Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Hydrolock from CAI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrolock from CAI?

It has come to my attention that there may be a possibility that my engine can hydrolock during heavy rains due to the AEM CAI being partially exposed. Is this true? Also, what about the winter?

Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 PM
G SQUAD
just put a bypass valve and forget it

Old 04-28-2005, 08:56 PM
I tried looking for one. AEM doesn't list one for the G35, but they do for the 350Z. I'll call my sales guy at Stillen and ask him if the Z one will fit.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by JC79G35
It has come to my attention that there may be a possibility that my engine can hydrolock during heavy rains due to the AEM CAI being partially exposed. Is this true? Also, what about the winter?
If you went outside during "the rain-storm of the century" and took a deep breath, do you think you would drown? No. You might get water droplets and water vapor with your breath of air, but not even enough to make you cough.

If you put your head in a tub full of water and [try to] take a deep breath, will there be negative consequences for you? Yes. You're going to suck up a solid column of liquid water and send it staight into both of your lungs.

Your engine's cold air intake functions in much the same way. During a rain storm, droplets of water will not pose a danger. Your engine may even run better during a heavy rain. However, if your air intake becomes submerged, sucking up a solid column of water and sending it to the cylinders, that's not good! Liquid water will not compress like water vapor and air, but your engine will die trying to do just that.

As for snow, I don't think this poses any more of a threat than rain. I'd be more concerned about an exposed filter getting a layer of ice forming on it, constricting or shutting off the air supply. If that should happen, your engine may stop running, but it won't tear itself apart. You'd just need to defrost the filter, put it back on, and continue on your way.

Does that make any sense?

Old 04-28-2005, 09:32 PM
So you're basically saying that if, your car is running with the filter exposed to direct rain, it won't hydrolock?

Old 04-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
it wont hydrolock unless your intake is literally submerged in water... Ive driven in Houston's heavy rainstorms, and my car runs fine.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:21 PM
the bypass valve for the 350z is the same for the G. The entire intake is actually interchangeable.. just different instructions..

Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Thumbs up

I spoke with my sales rep at Stillen, he says that the 350Z bypass will not fit the G35 AEM due to clearence issues. He's gonna talk to AEM and see if they have one for a G35, because it is odd that they have one for the 350 and not the G since they are almost identical.

Anyway, from what I gathered from you guys (thanks for your input by the way), I should not be too worried. Just have to stay away from the viaduct underpasses during downpours since thats the only way I can see my intake getting submerged since those flood at times.

Or I could go with a Z tube with a Stillen intake (no way I'm going back to the restrictive stock one).

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Old 04-29-2005, 01:40 PM
G SQUAD
it s a 3 inch bypass valve from aem and your set

Old 04-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
good lord not this again....

Old 04-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Don't worry about the bypass valve. You shouldn't have any problems. As long as you don't try to cross a shallow river, you'll be fine.

Air is ligther than water and will much more easily be sucked in. So basically, as already mentioned, unless the filter is completely or mostly submerged, you don't have to worry.

Also, another point to take into consideration, from my experience with my car and my friend's cars, the lower the car, the slightly higher the possitibility of hydrolock. But again, the chances aren't high. At least in CA. I can't speak for the rest of the nation and the condition of the roads, but in CA the roads are awesome.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
This is getting to be an urban legend. I think we need Mythbusters to dispell this myth once and for all.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Let's say you remove the stryofoam behind the bumper and have the cai exposed through the vent. Driving 3 hours in heavy rain @ 70 won't hydrolock the engine? The engine is sucking, rain is attacking it, wouldn't that be enough to mess things up? Won't water eventually reach internals?

Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by lucidazn
Let's say you remove the stryofoam behind the bumper and have the cai exposed through the vent. Driving 3 hours in heavy rain @ 70 won't hydrolock the engine? The engine is sucking, rain is attacking it, wouldn't that be enough to mess things up? Won't water eventually reach internals?
That's a pretty unlikely scenario.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
How is it unlikely? I make many trips from Binghamton,NY to New York city. The drive is 3 hours, and Binghamton with it's neighbors are notorious for heavy rains. I have driven the entire way with rain, heavy at first tapering to a light rain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hydrolock from CAI?