Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Just purchased the Autoenginuity OBDII w/ Nissan enhanced.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
One could monitor the 02s to see what voltages they are putting out. Plus it can monitor the actual a/f ratios also. Maybe the 02s aren't positioned the same, allowing them to send wrong signal to the ecu = rich condition. Not sure how this is related to the oil consumption. I'd put the factory cats back in and see if the problem clears up.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was my first thought too, but he didn't save the converters. He left them at the dealer and I'll bet someone grabbed them and sold them. That was about three weeks ago.

Would you have to monitor the O2 sensors in a stock G35 and then compare them to this particular G35, or could you just monitor the G35 with the problem and see that it doesn't follow a "standard" curve or something?

So this device would save having to make dyno pulls to check out the A/F ratio?

And this device will reset the ECU without having to do the gas pedal presses and other 12-step procedure?

Old 06-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Well he could monitor the a/f and see if it's out of whack from the ratios being discussed in this site. Since tuners often tune down to about 12:1, I would imagine a super rich a/f would be 10:1 or lower.

I do believe it can handle ecu resets. It can do DTC resets.

Or he can compare with someone else that's datalogged their 02 voltages/ a/f ratios. But finding one would be hard.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Hey _jb. I'd love to bring this out for a mini meet. Dan and I re going to catch up pretty soon to ret his timing for the nitrous system.

As Jeff mentioned voltage output would give you a good indication of testing lean or rich conditon.

My concern would be, as a novice I mind you, that he may already have damaged the O2 sensors if he is buring a lot of oil. The oil ash build up would skew the readings and may not be valid at this point.

I would love to get together with the Tampa folks oer his car and test and learn. I have access to some great knowledge resources which might help us come to a conclusion.

All there is is air and opportunity and we can burn up the air. Find out if he wants to spend some time on this and I will try to make my calendar fit the situation.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by _jb
That was my first thought too, but he didn't save the converters. He left them at the dealer and I'll bet someone grabbed them and sold them. That was about three weeks ago.

Would you have to monitor the O2 sensors in a stock G35 and then compare them to this particular G35, or could you just monitor the G35 with the problem and see that it doesn't follow a "standard" curve or something?

So this device would save having to make dyno pulls to check out the A/F ratio?

And this device will reset the ECU without having to do the gas pedal presses and other 12-step procedure?

there is an ecu reset routine in the enhanced powertrain codes.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:02 PM
I wonder if the higher velocity exhaust is creating more of a vaccum out of the pcv resulting in more oil being sucked up into the plenum.

maybe bad rings and the oil is bypassing them.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Lube system flow chart.

Attached Thumbnails Just purchased the Autoenginuity OBDII w/ Nissan enhanced.-lube.sys.flow.chrt.jpg  
Old 06-13-2006, 07:37 PM
after reading pcv operation I would be willing to bet that it is not cutting out the blow by valve like it should when at idle or low loads. Other options would be the rings, too much oil, oil too thin and other mechanical issues.

I really cannot see any other way the new exhaust system would be causing this to occur but I am an IT not a ASE mechanic.

Last edited by Foo_G; 06-13-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM
reading from this http://www.carcarecouncil.org/Engine...ase_vent.shtml and many other articles I would think a constantly closed or open pcv would introduce excessive oil into the combustion process. I am placing my money on either a bad pcv or the balance of the crankcase ventilation is being usurped by some non oem component.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:55 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Foo_G
Hey _jb. I'd love to bring this out for a mini meet. Dan and I re going to catch up pretty soon to ret his timing for the nitrous system.
Cool!

Why don't you think of a date and time that would be good for you. You'd be the one doing everyone the favor by bringing your equipment, you should get to select the time and place.

As Jeff mentioned voltage output would give you a good indication of testing lean or rich conditon.

My concern would be, as a novice I mind you, that he may already have damaged the O2 sensors if he is buring a lot of oil. The oil ash build up would skew the readings and may not be valid at this point.
I wonder if you could clean off the o2 sensor with some mineral spirits or gasoline? I have to say that I am not very knowledgable about the environmental controls and ECU systems in modern cars. I used to race a simple small block Chevy, so I'm good on engine, trans, and rear ends, but that's about it. My main interest in this system is to learn how some of this stuff actually works.

I don't want to put you on the spot about analyzing Ben's car. We can just announce the Mini-Meet and see how it goes. I know Ben doesn't get too involved with working on his car.

I would love to get together with the Tampa folks oer his car and test and learn. I have access to some great knowledge resources which might help us come to a conclusion.
Sounds good. Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit. Let me know on the date and place.

We should probably give everyone a few weeks notice. I made the last meet quick because I wanted to see Ben's exhaust and I think some people might have missed the notification.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I will start a thread in the FGC public forum. No worries on the thread issue as it is was nice to speak about how this tool can benefit owner ofthe G or anyother car.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:06 PM
_jb
Photographer

I wonder if the higher velocity exhaust is creating more of a vaccum out of the pcv resulting in more oil being sucked up into the plenum.
This is exactly what some people are speculating! Ben said that he saw blue smoke coming out of his exhaust when he first had the pipes installed. Blue smoke is oil.

maybe bad rings and the oil is bypassing them.
That's possible, but his G35 is an almost new 2006 and it didn't do it before he installed the test pipes and exhaust.

Mechanically, there seems like only two options that could cause this to happen... either the oil is pushing past the rings (as your mention) or it is being sucked down between the valve stems and the cylinder head. Both of these options would seem to be associated with wear.

I think the PCV option is more likely. I know PCV stands for Positive Cranckase Ventilation, but I'm not exactly sure how it works.

When I used to race, I used to run some tubing from the valve covers to the header collector to create a negative pressure in the crankcase and theoretically make the pistons go up and down more freely. Maybe PCV is something like this?

Old 06-14-2006, 02:08 PM
_jb
Photographer

I will start a thread in the FGC public forum. No worries on the thread issue as it is was nice to speak about how this tool can benefit owner ofthe G or anyother car.
Good idea. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Hey guys

I have been away for a while due to a job change and recently caught with Mr. Horak via email again while registering the software on my new laptop and he had the following to say about the Nissan Infiniti OE codes.

Hey, did you see I sent you 4.3. It ahs full CAN BCM (including configuration settings). Also, we finalized the software for Nissan connections. Very much an improvement. Let your friends on the forum know this is available for beta testing. We release Aug 24th

• Added support for the Almera, Micra, Note, Patrol, Primera, Navara, Terrano, Versa models

• Added Self-Learn Control and Idle Air Volume Learn support

• Added CAN BCM support; including work support for Door Lock Unlock Set, Anti-LockOut Set, Horn Chirp

Set, Hazard Lamp Set, Multi-Answer Back Set, Auto-Lock Se, Panic Alarm Set, Trunk Open Set, Power Window

Down Set, Battery Saver Set, Custom Light Setting, Illumination Delay Set, Wiper Speed Setting, Reset

Setting Value, Room Lamp Timer Set, Security Alarm Set, Theft Alarm Trigger Erase)

• Improved CAN data rates by caching multi-packet responses

• Fixed Throttle Sensor 1 and 2 not working

• Fixed Accelerator Sensor 1 and 2 not working

• Fixed 4WD system Battery voltage sensor reporting incorrectly

I would like to add a thanks to Jay Horak for answering emails even on a Sunday afternoon. If you are thinking about investing in a scantool I implore you to check his product out. I have not been let down by him or his product yet and I have been a user for a long time now.

enjoy your sunday.

-nmp

Old 07-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Also, if you have the scantool already and want to test the latest build go to this link and DL the application.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/dloads/...antool_exe.zip

Just rename your current scantool.exe to scantool.old and save this new file in the same directory.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just purchased the Autoenginuity OBDII w/ Nissan enhanced.