Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Valve lash adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Jeff,

Here's the instructions for the JWT valve spring removal tool on a VQ35. To answer your question, you use air to keep the valve up. It's quite a nice tool.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...MOVER_INST.pdf
You beat me to it. I just found that also. Well, well, I guess because WE researched, we have the answer.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by OCG35
50-75psi of air in the cylinder keeps the valve closed (in the up position therefore not allowing it to drop down)… (if you bothered to read the link it would have answered your question but you like to play games instead).

Your primary question had nothing to do with the valve not dropping in – you were concerned about not being able to remove the spring with the heads bolted on. That’s why I linked the source for you.

Jeff – your games take too much of my time. You will never be doing this project anyway – so stop with your futile garble.

Wrong.

You CANNOT perform this procedure WITHOUT having a method of keeping the valve up. Something THIS TOOL does NOT do alone.

Someone that actually understands engines would know removing just the spring w/o keeping the valve up doesn't do anyone any good. Why? Because now you have to remove the head to get at the valve that just dropped down. But what do I know? I've only actually done engine work before

Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Red Card Crew

50-75psi of air in the cylinder keeps the valve closed (in the up position therefore not allowing it to drop down)… (if you bothered to read the link it would have answered your question but you like to play games instead).

Your primary question had nothing to do with the valve not dropping in – you were concerned about not being able to remove the spring with the heads bolted on. That’s why I linked the source for you.

Jeff – your games take too much of my time. You will never be doing this project anyway – so stop with your futile garble.

1) That link showed nothing. Other than point to ANOTHER link which you didn't not show, indicate or imply. Thus you assumed (incorrectly) that this tool was all that is needed.
2) I probably have a much greater chance at doing this project (if a spring broke) then you. Why? Because you farm out anything slightly difficult, while I tend to do this type work DIY.
3) If you want to get technical about it, the correct link would be to the instructions and not to merely the tool itself.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Jeff, You’re not very bright are you… My post you quoted told you how to keep the valve up… and like I sated, its in the link that you were too lazy to read… but suddenly when Dave finds it a light bulb goes off in your head

posts #93 and #103 both stated that your information can by found by reading the link I posted for you. Did you need me to link the PDF instructions for you??? OMG you really aren’t very bright.

BTW – yes, absolutely I would have an experienced show do something like this for me.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Red Card Crew

Jeff, You’re not very bright are you… My post you quoted told you how to keep the valve up… and like I sated, its in the link that you were too lazy to read… but suddenly when Dave finds it a light bulb goes off in your head
No it did not. You posted to the TOOL. For all that you know, you just should have posted the general JWT website. For all the good that link did to address the question.

posts #93 and #103 both stated that your information can by found by reading the link I posted for you. Did you need me to link the PDF instructions for you??? OMG you really aren’t very bright.
Actually until YOU researched, you didn't find anything but to confirm that your original link was incorrect.

I'll make it simple for you to understand:

Using shop air to keep the valve up (LIKE I WAS FIRST TO MENTION), prevents the need to remove the head. That tool does NOT.

Using the tool ONLY (like you suggested) would result in a dropped valve.

Odd that you had to come back one day later after all the bs and post it. Clearly you didn't read your own link and had no clue until you did.

BTW – yes, absolutely I would have an experienced show do something like this for me.
I guess I'm not bright but I can spell. What is a "show"? Primetime?

But go ahead and chime in again when you already said you were too busy to do so.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM
clicking the link I posted tells you everything you need to know... how to buy the tool, what the tool does and a PDF instruction sheet... all right there.

I didn’t research anything – I knew about this tool from when I did cams… I told you the info was in the link many, many posts ago…

Dave was able to figure it out - why are you so lacking in ability???

Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Why did you address a question that I poised an answer to? That tool doesn't allow you to perform the procedure w/o head removal alone. Which you clearly implied.

It only makes it easier. As the LINK mentioned. It's a nice tool though.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clicking the link I posted tells you everything you need to know... how to buy the tool, what the tool does and a PDF instruction sheet... all right there.

I didn’t research anything – I knew about this tool from when I did cams… I told you the info was in the link many, many posts ago…

Dave was able to figure it out - why are you so lacking in ability???
Man this chick ^^^ gets huffy over nothing!

Anyway, good luck, Jeff!

Last edited by igotthatfire247; 04-22-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by igotthatfire247
Man this chick ^^^ gets huffy over nothing!

Anyway, good luck, Jeff!

clearly you have no idea what the thread is about... "good luck Jeff"??? Jeff isn’t ever going to do this job or use the tool – hell, he cant even figure out the simple concept that his entire question was answered in one post with one link…he just likes crating drama - and claiming he's helping the op.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Red Card Crew

Mike just drop it. Again, you're ruining the thread with your unwarranted attention. I don't know that guy. He just posted his 3rd party objective opinion.

What does the statement about claiming I'll never do this have to do with anything.(I sure HOPE I won't!) You don't know. Only only thing that's clear is that you won't be.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Mike just drop it. Again, you're ruining the thread with your unwarranted attention. I don't know that guy. He just posted his 3rd party objective opinion.

What does the statement about claiming I'll never do this have to do with anything.(I sure HOPE I won't!) You don't know. Only only thing that's clear is that you won't be.
its amazing that I will never do this mod, yet I questioned Dave about his definative statment and was correct and I gave you all the answers to your question in one simple post with a link...

But somehow you're the experts and expect to so your own valve job :bowr oflbow

Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Red Card Crew

its amazing that I will never do this mod, yet I questioned Dave about his definative statment and was correct and I gave you all the answers to your question in one simple post with a link...

But somehow you're the experts and expect to so your own valve job :bowr oflbow
You had NO idea what the problem was just like we didn't. No one could see this coming. Our advice LED him on the right path. Which is the point. Which is why we are here and why this forum exists. I thought it was more than injector tick too. I didn't feel the need to rake him over the coals about it. It's a GUESS. And a righteous one to make BEFORE he tears in the engine before it's required. Which again was the point.

Mike. You just SAID you would never perform this procedure yourself. Do you not remember misspelling SHOP stating this???

BTW – yes, absolutely I would have an experienced show(shop sp!) do something like this for me.
ProTip. This isn't a MOD, it's a repair.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Someone that actually understands engines would know removing just the spring w/o keeping the valve up doesn't do anyone any good. Why? Because now you have to remove the head to get at the valve that just dropped down. But what do I know? I've only actually done engine work before
Like you understand how to take work on a car. All those DIY threads/pictures I've seen you post with your old 3rd gen Maxima were photoshopped. You know nothing. Liar.

Remember, if you don't have the exact answer, then don't post. It's as simple as that. Recommending inspection for the obvious problems first before diving in deep into the motor is not logical.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by tcturbo76
The retainer is intact. I cant beleive it, but it is. We are going to charge the cylinder with air. We have a tool to do this with, but have to make an extension so it will go deep enough.

It isnt buttoned up yet. I'm waiting for a spring. A spring... Should I change the whole set while I have it apart. It makes me nervous installing one new spring. Advice?
I think the failure of the spring was a very isolated event. I've never heard of a spring failing, but I guess it's entirely possible. If it were me, I'd just replace the single spring unless you plan on operating the car at high rpms for extended periods and/or go with an extended rev-limiter. If that's in your plans, then I'd order the stronger valve springs from JWT and you'd get a free rental of that nifty spring tool.

BTW, congrats on being one of the very few that dives this deep into a VQ35.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
You had NO idea what the problem was just like we didn't. No one could see this coming. Our advice LED him on the right path. Which is the point. Which is why we are here and why this forum exists. I thought it was more than injector tick too. I didn't feel the need to rake him over the coals about it. It's a GUESS. And a righteous one to make BEFORE he tears in the engine before it's required. Which again was the point.

Mike. You just SAID you would never perform this procedure yourself. Do you not remember misspelling SHOP stating this???

ProTip. This isn't a MOD, it's a repair.
1) insisting valve train noise is noisy injectors is not leading him in the right direction.
2) even the post you are replying to says I will never do this job... why are you bringing up another post were I said the same thing? - I never indicated I was going to remove valve springs (yet I was able to point you to the source to answer your quetions about doing it)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valve lash adjustment