FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Hey Gord, where are you experimenting the 8th wire from and to?

Old 07-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a new picture of my engine bay. Those of you with sharp eyes will be able to see the 8th wire.

My original set is going into the Infiniti Dealer General Manager's 350Z Track Model today. BTW, he said he spoke with Steve Stillen who told him that their new Hyper-Ground system dynos a HP increase of 14 HP! Kinda hard to believe. Just think, if Stillen can get 14 HP using 8 ga. mass-produced wires, we must get an REALLY unbelieveable amount from our 4 ga. kits! (Again, my skeptical side shows!

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

77561-G35, 21-Jul-03 001.JPG

Old 07-23-2003, 03:28 PM

Gord:
If you could do what brooch asked, that would be awesome. This thread is huge, and it would be better if we could go to one spot for instructions, information that was kept updated.
Thanks in advance!!

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged

Old 07-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Administrator

I'll try to take some time and slowly start a thread on FAQs/DIY this W/E. I'd still like all members to post their feedback on this thread as I believe it's a valuable read. I have been told that ppl now come to this thread, G35 Drivers and others, for a source of feedback from those that have actually installed Hyper-Ground kits. I know that some short threads have been started on FA and other forums, only to be flamed or shot down by disbelievers (virtually all have never actually installed nor tried a high quality H-G system). So far, that hasn't happened much here. You guys and gals have been great so far in providing productive and honest feedback.

Old 07-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Administrator

<font color=blue>Photograph © 2003 GroundingGear Ltd. Reproduction and distribution prohibited without prior written consent. </font color=blue>

Got back earlier today from the Infiniti dealer. Did the General Manager's 6MT Track Model 350Z with my original set of Hyper-Grounds I did for my G. He wanted the Clear SCOSCHE cable which I no longer use. At least it went to a good home, and he'll give me some driving impressions in a few days. He really liked what the GroundingGear did for the G35.

Man, it's quite a bit more cramped for space when doing the Z. Even the engine cover is harder to remove because the strut brace is directly over one bolt and partially over the other. #6 wire is very dificult to attach as well.

77799-Rick's 350Z.JPG

Old 07-24-2003, 12:52 PM

I installed five 0 gauge wires in my Sedan about 5 months ago and have noticed a slight increase in gas mileage. I used to get about 260 miles on a tank and now I'm getting about 280 after the wires. Can't really say if it helped with hp increase, but the engine does run a little smoother. Will post pics if anyone's interested in viewing it.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:07 PM

"...BTW, he said he spoke with Steve Stillen who told him that their new Hyper-Ground system dynos a HP increase of 14 HP!..."

That's too bad that Stillen makes this claim. It makes me wonder how exaggerated all of their other HP-increase claims are. I personally am not going to buy products from a company who condones false advertising.

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded

Old 07-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Administrator

<font color=blue>Photograph © 2003 GroundingGear Ltd. Reproduction and distribution prohibited without prior written consent. </font color=blue>

Masetodd:

I'm not sure if Stillen advertises this. This is what the GM told me he was told by Stillen.

BTW, I also grounded one of the Infiniti salesman's '91 300ZX. Waiting for his impressions today.

78057-23-Jul-03 002.JPG

Old 07-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Administrator

By s-type, I'm assuming you're referring to Sun Auto's(?) generic kit for small engines. I usually only do custom length kits, and only in limited quantities if I have the time, and for feedback. A kit for a new application is VERY time consuming on my part, and I'm not sure if you really want to wait that long as we'd need to also determine grounding points. PM me for more details.

I'll certainly help you out with information at least, even if you do a generic kit.

Regardless, if you do install a kit, please post your impressions here on the thread.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Well, the feedback from Warren with the 300ZX, basically his words:

"Amazingly, I noticed a difference by the time I got to the end of the parking lot! I noticed the change all the way home. Smoother, and more responsive. Then my wife drove it not knowing I'd done anything to the car and asked me later why the car feels 'more solid' to drive! Then, the next day, after my wife drove it, I didn't notice anything anymore. I'm wondering if I just got used to it or it's because the ECU adapted to my wife's driving?"

Anyway, the Sales Manager now has me doing his '90 300ZX, and he describes himself to be the dealer skeptic.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 09:51 PM

OK, I finally did it. I made and installed a grounding system into my G35 Sedan. I was curious if there was really any reduction in vibration after the grounding like several people have stated. So, I went so far as to perform a little experiment. I mounted a camcorder under the hood aimed at a target on the wall. I then filmed while starting the car, running it at idle, 2K, 3K, 4K, and 5K rpm. I then installed the grounding system and did it again. I know I know, I'm one of those geeky EE's and like to test things ;-)

After doing this, I wish I had done it a little differently. I mounted the camera to the wheel well. I should have mounted it to the engine. Mounting to the wheel well put the engine mounts into the equation and dampend out some of the engine vibration. If it had been mounted to the engine, the actual engine vibration would have been seen.

If you watch the video, you will see that the differences are suptle. However, they are there. What you should look at is the movement of the target pattern with respect to the text on the screen. The text is stationary. You will notice that I move around a little. This is noticeble as larger camera movements. What you should look for is the high speed vibrations. You can easily tell the difference.

Anyway, I have posted the video here:

http://homepage.mac.com/jormsby/iMovieTheater5.html

When you go there, the movie will start to play. I recommend stopping it until it completely downloads.

Got any questions, let me know.

John

Lovin' my G

Old 07-31-2003, 12:19 PM

Hey Gordgee,

After looking under the car for 15 minutes or so, I couldn't find the location to ground the 7th wire. Even though the direction says that it's on the tranny housing, I still couldn't find it. Where exactly is it?

Old 07-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Administrator

John:

Good work with the video. Interesting experiment. I didn't expect to see any actual vibration differences, so even the subtle ones are striking! Why the differences in sound? Different mike techniques or location?

dkle99:

I'm assuming this is Happie's, or z-xtreme's kit. A 27" length is almost perfect to the ground point on the tranny with a bit of play. I tried 29" as 2 ppl sugested, but I found the length a bit sloppy and more likely to contact the exhaust. As to the mounting location, from my install instructions:
"Run the 27” (#7) cable straight down to the transmission housing. Use jack-stands or a ramp before getting under your car! There is a strip clamp holding a wire loom that is held on by a bolt. Attach the cable under that bolt."

Hope this helps. Please post your impressions when you get the chance. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread