Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Leaking valve cover write in campaign

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Btw, do you know if my covers shipped out yet? My card hasn't been charged yet.
No hurry, just wanting to know the status.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in the RND kit. How do I order? Site is down....

Old 03-13-2011, 01:29 AM
As I understand it, the $60 o-rings require drilling out the OEM valve covers to make them fit, and the $150 valve covers already have that done, with the o-rings in place, ready for installation?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:54 AM
If you don't want to do any work on the covers getting the old o-rings out and installing the new ones, just get the whole kit. Then send the old rocker covers back.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maleih
As I understand it, the $60 o-rings require drilling out the OEM valve covers to make them fit, and the $150 valve covers already have that done, with the o-rings in place, ready for installation?
yes, it will be ready for installation if you get the $150 kit, but we need your valve cover back , you will pay $250 at first and when you send your core back to us will will refund you the $100. let us know if you need more infor ,thank you .

Old 03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Would have been nice to know that I have to drill out my valve covers before I had ordered this in December or at least before I ripped my car apart. Its not reasonable to expect DIY'ers to drill out the VCs without access to proper machinery. Im fckin pissed! Look at the pic, now what, I have to go buy new valve covers which is the reason why I got these? My car is useless for now. I really hope R&D makes this right.

Attached Thumbnails Leaking valve cover write in campaign-g35giz.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 03:04 PM
another pic, this is of my VC and the repair grommet. This is the left bank/drivers side, form an 04 5at.
...........Unless I'm missing something here, or need more instructions?

Attached Thumbnails Leaking valve cover write in campaign-vcphoto.jpg  

Last edited by gizsf; 03-14-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Sorry to hear about it dude, but no one ever said these were a direct replacement, so you haven't done enough research about it before you purchased the product. If this was the case Nissan would be selling replacement grommets and people wouldn't be forced to purchase two brand new covers. Also, before blasting away at R&D on here, contact them directly and see if they'll help you out first. Good luck man. Try getting a complete kit and send the grommets back if you can. The only issue is that they might not have enough covers to work on, since I'm still waiting on mine. I'm a patient man though.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Just got put in a very crappy situation.
Per R&D post:
"The kit will come with both driver and passenger side valve cover gasket, six o-ring gasket and a simple instruction how to replace them."
Theres nothing simple about it, you need to drill out to 1-7/8" per plug hole, accurately and centered. I don't know of anyone whom can do this simply and I'd like to think I'm fairly handy.
I called R&D and spoke to Lance, I let him know what's going on,he said he'll see what he can do and call me back. I'll post back the outcome.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm not sure how you know about the R&D Factory grommet/seal kit and not know it requires drilling out the old seals... it's been discussed quite a bit in various threads...

I will agree though that not enough details were originally given about how this kit worked... and I understand that everyone doesnt read all threads about this kit... so I can see how it could be misleading... But the leaking seal issue has been discussed a bunch in a lot of places and the common factor is the seals are molded in and cant be replaced (that's why R&D came up with this solution).

So it's kinda hard to be pissed about something that is seemingly so obvious. I'm not trying to be crass or rude, just being real.

I hope you get it worked out though.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 AM
How long did it take you to get the old valve covers off?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Sorry fellas, not trying to be unreasonable. It's just from what I had read, which may not have been everything about these, led me to believe this would be doable at home. At the very least that it would come with the "simple instructions" so I would have known before dismantling and seeing that it's not made for home use. I knew they would have to be drilled out, and the pic I saw on page 5 by R&D of the VC seemed doable, but i didn't realize it was a cut-away with the bafffle removed. Did I read every thread on it, no. But all the posts I saw, including ones from R&D, made it seem like a fairly straight forward fix. I'm not knockin the product, Im actually glad a company can provide a fix for us that corrects what infiniti should have done. I just wasn't happy with my particular situation.
I have talked to Lance over at R&D and they are being great to take care of it.

Last edited by gizsf; 03-15-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ glad you got it worked out.

Now that a few people on the forum have these - hopefully we'll start seeing some results/reviews after several thousand miles...

Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to clarify, are the new o-rings replaceable without having to send in your valve covers again? In other words, if I sent in my covers and received modified ones in return, would I be able to pop out the o-rings and replace them myself in the future if they were to go bad again?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Didn't Andrei detail this in one of his picture heavy threads?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leaking valve cover write in campaign