Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Motordyne Spacer dyno test results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting the page, Dizz what size spacer did you get?

Thanks again,

John

Old 02-21-2005, 09:12 PM
1/2". If you care about your engine cover, you may want to go with the 3/8".
I'd rather gave that miniscule amount of volume in my intake manifold rather than a piece of asthetic BS that one ever sees unless you have the hood up.
Last time I checked, I don't drive with my hood up. =)

Old 02-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dizz
1/2". If you care about your engine cover, you may want to go with the 3/8".
I'd rather gave that miniscule amount of volume in my intake manifold rather than a piece of asthetic BS that one ever sees unless you have the hood up.
Last time I checked, I don't drive with my hood up. =)
I know I would much rather not give the dealer a reason to give me a hard time, and engine cover = looks stock and gives them no reason to start poking around

Old 02-21-2005, 10:24 PM
So where do we order one of these should we decide?

Old 02-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by copbait
I know I would much rather not give the dealer a reason to give me a hard time, and engine cover = looks stock and gives them no reason to start poking around
Infiniti Tustin= Mod friendly dealer.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for the lower rpms of the dyno, the dyno guy asked us to begin at 45 mph in 5th and floor it till 6100 rpm at which point he asked us to stop. one thing is that the rpm readings on the dynos are a bit off by maybe 500 or so rpm. if you look at the cutoff point, that should be 6100 rpm. just shift everything to the right.

lucky for me, ive got a ts ecu so i didnt have to cutoff my chart at 6100...i got to go to 6500! i dont have a scanner, but im sure hydrazine will post my numbers and a chart with it. =)

and FOR THE LAST FREAKING TIME. I DIDNT MAKE 5 HP. I MAKE 8 DAMN IT. THATS ALMOST DOUBLE!

Old 02-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by THX723
I seriously doubt Z-tube is worth 5-7hp. It is largely a noise maker and one's lucky if they found a 1 or 2 hp from it. Anything upstream of the throttle body has minimal impact to the engine aspiration. Guess what, I didn't feel (nor expected) a darn thing after installing one. They sure sound cool though.
I've got 3 different dynos that PROVE the 5-7 hp gain. I'll post 'em later should you like...

Old 02-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Dizz,

Yeah I went with the 1/2" for my sedan, just waiting for the gaskets to come in so that I can get mine. I was just curious so that we can see what differernces the different sizes make.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:51 AM
What are your A:F's like? When I installed my Crawford plenum my A:F was around 14.5:1 which is somewhat lean. Technosquare added more fuel to bring it down to 13.5:1. The problem is that the MAF sensor is before the plenum and doesn't account for the increased amount of air to the intake manifold.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gspot35
What are your A:F's like? When I installed my Crawford plenum my A:F was around 14.5:1 which is somewhat lean. Technosquare added more fuel to bring it down to 13.5:1. The problem is that the MAF sensor is before the plenum and doesn't account for the increased amount of air to the intake manifold.
It shouldn't because any extra air entering the manifold, first has to go through the MAF sensor therefore the sensor has to read any additional air flow. These sensors can adapt to a lot more air flow and can support about 350hp without any changes. The limitiations are the injectors which max out at full duty cycle at around 320hp or so.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Sure it's pulling more air, but how that air is disbursed is now changed due to the different angle of the plenum. The narrow band O2 sensor that come stock only tells the ecu lean or rich. Not how rich or how lean, and that is decided after the engine has processed the mixture. This is what Crawford and Technosquare have decided. They actually get better results with the stock intake and a plenum mod than they do with a CAI and a plenum mod. BTW, I had a 96 Maxima 5 speed that ran 13.79's with a 70 shot of NOS! It was a fun car to mod, very challenging.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
What am I missing here? The without spacer spreadsheet is not matching the dyno plots. According to the dyno plots:

W/O Spacer Run 1 2 3
Max power 210hp/206tq 207hp/203tq 206hp/203tq

W/ Spacer Run 1 2 3
Max power 210hp/203tq 215hp/207tq 214hp/208tq

There definitely seems to be some gains here (7-8hp and 4 tq on average), but it appears the comparison is between the worst dyno run (#4 which isn't even shown on the plot) with out the spacer and the best dyno with the spacer. Not exactly weeding out the bias I would have compared runs #2 with and without the spacer. It seems the most accurate.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:05 PM
There definitely seems to be some gains here (7-8hp and 4 tq on average), but it appears the comparison is between the worst dyno run (#4 which isn't even shown on the plot) with out the spacer and the best dyno with the spacer. Not exactly weeding out the bias I would have compared runs #2 with and without the spacer. It seems the most accurate.[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer to compare the entire curves of all 6 runs and not just the peak numbers.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dead Dyno...

Sorry guys....I failed to get conclusive data results for you.
Not that I didn't try.......
I went to Z1 Motorsports today to get my car dynoed with the spacer.
I just had it dynoed there on the same machine last month.
But....when I got there...the Dyno was down! They were waiting on a part.
So instead of wasting a 100 mile round trip....I went ahead and had them install my resonated test pipes and change the manual trans and diff fluids to RedLine Synth.
My car runs and sounds awesome!!!
But....I have no data on just the spacer now. Sorry.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy
Sorry guys....I failed to get conclusive data results for you.
Not that I didn't try.......
I went to Z1 Motorsports today to get my car dynoed with the spacer.
I just had it dynoed there on the same machine last month.
But....when I got there...the Dyno was down! They were waiting on a part.
So instead of wasting a 100 mile round trip....I went ahead and had them install my resonated test pipes and change the manual trans and diff fluids to RedLine Synth.
My car runs and sounds awesome!!!
But....I have no data on just the spacer now. Sorry.
I hate dead dynos.
On a different note, several guys have said that cats or test pipes combined with a plenum give some noticeable gains. So...you you got even more performance out of it?

My spacer will be here next week probably. I'll chime in with my findings after the install and some hard running.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne Spacer dyno test results