Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Twin SUPERCHARGED g35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bypass

Originally Posted by Tony@RiversideInfiniti
actually I do not believe this to be the case. Technically, the Vortech is not of any benefit here in this setup.

the stillen blower compresses the air directly based on the engine speed, forcing more air into the roots type blower will not help it spin up any quicker. If anything, the small bypass valve on the side of it will dump the extra pressure. (this is the valve that controls the boost, since at idle even the blower is compressing air, it helps the car not to create boost whil idleing etc). I would expect there to be a huge buildup of pressure between the blowers, creating MAF sensor issues, thus creating fuel delivery issues. All in all an interesting thought, but not at all practical.

don't forget that the stillen blower only is goo up to about 7 psi before it heat soaks the air like crazy, robbing you of power ultimately. It's not efficient beyond that.

also technically speaking, the stillen blower will create boost even before the vortech spools, which completely defeats any purpose of this idea...

So would it help me to fab some pipes to bypass the roots? or is this totally hopeless

Old 09-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by g35&cd6
So would it help me to fab some pipes to bypass the roots? or is this totally hopeless
I duno about totally hopeless, I mean yeah it's pretty damn cool that you did it. I mean you must have done a lot of fab for the belt drives alone.

But realistically speaking I just don't see how one can benefit the other, if anything they counteract each other.

another thing I didn't mention before was that once the vortech spools up, and compresses the air into the motor, it's then hitting a huge bottleneck that is the roots blower. The roots style blowers are not huge in volume and will only push boost to certain levels, in this case it is 100% pulley derived. If the pulley only allows the SC to boost at say 7 psi, you can compress the air all you want before but that roots blower will only want to spin to create 7 psi. If you push more air into it than what it's trying to push out, you're going to hit a bottleneck. Also, once you do that, you need to remember that the roots blower is connected inside to the outside pulley, and the screws inside will only spin as fast as the engine will allow it to (since it's driven by the belts completely). Anything that is forced into it will want to make it spin faster, which is physically impossible since it has obvious resistance IE the pulley system. You're going to put soooo much stress onto that blower for no reason, if anything I think this system is simply a cool way to completely destroy that Stillen SC.

Also, if you bypass the boost going to the stillen SC you then counteract the entire purpose of having the vortech. If you bypass the boost the stillen makes, then you completely negate its reason for being on that engine.

Again, cool YES. But just an expensive and cool way of destroying things.

I haven't even begun to mention the entire fuel timing issues you're creating with this twin SC setup.....

And in the end what types of numbers or figures are you looking to create? even if tuned, built, and actually working somehow correctly, I don't see how you can get beyond say 375HP becuase of the inneficiency of that stillen blower ... Besides, if you want torque down low and high end power, you can go with a good ball bearing twin turbo setup for quick spooling and decent top end. Lighten the flywheel / clutch / pulley , and you're engine will spin up even that much quicker allowing you to boost faster etc... that's just the way to go IMO

Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 AM
wooowww... i'm learning alot here! lol

its cool that u started da engine though but i guess theres no point of having 2 superchargers huh....

Old 09-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lolololol sounds like your going "weoooowwww wheeeoowww" behind the camera

Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 AM
If you could get the Vortech to deposit it's air under the stillen, this could work. Basically, right now you have the superchargers in series, and you want them in parallel. Each SC would need it's own air intake, and you would need to work out the electronics of combining the two MAF sensor readings. Then the Roots would help you at really low end and the they would both help you at the top.

It sounds good in theory. If I had the SC's, a fab shop, and the time I would try it.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I like how all the haters vacated soon as i poseted a video...surprised they ant postin comments bout how it looks. cuz they cant say its goin to blow or not run.
Originally Posted by g35dawson
If you could get the Vortech to deposit it's air under the stillen, this could work. Basically, right now you have the superchargers in series, and you want them in parallel. Each SC would need it's own air intake, and you would need to work out the electronics of combining the two MAF sensor readings. Then the Roots would help you at really low end and the they would both help you at the top.

It sounds good in theory. If I had the SC's, a fab shop, and the time I would try it.
So just y piping the pipe that feeds the stillen and route it to connect below the stillen and add a valve to reguale flow. Also purchase a 2nd map to monitor and control that 2nd "throlle body" is your suggestion?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I would just fabricate a riser for the stillen with ports for the air from the vortech to enter. then let each breathe independently. Youre going to need someone good at control theory to add the signals of the maf.

btw maf is mass air flow which uses the amount of air mass coming in the intake to calculate how much fuel to send.
map is manifold air pressure which uses the pressure of the air inside the intake to calculate the amount of fuel to send. That's my understanding anyway

different things, im not even sure which one our car has. I think maf

Old 09-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I would just fabricate a riser for the stillen with ports for the air from the vortech to enter. then let each breathe independently. Youre going to need someone good at control theory to add the signals of the maf.

btw maf is mass air flow which uses the amount of air mass coming in the intake to calculate how much fuel to send.
map is manifold air pressure which uses the pressure of the air inside the intake to calculate the amount of fuel to send. That's my understanding anyway

different things, im not even sure which one our car has. I think maf
yea my bad i def. ment to put maf instead of map but yea thats correct and are you sure it would need 2 because i would think as long as the reading was taken befor the y in the pipe it would give a proper signal and dam i hope i can just tap into the current manifold without a riser cuz that means id have to find someone that even does that kinda work. i dount a could plasma cut a riser very well...haha

Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM

BINGO. This is the only real solution, think Toyota Supra. Now most people end up undoing all of the marvalous engineering that went into the sequential turbo system when they want to up the power. For this case to one-off something similar would take either alot of time or alot of money. But if it can be pulled off it would be awesome, not necessarily practical, but still awesome.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Tony@RiversideInfiniti
actually I do not believe this to be the case. Technically, the Vortech is not of any benefit here in this setup.

the stillen blower compresses the air directly based on the engine speed, forcing more air into the roots type blower will not help it spin up any quicker. If anything, the small bypass valve on the side of it will dump the extra pressure. (this is the valve that controls the boost, since at idle even the blower is compressing air, it helps the car not to create boost whil idleing etc). I would expect there to be a huge buildup of pressure between the blowers, creating MAF sensor issues, thus creating fuel delivery issues. All in all an interesting thought, but not at all practical.

don't forget that the stillen blower only is goo up to about 7 psi before it heat soaks the air like crazy, robbing you of power ultimately. It's not efficient beyond that.

also technically speaking, the stillen blower will create boost even before the vortech spools, which completely defeats any purpose of this idea...
New member and Mechanical engineer here. While this isn't necessarily the most simple and efficient way to make power, there is no reason it shouldn't work, and work in the way built now. At this point I see engine management as the only real roadblock.

Many people have been bringing up the fact the the stillen is only good to 7 psi or so, which is true, when its cold side is operating at atmospheric pressure. The full statement here is actually that the stillen is only good to make a pressure DIFFERENTIAL of 7 psi at atmospheric. It is creating an additional 7psi pressure, on top of the 14.6 that exist at sea level. As with any compressor, be it a turbo, a roots or a centrifugal supercharger, the pressure they create is always relative to the pressure on the intake side. You'll notice the effect of this on a supercharged car driving at high altitude, they make less pressure at the manifold because there is less at the intake.

So what would happen in practice is that the vortech will pressurize the middle intake tube to some nominal pressure, say 7 psi max. Once it reaches the stillen, it will be further pressurized by some amount. The evidence of this operation can be seen in virtually any twincharged car(turbo into roots blower) For examples look into hillclimb cars or the lancia delta group b rally car.

Are there better ways to make power, yes. Will this be easy to get accurate air measurements, no. Will the car make more boost than with one supercharger, yes in fact probably more than an unbuilt engine can handle safely.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Name:  motivational.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  32.8 KB

Lol! Everytime I get to this thread I think of this pic...
Still, good luck. I'm waiting to see a video of the car running.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by got_boost99

page 11, last post

Old 09-13-2009, 11:54 PM
NVM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by got_boost99

Lol! Everytime I get to this thread I think of this pic...
The forums are here to promote new ideas, and share ideas and information.
Is there a reason why you all are discouraging him so much...?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by NVM
haters

i want to see how this setup works. I thought about it for a blink then realized the cost isn't worth trying it. I would just turbo the car and have more potential and a simpler setup when i need the extra power.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by NVM
I'm not discouraging him, I'm just stating my thought. If you read my previous posts, you can see that I try to explain in technical terms the advantages and disadvantages. I hope this car comes along, it would be great to see. The OP will be very popular for being an innovator and for being unique, but to tell you the truth, having 2 superchargers, at least these 2, it will not help much. It will gain more low end power than having just 1 s/c.

Originally Posted by binder
haters

i want to see how this setup works. I thought about it for a blink then realized the cost isn't worth trying it. I would just turbo the car and have more potential and a simpler setup when i need the extra power.
Who is hating here? I don't need to hate. I told the OP numerous times that I want to see his car come thru. I'm in the same boat as you, if it was up to me, i'll go turbo and spend my money building the engine and fine tuning the car.

If you don't like the motivation poster, don't worry. I did not posted to discourage him, but to give my .02. I have posted the goods and the bads I've seen with this setup.

OP, I saw the vid you posted, I'm waiting to see one of the car once completed and running.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Twin SUPERCHARGED g35