FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2003 | 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Ok, I've been wondering about the two front ground points on the engine...and whether it's best to use only one of them or not. I think I've decided to put 2 ground wires on each, instead of all on the one of them. I got the list of what each factory ground wire attached there actually grounds and it's important stuff.

Here is the list of what each one grounds:
LEFT
Data link connector
Camshaft position sensors
Oxygen sensors
Electronic Throttle Control
ECM - Engine Control Module - 5 points
TCM - Transmission Control Module

RIGHT
Ignition Coil
Condenser
ECM - 3 points

I figure if I only put the new ground wires on the left, I am missing the AC condenser and some of the ECM grounds. They will still have to flow through the factory ground wire (much less conductive) and then into the left ground wire I installed. I figure it's better to directly ground each side into the new wires. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Old 07-09-2003 | 12:02 AM
|
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info! It actually makes more sense to me to have everything ground to one bolt, that way you are ensuring a continuous clean flow of information throughout the Hyper-Ground system and to the various electrical components of the car. I haven't checked, are either or both of the factory ground wires long enough to reach the other ground bolt?

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 07-09-2003 | 06:47 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Staff Alumni
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my GG Grounding kit and installed it yesterday. It is a red 7 wire
beauty. Looks great on the Twilight Blue Sedan. Quality of the kit is
top notch professional! When I got to the 4 wires at the fron of the
engine, I also thought it might be easier to put just 2 ground wires
to each ground point rather than all 4 to the right one. Installation
was about as difficult as expected. The transmission bolt was hair
raising, what with my body between the wheel and garage floor!
It would have been easier to remove the wheel, safer also.
There is a mistake in the instructions that threw me for a minute.
Gordan says to attach wires #6 and #7 to the back engine bolt.
Actually #6 goes from the front, under the air intake pipe and attaches
to the right strut ground point. The #6 should have been #4.
Got all the wires attached. After all the difficulty of getting to these
ground bolts, I thought it would have been easier to install if the
connectors at the ends of each wire were open. All you would then
need to do is loosen the "Hard as hell to get to " bolts, slip the ground
connector in and tighten. By taking each bold completly off, you run
the HUGE risk of dropping the bolt down into some place that does
not return things. Driving impressions: shifts faster. gas gauge seems
to behave better, by that I mean it has not nosedived past half way
at 150 miles. Hope this means better miles/gal. Hauls *** in a
big way! Next mod: 350Z intake pipe, ordered it yesterday.

Thanks Gordon!

God I love this car!

Old 07-09-2003 | 11:40 AM
|
Administrator

Cato:

Thanks for pointing out the typo![img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img] This will be corrected. Yes, it might be easier if the lugs were open at the ends as many ppl report that they have dropped bolts. Finding a source for terminal lugs of that design and of good quality may be difficult. Cutting or grinding off the end would be an option for the end user, however this may compromise the integrity of the lug. As I've said before, I'm a bit obsessive when I put these things together and don't want to make any compromises![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] This is why I won't change to gold plated lugs though I've been asked (even though they can be cheaper for me) as I haven't found any yet that effectively seal the cable strands and can't find much core metal composition info. I've always believed that what you can't see is as (or more) important as what you do see.

Rather than splitting the ground points at the front of the engine, I think that I will actually try grounding all the wires to a single point as posted above. Not sure if it'll make any difference or not, but it makes sense to me.

Old 07-09-2003 | 11:49 AM

I agree with you about the connector, using spear terminals may be easier to connect to gounding point, specially for the point to battery.

Silver/Graphite/Premium/Sports/Winter

Old 07-10-2003 | 01:05 AM

I agree with cato's observation 100% as I just finished installing the grounding kit from GG tonight.

Some of these bolts are really hard to get to... It took me about half an hour just to remove the bolts at the front left corner of the engine bay. Also, be really careful while tightening the bolts back on... as I cross threaded one of the bolt during the process which forced me to move the grounding point of wire #4 and #7 to a bolt which is just beside the one that GG indicated in his instruction. I hope this doesn't change anything... =P

Also, I think the #7 cable can be another 2 inch or so longer, as I need to stretch the cable a bit to reach down there...

My observation after installation: To be honest, I didn't notice any differnce afterward. However, I only drove it for around 15 minute around the neihborhood, so I will report more info if I notice anything down the road.

Again, thanks to GG for providing a good kit at a fair price!

Old 07-10-2003 | 06:55 AM
Staff Alumni

I honestly did not notice any difference on my first test drive with the
GG grounding kit installed. Now I'm starting to notice some thing I
really like! When I'm not under acceleration (seldom) the engine
is so quiet that it sounds like it is turned off. The gas gague definitly
operates better and I do believe when I'm under full throttle (warp 10)
the enging sings beautifully smoother.

God I love this car!

Old 07-11-2003 | 08:16 PM
|
Administrator

Skyline_Sdn:

Hopefully you'll notice some of the same benefits to the Earthing kits as the rest of us here. I can't imagine that your G should respond any different. Maybe when you've driven for a while. For me, the most definitive difference was with the smoothness of the engine throughout the rev range, and especially at the higher RPMs, less 'buzziness'. I'm not sure about the increased power, but the Infiniti dealer' GM felt it through his 'butt dyno' enough to order several sets, including 1 or 2 for his own vehicles. If nothing else, at least they look cool and may benefit you more after you do future mods which some of the magazines report.

I'm debating about lengthening the #7 cable as I've only heard 2 comments about the length. I'd like to keep it at a workable minimum if possible, but I'll make it to the length that ppl want after more feedback.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 07-11-2003 | 10:01 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Hey guys, i have noticed that my engine sounds different at the upper RPM's.....im not sure if its smoother or what, but its sure different, a different kind of buzzing occurs, im not sure if its smoother, but DIFFERENT, heh. Maybe i should try removing the cables.....nah too much work LOL...
ill take your word for it GG [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 07-15-2003 | 01:02 AM
|
Administrator

<font color=blue>Photograph © 2003 GroundingGear Ltd. Reproduction and distribution prohibited without prior written consent. </font color=blue>

Just did my first Honda! A CIVIC Si (EX for you Americans). Took a short ride around the neighbourhood. So far, he says that it's much smoother and quieter at idle. Loves the response with the A/C on as it used to bog the engine so much he'd usually drive with it off. Smoother rev'ing through the range. He'll give me further impressions in a few days as well as do a couple of dyno runs. Said so far, much more improvement than he had with his CAI.

73875-2002 Civic Si D17A2 002.JPG

Old 07-15-2003 | 04:20 PM
|
Administrator

I've had several inquiries re. why I don't take Paypal. I thought I'd just post my response here so I don't have to reply to individual PMs.

<font color=blue> Please make sure the MO is Internationally negotiable! I ran into 2 problems (recently) and had to send back MOs that read "Negotiable in the US ONLY".

Obviously, you're not the first to ask why I don't take Paypal! About Paypal, I believe they charge a percentage to the recipient and I don't want to pass that on to you. Also my brother-in -law who does some E-Bay selling of collector's cards has had a problem with Paypal on occasion. The biggest reason is that I want to keep this a hobby, rather than a business. I suspect that I'd have more business than I can currently handle if it became too easy to pay me. I've turned some business over to other sources including z-xtreme.com for those that need a 'quicker fix', as that's not really what I'm about. Besides, [b]when you PM me that you've sent the MO, it gives me 4-5 days to make up the set, ready for shipping by the time it arrives. This allows me time to remain obsessive about how I put these things together rather than to rush to fill orders. I really only do a limited number of these things and take pride in everyone![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2003 | 05:47 PM

GG you're da man! quality is always better than quantity. BTW, my Altima feels smooth even when the AC on.

Old 07-15-2003 | 06:52 PM
|
Administrator

Just got a call from the GM at the Infiniti Dealer. The guy who put my kit on his super charged Frontier was impressed enough that he wants me to do a kit for his Pathfinder! I'm going to ask for some more definitive feedback, but the GM says he thinks the Frontier has a bit more power, shifts better, and the engine's more responsive. 2 more Frontier owners in the wings, and the salesman wants me to do his 300Z.

Wooish, what else have you noticed on your Altima that's changed with the Kit now that you've had it for 2 weeks?

Old 07-16-2003 | 07:48 AM
Staff Alumni

Gordan,

Now that the GG grounding kit has been on for 2 tanks of gas, I can
definitly state the fuel gague now read consistently. This is a big
improvement for me, my previous car was a 93 Altima and it's fuel
gague was erratic. I hated the fuel gague in it and I was beginning
to think the G35's was the same way. Love the smoothness in
acceleration. Slow driving response is sooooo much better, due
the the 7th transmission wire? Got to upgrade my wife's
2000 Maxima! Do you make kits for the Max? Love my GG grounding!

Thanks Gord!

God I love this car!

Old 07-16-2003 | 08:04 AM

With all the positive feedback the improved grounding gives about the general feel of a car...it AMAZES me that the luxo car brands don't do this from the factory to improve ride quality, etc of their vehicles. Even if they made every grounding wire as large as these kits, with the quantity they would be buying, it would only increase the base car cost by a couple hundred bucks. It would be such an easy thing to do for them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread