Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Valve lash adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front passenger side of motor meaning inside the actual motor...i did take a look at the tensioners also because i figured that that could be a great source of noise, but everything looked good. Plus, from my first post you'll see that i have a lifter way out of spec which means it's pretty apparent that the tap is coming from from there

Old 04-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I wonder if you can check the cam lift on that lob? I was thinking you banged out the valve seat but if anything, that would make the clearances tighter, not looser.

But flattening a cam lobe might cause some clearances to open up. And it shouldn't be too hard to mic it while just the cover is off. I'd almost rather have it be a cam but with a new cam, you might have to adjust all the lifters!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I wonder if you can check the cam lift on that lob? I was thinking you banged out the valve seat but if anything, that would make the clearances tighter, not looser.

But flattening a cam lobe might cause some clearances to open up. And it shouldn't be too hard to mic it while just the cover is off. I'd almost rather have it be a cam but with a new cam, you might have to adjust all the lifters!
Jeff, when you say bang out the valve seat, what exactly do mean? Because if i am understanding you, i would think that that would make the clearances larger?

Also, what part of the head and all it entails is the shim? Like what is the actual name for it?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Red Card Crew

If the valve hits the valve seat too hard, it might sink the seat. But that would make the valve stem poke out higher on the other end. Well you might have bent a valve but that's a long shot.

If you have a copy of the FSM, refer to the pages I mentioned. It's very clear on those particular pages.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
ok Jeff, i understand what you were talking about now

Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all of your assistance...

I have a broken valve spring. Really evident when I had a whole coil laying in the valvetrain. All cold clearances are fine, except where I have the broken spring. Front, exhaust, passenger side spring is broken. Pretty sure thats where my noise is coming from...

Not sure what else to check. Im worried... Or is it just a fluke???

No, I havent taken any pictures. I just followed the manual to get to this point.

Last edited by tcturbo76; 04-20-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by tcturbo76

I have a broken valve spring. Really evident when I had a whole coil laying in the valvetrain. All cold clearances are fine, except where I have the broken spring. Front, exhaust, passenger side spring is broken. Pretty sure thats where my noise is coming from...

No, I havent taken any pictures. I just followed the manual to get to this point.
That's the first I've ever heard of this problem.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Red Card Crew

Wow! Could you tell if the retainer and hardware were still there? I hope it's still on the top of the valve or just sitting on the top of the head somewhere.

The question now is "how to you replace the spring w/o having to remove the head. Hopefully you can use some type of compressed air or something to keep the valve up while you replace the spring. Hell replacing the spring might be easier than finding the right bucket shim size.

At least you found the problem, good luck!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
good thing you didn’t stop after post #19

Your outcome is why I was so insistent (most of those posts were deleted)...

I don’t care what the peanut gallery says, you simply can not diagnose this type of situation over the internet - and personally I think it’s irresponsible for some people to be so certain that they know what the problem is - when in reality they don’t have a clue.

OP – kudos for tackling this as DIY (not many people would/could, certainly not me) – have you got everything buttoned up?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
The question now is "how to you replace the spring w/o having to remove the head.
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=485

Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by tcturbo76

Man that's a hell of a find. I'm not sure if you read my posts in this thread about me doing the DIY on a simlilar problem, but now im wondering if i didn't break a spring as well. It sure would explain why the lifter is so slouched down, making such a big clearance. I guess it's time to take the cams out and pull the lifter out. Let me know your progress. I am definetely interested.

My next step will be the cams, as everything is already off. Here i go!

-Cameron

Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35

I don’t care what the peanut gallery says, you simply can not diagnose this type of situation over the internet - and personally I think it’s irresponsible for some people to be so certain that they know what the problem is - when in reality they don’t have a clue.

OP – kudos for tackling this as DIY (not many people would/could, certainly not me) – have you got everything buttoned up?
You're amazing. You just can't let it go. By your rationale no one should offer up advice or experience in this forum.

Oh and yes, I was wrong with my original diagnosis in Post #19. Does that make you feel better?

Last edited by DaveB; 04-21-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
The retainer is intact. I cant beleive it, but it is. We are going to charge the cylinder with air. We have a tool to do this with, but have to make an extension so it will go deep enough.

It isnt buttoned up yet. I'm waiting for a spring. A spring... Should I change the whole set while I have it apart. It makes me nervous installing one new spring. Advice?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by OCG35

If you noticed, he took our opinions / advice and DID do this diy. Something I'm not sure he would have done otherwise.

And if you didn't notice, ANOTHER member has benefited from the thread as countless others have just from reading an interesting diagnosis. So if he took your advice, the rest of this thread wouldn't be here for the benefit of others.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Red Card Crew

Can you detail exactly how that took prevents the valve from dropping down into the cylinder? I see how it compresses the retainer down so you an access the locking parts but that's it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valve lash adjustment