FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Exactly...I did NOT disconnect the battery for even 2 seconds while installing this mod. I had however tried the battery disconnect kit a couple weeks before installing the kit and while there was a small difference in when the car would shift...it did not affect smoothness or crispness of shifting or manumatic shifting or the nice hum from the engine.

Old 06-23-2003, 07:21 PM
Re: Cable Issues

"I was running low on my SCOSCHE cable in red and my source was trying to sell me STINGER brand at about the same price, as he was also running low. I did some quick research, and discovered that the high temperature rating of the STINGER brand cable is only 140 degrees F, vs. 221 F for the SCOSCHE cable (oil resistance 140)! It does go lower though, at -40 F as opposed to -22 F. He told me that there is a lot of variance between brands, and the suitability depends on the application. So those of you looking at making your own cables, be aware that some brands of wire may not hold up well in the long run. One of the guys on my350z.com has complained that his clear cables have turned brown after only a few months. I'm hoping his was a different brand, not SCOSCHE."

I made my 5 wire kit out of 4 gauge clear Stinger wire I had left over from my stereo install (I purposely bought extra just so I could make the kit. I was kinda worried about the heat but I've had it in my G for about 3 months and no problems to date in terms of melting, yellowing, etc., even on close to 100 degree days. It'll do the trick at $1.25 a foot. http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant....tegory_Code=PW

Old 06-23-2003, 09:57 PM

I did not disconnect my battery, and noticed the smoothness and better shifting.

Mark
2003 G35s TB/Willow/Signal Mirrors/Tint/Ground
1997 Maxima

Old 06-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Re: Cable Issues

how hot can the engine compartment actually get?

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 06-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just took the Infiniti dealer GM for a ride today. Told him I have no idea whether he would feel the differences or not. He said, 'Don't worry, I'm trained to notice, and I'll tell you if there's nothing."

Anyway, he did not notice any difference in the sound of the exhaust that others have reported. Looked at my mileage and factored in break-in effects, etc., as he <font color=blue>DID notice a substantial improvement in engine response and acceleration! (maybe his butt dyno is better calibrated than mine) Also definitely noticed the improvement in engine smoothness, and shifting.

He was impressed enough to ask me to do a kit for his Frontier and his wife's coming G35. Also he offered to sell my kits through the dealer for a significant amount more than I have been charging so far.</font color=blue> He said, "You're charging way too little!" Not sure how much time I want to spend with this, so I have mixed feelings. For now, I'll see how it goes, and I'll continue to do (limited) kits for the forum members at the same price unless it ends up taking too much of my time. Whether you get the kits from me, or one of the other sources, please continue to post your feedback on this thread. It's great that someone else is now offering what I hope turns out to be a good quality kit at a reasonable price.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 06-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Administrator

That last post made it 9999 on the tech forum. Thought I'd push us over to 10,000 and this thread to 200![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2003, 07:00 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gord,

Glad it was you who got the honor of making #200!
Keep it up dude.

Cato

God I love this car!

Old 06-27-2003, 07:40 AM

i can't believe how long this thread is... it's gonna give our other off topic thread a run for its money.

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 06-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Yeah, keep it coming! I'm hoping this thread provides a bit more useful information as well!

BTW, I spoke with SCOSCHE, and they told me that because of the under-hood environment, even though the cable jackets are designed to resist the heat and chemicals, the clear (or any other colour) can change colour somewhat over time. This is more noticeable of course with the clear jackets and they assured me that it should not affect the function nor durability of the cables. He said an issue of greater concern is sealing the ends of the cables against O2 to prevent oxidation of the wire strands themselves. This is one of the reasons that I chose to use the more expensive type of solid copper terminal, and have always sealed the jacket-terminal gap with sealant. Those of you that have other kits might consider applying dialectric grease or something to the exposed strands of wire where they are joined to the lugs. It probably won't be much of an issue for several years anyway. I noticed that my old Monster audio speaker wire has oxidized under the jackets through O2 infiltration from the ends.

Old 06-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. I think that I may consider grinding down the terminal lug that goes to the battery based on everyone's feedback though it's not strictly necessary, but I'm a bit obssesive anyway[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]. Most kits don't include pictures to help the install and the written instructions are usually very cryptic and difficult to decipher. I had this problem with my own (1st) install that took me quite a long time and several visits to the pictures on my350z.com![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img](My thanks to those guys over there)
The labelled picture that I include shows all the ground points except the tranny and the left chassis ground point (under the hood sensor bracket assembly). I'm not sure if a picture would make it significantly clearer, but I'm open to further feedback. The pic that I posted earlier on this thread with the tranny ground point illustrates this as it's difficult with a closeup to get a true perspective of where things are.

BTW for those of you that have already installed your kits(mine and others), I checked with the Nissan/Infiniti tech about the bolt at the right-rear of the intake manifold(plenum). It is a sandwich bolt that is one of the several that holds the upper and lower parts of the plenum together. I asked him to check the torque recommendation for me as this bolt is at least partially structural. It should ideally be torqued to about 9-10 ft-lbs.

To post a picture, reduce the size of your jpeg to less than 100 kb (70 -90 works well) and attach it to you post.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:46 PM

Got my kit from GG yesterday and put it on last night. I have definitely become a believer in what has been said on this thread. HOLY COW did I notice a difference!

I spent about 30 minutes before putting it on driving the G around making mental notes of a "before" picture. It took me about 1.5 hours to do it, and it was pretty easy. The only difficult wire was the tranny. After the install I took the same route as before. Man, what a change! Everything mentioned here is what I experienced. I noticed the most how well the engine reacted and sounded, and how the 5A/T tranny shifted. I'm taking a trip to Dallas from Peoria next week, so we'll see if MPG improves as well.

GG's kit is very well built. Definitely top notch and quality workmanship. I would recommend this mod to everyone! His directions were easy to follow, and with the help of his pic and the pics on this thread, it made the install easy.

A huge thanks to GG for his kit and help, and to everyone who posted on this thread!

GET A KIT!

Regards,

JC

Old 06-30-2003, 11:36 AM

got the 7-wire short tranny kit from GG on Saturday, since I was not using my G35 on that day and planed install the kit on Sunday, I decided to disconnect the battery for 12 hours.
After the instllation and test drive, I was amazed how differently the car runs, the engin revs much quicker, 5AT shifts quicker too. I always complained about the G35's low rpm (~2000 rpm at 40 m/h) engine loudness and lack of power. with this kit, the problem is much reduced. I'm not sure the improvement was contributed by ECU reset or the ground kits. but who cares, I'm happy with the results. Gord's kit is well made and easy to install, just make sure don't loose the battery's terminal bolt nut as I did.

Silver/Graphite/Premium/Sports/Winter

Old 06-30-2003, 12:23 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

My impressions......6MT g35 coupe:

I had recently purchased Happy's grounding wires of which i paid only $40. I must make this clear that Happy only sells wires, so it did not come with instructions nor extra bolts.

I installed the kit on Friday, took about 2 hours because of the lack of good directions. If i had to do it again, it would take me 5 minutes to install it. Its that easy now.

I took out the G for a short drive on Friday night and I noticed a tiny bit of smoothness improvement, engine-wise.

What boggles my mind is that yesterday, my brother was driving my car, and he commented on how smooth the car feels, and how quickly and smoothly the shifter feels now. I did not even tell him about the grounding wires yet!

Another improvement that I've noticed is the ability to squeal the tires from the 2-3 shift!!!!!!! Its so easy to do now!

Conclusion: Go get yourself some $40 grounding wires from Happy (i cant seem to find his thread on here).

Improvements: Faster shifting (6MT), ability to chirp the tires from 2-3 upshift, noticibally smoother engine response.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 06-30-2003, 12:26 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

here's a pic from Friday night
Yesterday i went back and actually drilled a small hole in the rubber piece by the battery compartment so i fed the wire thru there so that it looks very nice and professional
I also put some blue threadlock on most of the bolts.
I dont have a pic of it yet
Also, the front grounding point I have there is wrong, its supposed to go in the hole just left of that, ill post another pic of the stock engine

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

69205-DSC00036.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread