Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Valve lash adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll photo-log the whole ordeal and let you know how it turns out. I'm waiting for a couple more replies about the procedure before I start. I plan on doing it next weekend if these additive dont seem to help.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
You can buy BG products at any Nissan dealership. BTW... only put the MOA in with fresh oil.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by tcturbo76
I do run synthetic oil, but have never tried the BG products. I will get the MOA and 44 and try them...

I have the Service Manual, and it does seem like a real S.O.B. to do the valve lash adjustment, but I'm afraid its going to have to be done. I just really dont want to pay the Stealership to do it. Typically, what does the dealer charge for this "adjustment". I had a local Nissan whiz (worked for Nissan dealer for 20 years, started his own shop) look into it and said he wouldnt tear into it for less than $1000!
yep - it's doubtful anyone competent will do it for less than 1K - more likely close to $1500 (I'm sure the dealer would be even more).

Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Fellas, its your injectors. Its normal.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Dave, how can you determine that over the internet?...

I have valve tick, and I can assure you with 100% certainty it’s not the injectors.

I don’t know how you can determine that the OPs source is injectors without chance of being as wrong as diagnosing mine being injectors.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by tcturbo76
I see that the lifters come in 27 sizes. Do I order them by the difference in measurment of lifter thickness + out of spec. cold gap, or by the OEM size stamped on each lifter? That part of the procedure has me confused... The rest is just timing and nuts and bolts. I just want to do this once...

I scanned the manual just to illustrate the fact that this procedure is royal pain.

The manual says you need to confirm cold (easier) and hot clearances. Basicly you have to drive the car in the garage hot, remove all the crap as fast as you can and measure before the engine cools down too much.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I dont think its the injectors. This is a more pronounced noise, even with the hood closed. My friend has a 350Z and his doesnt sound nearly as bad as mine. I'm pretty sure its valve noise...

Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Red Card Crew

I'm sure you can just use a length of tubing(held up to your ear) while the engine is running to help verify where the noise is coming from.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I used the 'ol broom stick method (same as tubing)... and its coming from the rocker cover on the driver side.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Red Card Crew

Well you could take that valve cover off and maybe see something obvious.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by TwilightBlue
You can buy BG products at any Nissan dealership. BTW... only put the MOA in with fresh oil.
So.. I scored some MOA, 44K and Fuel Injection System Cleaner. The 44K and Fuel Injection cleaner came packaged together. FREE hook-up from a buddy at the local GM dealer parts counter. Gonna change oil and fill up with 93 tomorrow and add the additives.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Red Card Crew

It's possible that the valvetrain is varinshed to the point of having something sticky but I tend to doubt it. When you remove the oil fillter cap and look down at the cams/valvetrain, what does it look like? Clean aluminum? Or light/dark brown varnish?

Then again, it can't hurt to try.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Clean. Has oil on the cam, but not varnished.

I have a brother-in-law that builds race cars (Buick Grand Nationals), if I run into trouble with this valve lash adjustment, I'll refer to him.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Dave, how can you determine that over the internet?...

I have valve tick, and I can assure you with 100% certainty it’s not the injectors.

I don’t know how you can determine that the OPs source is injectors without chance of being as wrong as diagnosing mine being injectors.
I'd bet there's a 9 out of 10 chance that what he's hearing is the injectors. I've been working around these motors since 1998. These motors tick loudly and the tick comes from the injectors. My old VQ30 had loud injectors and my VQ35 has even louder injectors. Every VQ I've worked on has loud injectors. If you're in a garage, even with the hood closed, you can clearly here the injectors tick away. In all my years of working on these cars, I've never once heard of any requiring a valve adjustment except for those that have swapped cams or added stiffer valve springs. A friend of mine that use to be a Nissan tech (now Subaru) never once did a VQ valve adjustment.

tcturbo76 really needs to do the simple test of taking a screwdriver and placing the blade end on the injector cap and then the handle up against his ear. I'm pretty certain the ticking he's hearing is the injectors and this test can confirm it. Why not do a simple test before tackling such a complictated project?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I'd bet there's a 9 out of 10 chance that what he's hearing is the injectors. I've been working around these motors since 1998. These motors tick loudly and the tick comes from the injectors. My old VQ30 had loud injectors and my VQ35 has even louder injectors. Every VQ I've worked on has loud injectors. If you're in a garage, even with the hood closed, you can clearly here the injectors tick away. In all my years of working on these cars, I've never once heard of any requiring a valve adjustment except for those that have swapped cams or added stiffer valve springs. A friend of mine that use to be a Nissan tech (now Subaru) never once did a VQ valve adjustment.

tcturbo76 really needs to do the simple test of taking a screwdriver and placing the blade end on the injector cap and then the handle up against his ear. I'm pretty certain the ticking he's hearing is the injectors and this test can confirm it. Why not do a simple test before tackling such a complictated project?

I"ll try it... I'll post back shortly with my findings.

Again, I appreciate all the insight!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valve lash adjustment