered under the powertrain warrenty?

Btw i have a 2004 6mt with 63k miles. warranty ends in 2 weeks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!