Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Although its clearly for the "REVUP" engine it will probably do a little something on the regular engine. I still need to dyno it though and its on my list of things to do!

And something tells me the M35X doesn't get a REVUP engine.
Send me "it" and I'll test it at my track before and after, same night, multiole passes. Send me "it" now!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Damn Dave, I know you've done a lot of runs at the strip but this has got to be on a REVUP.

REVUP!!!! Don't we have any experience drivers with a REVUP????

Old 10-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Dave, I know you've done a lot of runs at the strip but this has got to be on a REVUP.

REVUP!!!! Don't we have any experience drivers with a REVUP????
I've done a search, so I'm assuming that the "REVUP" engine is the one on the new 6MT equipped G35s, not the 5ATs. Does this apply to the 350Z as well?

Is this known as the REVUP elsewhere in the industry as well, or just here? How did the term REVUP come to be? If I ask the Infiniti dealership about it, are they going to give me an strange oblique look?

Sorry to take this off-topic, but I figured that if I had these questions, others would as well.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm an experienced driver with an 05 6MT. I leave Wednesday for a week to San Fran, though. The temps around here in Austin are starting to cool off nicely.

What is the install time?

It would seem that the best option if you really want "comparative" track times would be to install the mod in between several sets of passes.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I've done a search, so I'm assuming that the "REVUP" engine is the one on the new 6MT equipped G35s, not the 5ATs. Does this apply to the 350Z as well?

It does on certain models of the 05 350Z. But it will be in all 2006 350Z 6Mt's like it is on the G35.

Is this known as the REVUP elsewhere in the industry as well, or just here? How did the term REVUP come to be? If I ask the Infiniti dealership about it, are they going to give me an strange oblique look?

REVUP seems to be what everyone else calls it but I don't know the origin.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by trebien
I'm an experienced driver with an 05 6MT. I leave Wednesday for a week to San Fran, though. The temps around here in Austin are starting to cool off nicely.

What is the install time?

It would seem that the best option if you really want "comparative" track times would be to install the mod in between several sets of passes.
Install time is about 2 hours tops. I can do it in 45 min.

And yes, I totally agree on installation between "several" sets of passes. This will help wash out the normal variability. It may even be best to simply use 3-4 of the best passes to eliminate bad runs such as mis-shifts, excessive wheel hop or spiners.

While running, you may even want to experiment with different shift points based on the new shape of the power and TQ curve you will have. I suspect you may be better off shifting a few hundred RPM short of redline, but use what ever produces the best results. Only experimentation can tell.

It may even be good to do several runs throughout the day. Let the car cool off. Install it. Take it home for some subjective testing, personal familiarization and ECU adaptation. Then take it to the track the next day and give it your best.

Doing it the next day (beginning at the same time of day) will take out sun soaked asphalt temperature variability. Fatigue. ...And hopefully you will get the same atmospheric conditions. I can also describe for you engine temperature control techniques so you can keep heat soak to a minimum for both sets.

If you are experienced enough that changing track variables can be ignored, you can just do it right there and then. But do expect to feel a significant difference in TQ. You will get TQ induced wheel spin where you didn't have it before!

How many slips do you have?
Can you describe you launch techniques?
Tires? Other possible Mods?

Old 10-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread, but somebody help me understand.

Is this a different mod than the 1/2" Motordyne spacer I have? (I have the new one with the iso-thermal gasket).

Has Tony already come out with another new product that I didn't know about?

Old 10-15-2005, 08:28 PM
I suspect you may be better off shifting a few hundred RPM short of redline, but use what ever produces the best results. Only experimentation can tell.
That thought did cross my mind, after looking at the dyno charts. Maybe even 500 rpms below redline...

How many slips do you have?
Can you describe you launch techniques?
Tires? Other possible Mods?
I have no slips on the G35 yet. Yes, I've launched hard under many different circumstances, but haven't actually taken the G to a timed track, yet. Starting at about 3K rpms and feathering until the wheels catch up seems to work well. I tend to be a good launcher, with good feathering abilities. VDC off.

I have a lot of experience in the performance industry. Trust me - if I can launch a 650hp Viper... I can probably do just fine in a ~300hp G.

Completely stock car. 10K miles. Turanza ER33 tires. See sig for more details. Future possible mods would include cats/exhaust. After that, the path leads to FI. I have no intention of doing a bunch of bolt-ons to get 10 whp, then have most of them not be compatible for the TTs and have to take them all off. But an easy mod to get ~20 hp/tq... is much more reasonable.

Like I said - if you want results in a week, I won't be in town. But after that, I'll be around and there are several tracks in the area. I can get digital video of the runs as well. I would also like to do before and after dyno charts. I know you already have some... but just to put with the slips... as long as we're measuring, may as well.

Last edited by trebien; 10-15-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread, but somebody help me understand.

Is this a different mod than the 1/2" Motordyne spacer I have? (I have the new one with the iso-thermal gasket).

Has Tony already come out with another new product that I didn't know about?
Hi Jeff,
This one is a "REVUP" engine mod.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Hi Jeff,
This one is a "REVUP" engine mod.
Gotcha.

Wow, you've been really busy lately haven't you!?!

Old 10-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by trebien
That thought did cross my mind, after looking at the dyno charts. Maybe even 500 rpms below redline...

I have no slips on the G35 yet. Yes, I've launched hard under many different circumstances, but haven't actually taken the G to a timed track, yet. Starting at about 3K rpms and feathering until the wheels catch up seems to work well. I tend to be a good launcher, with good feathering abilities. VDC off.

I have a lot of experience in the performance industry. Trust me - if I can launch a 650hp Viper... I can probably do just fine in a ~300hp G.

Completely stock car. 10K miles. Turanza ER33 tires. See sig for more details. Future possible mods would include cats/exhaust. After that, the path leads to FI. I have no intention of doing a bunch of bolt-ons to get 10 whp, then have most of them not be compatible for the TTs and have to take them all off. But an easy mod to get ~20 hp/tq... is much more reasonable.

Like I said - if you want results in a week, I won't be in town. But after that, I'll be around and there are several tracks in the area. I can get digital video of the runs as well. I would also like to do before and after dyno charts. I know you already have some... but just to put with the slips... as long as we're measuring, may as well.
Awesome. Sounds like a plan.
Send me a email and we can make arrangements for when you get back.

BTW the lowest peak gain ever measured on this mod is 15+ HP @ ~4.5K RPM, so I will advertise it as a 15+ mod.

Tony

Old 10-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Is mod going to be anything that would be considered an upgrade for the 1/2" spacer I already have.

In other words, will this mod even fit on an '05 AT? If it did fit, would it work better than my 1/2" spacer with the iso thermal gasket?

Man, I'm already jealous of the 6MT owners.

I'm halfway there. I have an '05, just not a 6MT.

Old 10-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Is mod going to be anything that would be considered an upgrade for the 1/2" spacer I already have.

In other words, will this mod even fit on an '05 AT? If it did fit, would it work better than my 1/2" spacer with the iso thermal gasket?

Man, I'm already jealous of the 6MT owners.

I'm halfway there. I have an '05, just not a 6MT.
It certaintly won't do more than your 1/2" spacer on an 05 auto.

Besides, You're getting a good 11-13 HP from the 1/2" spacer.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:48 AM
will the engine cover still fit after this mod? thats one reason im trying to stay away from the plenums. i think the engine cover looks so damn good =)

Old 10-16-2005, 05:46 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yes it will fit the engine cover

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering