Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by ivtecc
I just had the dealer tell me the same thing. and that this is not covered under the power train warranty. They also quoted me 900 bucks for parts and labor.

I thought that this was covered under the powertrain warrenty?

Btw i have a 2004 6mt with 63k miles. warranty ends in 2 weeks.

Do you have your warranty book??

If not, here's a link

http://www.infinitiusa.com/ownership/warranty.html

I found it on page 5 of my 2006 book.

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE

(left some stuff out here)

ENGINE - Cylinder heads and block and all internal parts, rocker covers and oil pan,valve train and front cover, timing chain and tensioner, oil pump, water pump and fuel pump, fuel injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel, seals and gaskets.

You are covered. Pull out the warranty book and show the dealer. A valve cover IS a rocker cover.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh okayy! Thanks.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Checked mine yesterday and they are all dry. Mine's an '05 with 50k miles. I'll check them again in 10k miles or so.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Sup gents,

I have an 03 coupe 6mt with 93K miles on it. I purchased it from 2nd lady owner... lady driven my *** lol i won't fall for that crap again. They drive slower alright, but don't take care of the car for ****.

I know these cars have oil consumption issues and this lady probably did not help by not keeping regular check on this. I have some serious oil consumption tho.

The oil just dissapears somewhere, it's eating about 2.2 quarts for about 5k miles.
Doesn't make any knocking noises, low oil sensors never fracking work or show me.

I'm positive that there wasn't much maintenance done on the car at all... could it be that the problems you discuss in this threads be linked to high oil consumption?

I noticed no leaks or anything unusual but the oil is going somewhere? I don't feel the engine needs replacement and initially thought the problem might be with pistons...

I was going to sell the car but love it way too much to give up bcause of this, but if i got to get a new engine it's gonna kill me

Any thoughts would help

Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by icecold2k1
Sup gents,

I have an 03 coupe 6mt with 93K miles on it. I purchased it from 2nd lady owner... lady driven my *** lol i won't fall for that crap again. They drive slower alright, but don't take care of the car for ****.

I know these cars have oil consumption issues and this lady probably did not help by not keeping regular check on this. I have some serious oil consumption tho.

The oil just dissapears somewhere, it's eating about 2.2 quarts for about 5k miles.
Doesn't make any knocking noises, low oil sensors never fracking work or show me.

I'm positive that there wasn't much maintenance done on the car at all... could it be that the problems you discuss in this threads be linked to high oil consumption?

I noticed no leaks or anything unusual but the oil is going somewhere? I don't feel the engine needs replacement and initially thought the problem might be with pistons...

I was going to sell the car but love it way too much to give up bcause of this, but if i got to get a new engine it's gonna kill me

Any thoughts would help

Your problem is discussed here

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ption-tsb.html

Warning though...make sure you have some alcohol when you start reading this thread. You'll need it

Old 02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I looked through the spark plug DIY video #1 but it didn't show removing the coil pack. So does removing the coil pack involve the same procedure?

1) Remove engine cover
2) Remove the intake, disconnect maf, airbox, air duct
3) Remove all the bolts/bracket holding the thick wires all around the engine
4) Pull all 6 coil pack

Planning to try it this weekend but the video looks a bit intimidating especially all the bolts that have to be removed.

I have grounding gear and stillen cai, will that involve more work?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
I looked through the spark plug DIY video #1 but it didn't show removing the coil pack. So does removing the coil pack involve the same procedure?

1) Remove engine cover
2) Remove the intake, disconnect maf, airbox, air duct
3) Remove all the bolts/bracket holding the thick wires all around the engine
4) Pull all 6 coil pack

Planning to try it this weekend but the video looks a bit intimidating especially all the bolts that have to be removed.

I have grounding gear and stillen cai, will that involve more work?
Yes, you do everything you would normally do to change the spark plugs. For me, the driver's side was very easy and the passenger side was a PITA. Really not that difficult overall though...took me about an hour.

You will probably have to unbolt some of your grounding wires, but not a big deal.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Dunno about grounding gear. Only thing I would say is unless you are going to pull the rocker cover, only pull one coil plug at a time. Leave the others on so no dirt or anything falls in the open spark plug tubes.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
Yes, you do everything you would normally do to change the spark plugs. For me, the driver's side was very easy and the passenger side was a PITA. Really not that difficult overall though...took me about an hour.

You will probably have to unbolt some of your grounding wires, but not a big deal.
Sounds like a project. 1 hr for typical people usually means 2 to 3 hours for me. So did you find oil? I remember two people said they didn't find oil and both happens to own a 05x (which is what I have). I am not even sure if it's good or bad news if you don't find it.

If I don't find oil, should I bother to changing the spark plugs? I only have 34k miles.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Sounds like a project. 1 hr for typical people usually means 2 to 3 hours for me. So did you find oil? I remember two people said they didn't find oil and both happens to own a 05x (which is what I have). I am not even sure if it's good or bad news if you don't find it.
It's mostly an easy DIY. Like I said though there are a few bolts that really suck.

All six of my coil packs were bone dry. I have 50K miles now so I will probably check them two more times before my powertrain warranty runs out.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mannifesto
Dunno about grounding gear. Only thing I would say is unless you are going to pull the rocker cover, only pull one coil plug at a time. Leave the others on so no dirt or anything falls in the open spark plug tubes.
Seriously, I don't think the grounding gear does anything (sorry Gordgee). I would of yank them all out but I already poked two holes through the firewall on the left side where it feeds down to the glove compartment. Maybe I can remove the other 8 wires.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
It's mostly an easy DIY. Like I said though there are a few bolts that really suck.

All six of my coil packs were bone dry. I have 50K miles now so I will probably check them two more times before my powertrain warranty runs out.
I edited my message after you replied. So did you change spark plugs since you already have everything unplugged.

My warranty expires on Christmas Eve.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
I edited my message after you replied. So did you change spark plugs since you already have everything unplugged.

My warranty expires on Christmas Eve.
I didn't change mine because I didn't have any new ones at the time. I will probably change them at the end of the year around 60K miles. I wouldn't bother changing them at 34K miles unless you just really want to.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I checked mine at 69910 miles, just in the nick of time. Found some oil spark plug number 4 and didn't even check the passenger side, it was a bigger pain in the *** then I was expecting. Took it to Infiniti of Clear Lake (Houston,TX) and they are replacing both gasket covers under the warranty. I brought in my own sparkplugs and they're replacing all 6 for 80 bucks labor. Seems a little high since its going to be opened up anyways but what can I do.

Glad I found this thread before my powertrain was up.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Took the 03.5 to the dealership and both valve covers have to be replaced. At least I'm still under an extended warranty that is expiring soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!