FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Hyper-Ground Kit-Experiences, Feedback, Etc.

I clarified with one of my potential 'customers' by PM today with the following response:

<font color=blue>My intention is not to drum up business for myself. I'm a psychotherapist and am building these kits as a hobby for the benefit of fellow car enthusiasts. In fact, if the demand got overwhelming, I'd have to charge more to compensate for my time. I don't mind doing the kits as a sideline for now, as I believe that this mod, for nominal cost, not only looks cool, but actually WORKS. It's also kinda cool that my handi-work is getting into cars across North America. It doesn't matter to me whether ppl buy from me, make their own, or pay more somewhere else. I've actually only sold and delivered 5 sets so far, and that's kept me busy enough. It takes a couple of hours to build and assemble each kit. It's mainly for the feedback on the forum thread that I'm after. That's why I've provided the links to other sources as well. I can't believe that ppl spend up to $150 for things like clear-corners, aluminum pedals, etc. and don't do this simple and relatively cost effective mod.
So point out the thread (on your forum) and feel free to link them to the thread and its pictures, and post your own experiences.</font color=blue>

To All: please fell free to continue to PM me with your questions re Hyper-Grounds and I will continue to act as a resource, and will continue to make Kits available to those that ask on a limited basis for a reasonable price.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 06-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, connecting the wire to the tranny is not hard once you can get under the car.

Regarding the battery - I did put the lug under the square bolt head on the battery clamp. I ground it to be the same width as the bolt head, and if fits under, nice and clean.

BTW - still no funny shifting. Great!

Mark
2003 G35s TB/Willow/Signal Mirrors/Tint/Ground
1997 Maxima

Old 06-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

I agree that once you are under the car, finding the grounding point isn't that difficult. I believe that the full length ground would derive the most potential benefits as well. Some however, are leery of getting under their cars, and I have recently been considering offering the short tranny tube ground for them. I wonder if the tranny shifting benefits that you notice are still applicable with the short ground?

Old 06-10-2003, 12:39 PM

dang.. i guess i'm a small guy cuz i can fit under the car w/o having to jack it up.

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 06-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More like SKINNY. Some of us used to be like you.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Administrator

With 5.5" ground clearance, HOW? I don't think I can even get my head under there to take a look! Maybe I just have a fat head![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, FatHead![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 09:15 PM

Here are some pics of the battery terminal. See how the lug fits nicely under the square bolt head.

Mark
2003 G35s TB/Willow/Signal Mirrors/Tint/Ground
1997 Maxima

61743-IMG_0329b.JPG

Old 06-11-2003, 08:38 AM

Hi all...first post on this thread.

I've been considering the grounding kit for some time. I was about to buy one from someone on another forum, but he never responded to my PM's...so I just figured I might try and make my own...

A few quick questions:
1) I noticed on the instructions posted in jpeg format, that longer bolts are called for. Does anyone know what size these bolts are? Can I get them at like Home Depot? Or should I go to an auto store?
2) How much does a crimper for a 4 guage wire cost and where can I get one?
3) What size crimp-on terminals should I use? I know one for a 4 guage wire, but is there a hole size?

It may just turn out to be cheaper to buy a kit, as I see I need ~13 feet of cable at atleast $4/foot, that's $52, not counting shrink-tubing, terminals, or crimper...

G35 Coupe, 6MT, DG, Prem.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Nas4a:

The replacement bolts are metric- M6 x 16. You'll also want a couple of brass or copper washers. Home Depot may have them, and some auto parts do.
The crimper for 4 g isn't cheap.
Use 4 guage terminal lugs, the hole size doesn't really matter. I prefer a larger hole size as it allows you to manipulate the wires a bit for best positioning, especially where multi-wires are connected.

I am doing the 5-Wire kit for VERY close to your $52 and I include instructions, bolts, washers, wire ties, etc. The only thing I ask is that you post your feedback on this thread. Let me know if you're interested.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid about $25 bucks at Home Depot for my crimper.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:09 AM

Im intrested . Alot of other people tell me there is no wa this will affect anything. I like to prove people wrong though so id like to give it a shot. Do you plan on making a 10 wir kit also?
jut curious.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Not at this point. I'm thinking of experimenting with an 8th wire to the ECU, but not sure when I'll have time. The jury's still out for #s 6 & 7, but from feedback so far, seems to improve shifting with the automatic.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:22 PM

When are you going to start selling yours?

Old 06-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Administrator

I'm presently doing 5 and 7 wire kits in limited quantities. So far the feedback has been very positive in terms of noticeable performance benefits. It seems that the "sweet spot" so far is 5-wire for both auto and manual trannies, and some improvements doing 7-wires for auto.
Undecided right now about doing 8-10 wire kits as I'm uncertain about the benefits.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread