Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP FAST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP FAST

I am going to purchase one or the other real soon(in 2days). I am definetely going to buy Z-tube and I am confusing between POP-Charger and K&N Corn Filter. Question:
1. Pop-charger produces the whitsle noise like turbo, but is this just short time sound or this whistle keeps on going until I let the gas pedal go? (in other word, is it like Pss! nice short sound, or Pssissis~ which is annoying sound?)
2. K&N has reputaion of making good filter, this filter makes sound that you could hear? or just so quite that no one barely hears?
3. If it was you which combo would you get?
Any help will be great! I need answers ASAP... Members help me~

2004 IP everything 5AT / MOMO shift **** / K&N Typhoon Intake / PS2 / Clear Corners / New blue Fog bulbs / New bulbs interior and exterior / Hotchick sway(soon)

Old 07-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Re: Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP FAST

The PC doesn't create a 'TURBO' like whistle, I don't know where you heard that.

In my opinion it's too raspy and loud, too ricey for me.

I've had PC and stock, and I prefer the stock system, but that's just my opinion.

I felt no gains from the PC either, and with the stock system the car runs smoother. Some people prefer the loud, semi-obnoxious sound of the PC; I just don't.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, Stillen CAB, 04 Z Suspension

Old 07-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know what sounds i got from the ztube vs the p/c cause i installed them together... but that whistling isnt annoying.. it is barly audible and when u do notice it... its cool sounding. I like the sound and it only happens from about 3krpm-4.5k... so its not as soon as u touch the gas until u let off completly. The ztube/p-c combo is much louder than stock under load at high rpm's and it really sounds 100% better than it did before. I got rid of the terrible high pitched whiney sound that the g has up in higher rpm's and i also got some small hp gains. I'm thinking of going back to the stock air box just to see if i DO actually like it better since some people do.... but i dont have complaints about the p-c and still htink its a pretty good mod.

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Re: Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP

I've got the Z-tube/K&N Filter combo and I'm a big fan. I think both combos are good - I just went with the K&N rather than the pop charger because I thought the PC appeared to draw in more warm air from the engine compartment. I also like that the K&N fits into the OEM aribox that appears to benefit from a ram air effect.

-townsley-
2003.0 Premium BS/Willow 5AT Sedan
ZTube/K&N Filter/Sport Suspension
Grounded/Tinted/Splash Guards
Lip spoiler/Aluminum Pedals
Battery Disconnect Switch

Old 07-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You might want to consider the Stillen cold air box. It has the advantages of both the PC and the stock ram air ducts. See the thread on the Stillen cold air box for more info.

2004 G35 6MT Blk/Blk Sedan Stillen Air, Stillen Exhaust

Old 07-20-2004, 05:42 PM
DED

He meant the K&N cone filter, not the drop in.

I think both the cone types are very similar.

Does the K&N come with some sort of heat shield?

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:43 PM

If I have Z-tube and the K&N drop in filter on my OEM part, those it make good sound when WOT?

So, does Pop-charger doesn't make whistle when WOT and just during specific RPM?

Old 07-20-2004, 07:56 PM

My pop charger does not make a whistle that is audible with the hood closed. I have not heard a whistle on DED's car, dabomb's car, or PlatG's car. It is possible that I'm deaf, but even Demonteverde could not hear the whistle on my car until we opened the hood, reved the engine in neutral, and he placed his ear RIGHT NEXT to the intake. He then laughed and said, "I think I hear something".

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 07-20-2004, 09:54 PM

I've had them both. The POPCharger makes an awesome sound. Maybe not more power, maybe yes - hard to tell. From what I've heard maybe 1 or 2HP, not enough to feel. The sound of the POPCharger, however is worth the price of admission. If you do decide to go the K&N route, I still have my old K&N filter if you're interested.

Lou

Old 07-21-2004, 11:15 AM

I have the PC in my sedan, I can hear the squeaky sound right at 2500rpm with window down since day one I put it on. no squeaky sound before or after 2500rpm. Is something wrong with my installation?

Silver/Graphite/Premium/Sports/Winter

Old 07-21-2004, 11:43 AM

I just re-installed my original air box with a K&N. I had the P/C for 5 months. I did like it, sounded pretty cool. Was no doubt louder than the stock, but right now with temps in the 100's about everyday, the stock air box seemed to me, better designed than the JW P/C. It was pulling too much hot air from underneath the hood. For some reason the low end has "brightened" up as well now. I can tell their is definitely a noticeable difference on the low end.

In the Fall, I will probably go with a JW P/C filter, the Stillen box, and insulate the crap out of it to get the best of both worlds.

B. Silver| 20" Iforged - Flux| Z-Tube | GroundingGear | Borla | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 100 Shot - Purge Light |Crawford Cats \ Brake Pro (Slotted Rotors) / Hawk HPS Pads<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by cloudkid on 07/21/04 08:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-21-2004, 11:56 AM

cloudkid,
Do you notice it running a lot smoother too?

The low end does brighten up with the stock box (especially around 1000 RPM)

Old 07-21-2004, 02:32 PM

Yes. It does seem to run "smoother". Maybe it is from being a little "quiet", though? I do however notice the the low end; 1000rpm-3k, it seems to have more punch.

B. Silver| 20" Iforged - Flux| Z-Tube | 6 Wire GroundingGear | Borla | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 100 Shot - Purge Light |Crawford Cats / Brake Pro's Slotted Rotors/ Hawk Pads

Old 07-21-2004, 02:38 PM

I agree, but the engine is quieter, but it also seems quiter, less vibrations, etc.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:42 PM

Yes. I also get a couple extra m.p.g over the P/C. I have had the P/C on for so long, this was one of the first impressions I had. This after 5 full tanks )17-18 gallons a fill. The engine does seem to run a little smoother, I do agree with you. The P/C did give the car a much meaner sound though. Hell, maybe +/- 3-5 HP give or take on any given day, depending on the conditions of that day, etc, etc, etc. I just wanted to test it out b/c the stock one was designed rather well, and I obviously was pulling in a ton of air from underneath the hood. Not a good thing for me in the 100 degree heat. Again, I eventually will go with the Stillen box, P/C filter, and madly insulate the livn' crap out of the exterior of the Stillen box. All this for " COOLER AIR".

B. Silver| 20" Iforged - Flux| Z-Tube | 6 Wire GroundingGear | Borla | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 100 Shot - Purge Light |Crawford Cats / Brake Pro's Slotted Rotors/ Hawk Pads

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pop-charger w/Z-tube or K&N w/Ztube NEED HELP FAST