Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My latest oil analysis, and from the last 2 1/2 years as well

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My latest oil analysis, and from the last 2 1/2 years as well

Sink you teeth into this...

There a thread over at BITOG and I will post a link as soon as their site comes back up. I'm a little tired to type my thoughts and comments right now but will when I have the energy (tomorrow).

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=3;t=003031

Last edited by chinee; 11-11-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry but i cant read this chart lol
i guess i have to wait til tomorrow
just recently changed my oil to synthetic (2nd oil change...1st one was regular)
looking forward to this for my 3rd oil change!
thx for post!

Old 11-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i'm a newb at this...only thing I can tell from the TBN is running synthetic oil just allows you to go longer intervals. Given a fixed oil change interval, synthetic doesn't seem to do much in terms of added extra protection. goes to show those who go to synthetic and still insist on changing every 3000 miles are wasting money.

your iron and lead levels dropped, which is good, but the spike in sodium should be of concern, unless of course you are using some type of additive. i assume you are since it is such a huge jump from previous samples.

the moly is just additives different companies add to their oil, right? that would explain the difference in your numbers.

that's all that i can interpret from your oil (having my own oil analysis reports to go off does help )

i wish my performance shop had grabbed the sample as i had asked prior to forced induction. would have given me a really good idea on the status of my engine and a point of comparison for future analysis.

keep up the work chinee...you are the one who got me into doing my own oil analysis.

Old 11-11-2005, 04:58 AM
<-- n00b as well... So, according to the chart, which is the best oil?

Old 11-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Ha! I'm more of a noob (at this site anyway...) than you are! Anyway, I don't think you can tell which is better, at least for chinee, at this time. He and I are both BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com) members and we've both posted our G35/VQ35 UOAs over there. What's interesting about them is to see how they contrast. In my case, I've had outstanding results with German Castrol (synthethic) while for chinee, his syn results have been much more of a mixed blessing.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I need a lot of help too trying to interpret what this means as fas an oil choice goes.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
There's a lot going on, but here are a few basics: iron is pretty obvious, it usually reflects wear from iron or steel parts (crank, cyl liners, etc.) or it may also be from corrosion of those parts. Some oils come with a few ppm of iron in them from the refinery. Chromium is usually from the piston rings. Lead, tin, and sometimes aluminum are found in the bearings. Moly can be tricky as sometimes it's used to coat engine parts and sometimes it's an oil additive. Zinc, phos, calcium, boron are common oil additives. Potassium and sodium, showing up together in more than trace amounts is a strong indicator of coolant leaked into the oil. Insolubles are things like oxidized oil and soot that accumulate in oil. There is obviously a lot to this, and I've just scratched the surface. The best place to study this, that I've found is again, BITOG. For me anyway, it's fun to track UOAs and refine my maintenance routine to keep my car as clean and healthy as possible.

Old 11-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drsifu1
i'm a newb at this...only thing I can tell from the TBN is running synthetic oil just allows you to go longer intervals. Given a fixed oil change interval, synthetic doesn't seem to do much in terms of added extra protection. goes to show those who go to synthetic and still insist on changing every 3000 miles are wasting money.

your iron and lead levels dropped, which is good, but the spike in sodium should be of concern, unless of course you are using some type of additive. i assume you are since it is such a huge jump from previous samples.

the moly is just additives different companies add to their oil, right? that would explain the difference in your numbers.

that's all that i can interpret from your oil (having my own oil analysis reports to go off does help )

i wish my performance shop had grabbed the sample as i had asked prior to forced induction. would have given me a really good idea on the status of my engine and a point of comparison for future analysis.

keep up the work chinee...you are the one who got me into doing my own oil analysis.
polk summed it up pretty nicely, and here's a few more pointers to help you understand the analysis report.

- The oil drain intervals differ.. one way to compare is ppm (parts per million) per 1,000 miles, or compare those reports with similar mileage on the oils.
- The new Mobil Clean formulations, 5000 and 7500 both contain a significant amount of sodium as an additive. Most other oil formulations do not contain sodium, and the presence of this metal typically indicates a coolant leak, but with the new MC formulations, that's not the case.
- TBN.. total base number. Not sure what this measures, but it is used as an indication of an oil's useful life. You would want to change the oil if the TBN drops below 1.0, or if the wear metals are too high.
- Moly is an additive to aid in lubrication and protection.

There is no flat-out best oil. The best oil is the one that lubicates and protects the best in your engine. Mobil1 reports are usually very solid in the VQ, with my situation being the exception rather than the rule.

By the way, I've added the following link above to the bobistheoilguy thread. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=3;t=003031

Last edited by chinee; 11-11-2005 at 06:42 PM.