Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

DIY Cam Position Sensor Easy Version

Old 08-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the op and all the other contributors on this thread. 2003 g35 with 149k. Original owners but our daughter uses the car to get to school. We had all 3 sensors replaced 4 years ago by a mechanic. I didn't know the fix at the time. And it was not cheap. My daughter was driving and got the service engine, VDC, and Slip lights. I checked the code and got a P0345. Found this thread and ordered an OEM sensor thru Amazon. Next day after getting gas car dies at the pump on her. Luckily it started after resting a few min. I started the job this morning - bank 2 driver's side sensor. My hat goes off to the folks who can do this replacement by reaching over from the passenger side. I attempted it, was able to find it by feel but, hell no could I do this job like one of the three blind mice!! I removed all the air filter hoses and the throttle body to do the job. The connector would only release by pressing down with a small flat blade scewdriver. After that it was a piece of cake and I cleaned the throttle body as well. Cleared the code and service engine light with my ODB scanner and everything seems good. I did notice the sensor did not have the logo that Nissan has on their parts so I assume it was not OEM. Hoping the other two sensors last a while longer.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Changed the d/s senor today, in ten minutes. 10mm small size spanner, and u good to go. No need to take off or remove anything, just put your hand through the back.

Last edited by ErikNYC; 10-17-2016 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Camshaft sensors are identical?????

I have a 2005 g35 coupe 6 speed manual I was curious I have seen many say and seen the the passenger side camshaft sensor is a straight one and the drivers side camshaft sensor is angled. I had the vdc slip and ses light come on I went to buy parts and they gave me straight and angled one but the description of parts were crankshaft and other was camshaft. My first question is isn't the crankshaft under the car? My next question is when I went to replace the two top sensors they were both straight ones neither was angled. So since the angled one didn't fit on drivers side I bought another one like I installed on passenger side and clip attached and bolted in, what I took out they were both straight.

My crankshaft part i bought by discription is angled and my assumption is that is under the car so I'm unsure why both up top were straight sensors and the angled is what I have left over can someone explain why this is. When I tried to us the angled one it did not allow the clip to go on it so I'm curious if my crank sensor is angled. I'm just going off everyone's post pics and videos about it unless 2005 was different.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmek100
I have a 2005 g35 coupe 6 speed manual I was curious I have seen many say and seen the the passenger side camshaft sensor is a straight one and the drivers side camshaft sensor is angled. I had the vdc slip and ses light come on I went to buy parts and they gave me straight and angled one but the description of parts were crankshaft and other was camshaft. My first question is isn't the crankshaft under the car? My next question is when I went to replace the two top sensors they were both straight ones neither was angled. So since the angled one didn't fit on drivers side I bought another one like I installed on passenger side and clip attached and bolted in, what I took out they were both straight.

My crankshaft part i bought by discription is angled and my assumption is that is under the car so I'm unsure why both up top were straight sensors and the angled is what I have left over can someone explain why this is. When I tried to us the angled one it did not allow the clip to go on it so I'm curious if my crank sensor is angled. I'm just going off everyone's post pics and videos about it unless 2005 was different.
The 6mt G's actually have 4 sensors on the back side. The camshaft sensors are the inner most ones. I made the same mistake on the drivers side as you did and pulled the wrong sensor. The straight sensor we both pulled is directly below the throttle body. The one you want is to the left a bit from there. It is indeed an angled sensor.

The following users liked this post:
newnewcomputer (11-12-2018)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by GreenPenguin
The 6mt G's actually have 4 sensors on the back side. The camshaft sensors are the inner most ones. I made the same mistake on the drivers side as you did and pulled the wrong sensor. The straight sensor we both pulled is directly below the throttle body. The one you want is to the left a bit from there. It is indeed an angled sensor.
so is it 3 of them that are straight and 1 angled? Damn I returned the angled one cause I replace the two straight sensors. I'm curious about the other two where they can be. If the third angled one is further to the side angled wise where is the 4th one?

Old 02-28-2017, 07:56 AM
do the other two sensors have green plug in's and are they at the same level as the two I replaced?

Old 02-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by jdmek100
do the other two sensors have green plug in's and are they at the same level as the two I replaced?
The 4 sensors on the 6mt are roughly in this orientation when looking straight towards the engine firewall:

0 7
7 0

The 7's represent the two angled sensors. The top 0 and 7 are the bank 1 and bank 2 camshaft sensors. The bottom 7 and 0 are i think throttle or timing position sensors. The bank 1/ passenger side clip is green while the bank2/driverside clip is gray. Hope this helps

Old 02-28-2017, 09:01 AM
The 4 sensors on the 6mt are roughly in this orientation when looking straight towards the engine firewall:

0 7
7 0

The 7's represent the two angled sensors. The top 0 and 7 are the bank 1 and bank 2 camshaft sensors. The bottom 7 and 0 are i think throttle or timing position sensors. The bank 1/ passenger side clip is green while the bank2/driverside clip is gray. Hope this helps
Sorry, my attempted illustration keeps getting autoformatted. I will try to post up a photo in a sec

Old 02-28-2017, 09:30 AM
DIY Cam Position Sensor Easy Version-2013-02-10_043825_blockrear.jpg

So in this photo you can clearly see where the two cam position sensors are as they are still plugged into the back of the block. If you look to the left of the bank 2 side, you will see a circular hole just beneath the the valve cover which is where the other straight sensor plugs into. That is the sensor we both mistakenly thought was the cam sensor. The fourth sensor which is also an angled sensor is just to the right of the bank 1 sensor. Also, I said the clip for bank 2 was gray- its actually black with a green push button. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:00 PM

0 7
7 0

ok thanks i appreciate that

Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Thanks for the detail, and I'm glad I don't have a Revup!

Old 02-28-2017, 10:39 PM
Attachment 177716

So in this photo you can clearly see where the two cam position sensors are as they are still plugged into the back of the block. If you look to the left of the bank 2 side, you will see a circular hole just beneath the the valve cover which is where the other straight sensor plugs into. That is the sensor we both mistakenly thought was the cam sensor. The fourth sensor which is also an angled sensor is just to the right of the bank 1 sensor. Also, I said the clip for bank 2 was gray- its actually black with a green push button. Sorry for the confusion.
Here is a picture of passenger side, this is a update for the 6mt owners out there mine is a 2005 rev up so I figured I would post a pic of the two sensors on the passenger side the inner one is the straight plugged sensor with green plug and the angled one is a black plug with green push clip. Both have three wires coming out of them. The two with green harness plugs are the straight sensors and the black harness plugs are for the angled sensors. It will be the same on drivers side just a little harder to get to but can be done with a little elbow grease.

They are circled in red in the pic I posted below and the pic a few post up with engine on the stand that GreenPenguin posted shows the g35s with just two sensors like most have. As the 6mt rev up engines have 4 sensors total

The green plug is plugged into camshaft sensor and the black plug is plugged into crankshaft sensors. It's the same on drivers side

Last edited by jdmek100; 02-28-2017 at 10:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdmek100:
Blue Dream (03-01-2017), ErikNYC (05-07-2020)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having a hard time.

I can't seem to get my wrench on the bolt to get it off any suggestions?

Old 04-12-2017, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by KChenier
i just used a 3/8 ratchet with a 3 inch extension with the 10mm socket and I got it off no problem at least good enough to crack it loose then you can remove by hand so you don't drop screw or back it out by removing ratchet and backing it out by hand with with extension and 10mm socket

Old 04-12-2017, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by KChenier
I used an offset box ended wrench. Put my indindex finger on the bolt to guide me in as we're working blind back there.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Cam Position Sensor Easy Version