Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Motordyne Spacer dyno test results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the numbers i am showing you guys were not the lowest and higest. they were the highest of both. the way the dynos was working that day and with the cars warming up and all, it seemed that the 1st run was the lowest and then higher and higher until the 3rd and 4th were almost identical.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=jjellyneck]I hate dead dynos.
On a different note, several guys have said that cats or test pipes combined with a plenum give some noticeable gains. So...you you got even more performance out of it?

I would say DEFINATELY!!!!!
I just don't know now which contributed the most.....
I installed the Megan Racing resonated test pipes. I have the Gruppe S Y pipe, stock mid, and the Greddy rear muffler.
No rasp....but at around 4K.....It is kinda LOUD!
I swear....the stock cats must weigh 35lbs.........

Old 02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neffster
I've got 3 different dynos that PROVE the 5-7 hp gain. I'll post 'em later should you like...
That'd be fine, but I can also show you dyno data that says otherwise.

Then there's the question of how the dyno runs were conducted. The single most important factor would have been coolant temperature monitoring. You can gain/lose 5-10hp from a 10deg. shift in coolant temp.

BTW ... I'm only refering to the Z-tube (no CAI) here.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:15 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by THX723
That'd be fine, but I can also show you dyno data that says otherwise.

Then there's the question of how the dyno runs were conducted. The single most important factor would have been coolant temperature monitoring. You can gain/lose 5-10hp from a 10deg. shift in coolant temp.

BTW ... I'm only refering to the Z-tube (no CAI) here.
I can assure you that the coolant temp was monitored in this last test. I was holding the tester many times and we'd only start the dyno test when the collant temp was at 192 degree F.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:18 PM
yes, i can second that. we did not run until coolant temp was 192. and that is partially the reason we were there dyoing from 9 in the morning till 8 at night. and lucky me got to go last. but i did get the highest N/A numbers of the day so i cant complain. =)

Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=OldVFRGuy]
Originally Posted by jjellyneck
I hate dead dynos.
On a different note, several guys have said that cats or test pipes combined with a plenum give some noticeable gains. So...you you got even more performance out of it?

I would say DEFINATELY!!!!!
I just don't know now which contributed the most.....
I installed the Megan Racing resonated test pipes. I have the Gruppe S Y pipe, stock mid, and the Greddy rear muffler.
No rasp....but at around 4K.....It is kinda LOUD!
I swear....the stock cats must weigh 35lbs.........
Hey vfrguy, I bought those megan pipes too. I haven't installed them yet.
So you say it's not raspy until you hit 4k but do you smell any fumes in the cabin? or does it stink that bad as to where a cop will pop you for having removed your cats?

Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Dizz]
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy

Hey vfrguy, I bought those megan pipes too. I haven't installed them yet.
So you say it's not raspy until you hit 4k but do you smell any fumes in the cabin? or does it stink that bad as to where a cop will pop you for having removed your cats?
I had those installed, and although they sounded great, I thought the smell coming out the back was pretty nasty and was a dead give-away. I also feel more comfortable driving here in CA after switching to hi-flow cats considering the strict laws. The hi-flow cats also sound great but don't smell any worse than regular cats.

IMHO, test pipes might be fine on a straight up sports car, but not a luxury coupe with Infiniti badges.

There are lots of threads about this on various forums tho, so for more info try a few searches, no need to derail this one any further

Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=copbait]
Originally Posted by Dizz

I had those installed, and although they sounded great, I thought the smell coming out the back was pretty nasty and was a dead give-away. I also feel more comfortable driving here in CA after switching to hi-flow cats considering the strict laws. The hi-flow cats also sound great but don't smell any worse than regular cats.

IMHO, test pipes might be fine on a straight up sports car, but not a luxury coupe with Infiniti badges.

There are lots of threads about this on various forums tho, so for more info try a few searches, no need to derail this one any further
When did helix start making a Hiflow cat?
You have a link?

Old 02-22-2005, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Dizz]
Originally Posted by copbait

When did helix start making a Hiflow cat?
You have a link?
PM sent

Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 PM
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by Randys_G
I can assure you that the coolant temp was monitored in this last test. I was holding the tester many times and we'd only start the dyno test when the collant temp was at 192 degree F.
That wasn't directed towards you guys, instead it was in response to Neffster's reply. I knew coolant temp was being monitored at the dyno day ... I suggested it along with the ECU resets. I was also glad to see good consistancies between runs as the result.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:40 AM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Somebody tell me where you get the spacer. Two or three of us have asked but everybody just keeps quoting dyno results.

Is there a web site or a secret code word that we, the uninformed (the unclean) need to know to join this most exclusive of clubs...the "I got a spacer and you don't" club?

Old 02-23-2005, 12:56 AM
G Kreuzer
try PM'ing 'Hydrazine' ... and don't forget the secret hand shake!

Old 02-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by THX723
That wasn't directed towards you guys, instead it was in response to Neffster's reply. I knew coolant temp was being monitored at the dyno day ... I suggested it along with the ECU resets. I was also glad to see good consistancies between runs as the result.
The cars were all sitting idle for over 2 hours, the results are posted below... The following shows a picture of a dynojet dyno showing a stock G35 5AT coupe, a 5AT coupe with the Z-Tube and P/C, and a 5AT coupe with the Z-Tube and Stock Air Box. The green line is the stock G35, the Red is the Z-Tube and Popcharger and the blue is the Z-tube and stock air box (with paper filter).

Attached Thumbnails Motordyne Spacer dyno test results-daniel_wes_richard-comparison-smoothing.jpg  
Old 02-23-2005, 09:43 AM
The cars were all sitting idle for over 2 hours, the results are posted below... The following shows a picture of a dynojet dyno showing a stock G35 5AT coupe, a 5AT coupe with the Z-Tube and P/C, and a 5AT coupe with the Z-Tube and Stock Air Box. The green line is the stock G35, the Red is the Z-Tube and Popcharger and the blue is the Z-tube and stock air box (with paper filter).
Looks like a little more juice with the Z tube. When I installed mine on an otherwise stock 6MT coupe, I did not feel a butt dyno difference, but I noticed that the power did not flatten out as much (or drop) in the upper RPMs. Just enough to note a difference.
neffster did a fabulous job in all aspects of the S. Florida dyno day...from eveything I've seen.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:54 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Neffster, do you have any dynos from that day comparing Z-tube vs stock on the same car? In my experience, these cars do not put out the exact same WHP. For example, in my first dyno, my car with a Z-tube was 219 WHP. On the same machine that day, another car with Z-tube and popcharger was 236 WHP. And we know that the popcharger doesn't give 17 HP gain. (Both 5AT coupes in 4th).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne Spacer dyno test results