FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 12:36 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

stock engine pic, as you can see, the stock grounding point is JUST to the left of where i installed mine. I will be moving it to the correct spot.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

69208-DSC00022 copy.jpg

Old 06-30-2003, 03:30 PM

I saw 2 stock grounding points go to 2 side-by-side holes on the front of engine, I connected GG kits to these 2 points, 2 wires from left and 2 wires from right, Is this correct way?
for the wire goes into battery compartment, I used utility knife to penetrate the rubber grommet, then stick the wire through the cut and pull the wire from the other side, easy to do and no drilling.

Silver/Graphite/Premium/Sports/Winter

Old 06-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 2 factory ground points at the front of the engine. Feel free to use either one as convenient and for your own esthetics. Depending on wire lengths supplied by the various kits, one hole may look a little better when you route the wires than the other. I don't think that it makes much difference being only a few inches apart when the holes are cast into the same engine part.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 07-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Because I've been PM'd by several members with similar questions buying other kits and/or making their own:

<font color=blue>The replacement bolts are metric size M6. Use a 16mm bolt to secure where there are 3 terminal lugs. Use a 20mm bolt where there is 4 or 5 terminal lugs. If you purchase bolts, buy automotive grade 8.8 or higher as the cheaper bolts are known to snap and/or corrode prematurely. Be careful threading in the bolts as the aluminum of the engines can easily be cross threaded and do not overtighten the bolts. Torque only to about 10 ft-lbs at most. The use of Loctite (or similar) on the bolts is optional and if you use it, use only a small amount and only use low to medium strength Loctite.

If you use the type of terminal lugs that leave the wire ends of the cable exposed, I would suggest that you seal the cable jacket-lug gap with sealant and coat the exposed wires that remain with a dialectric grease to minimize O2 infiltration under the cable jacket as the pure copper cables will corrode over time.

The washer size isn't particularly important, but I prefer to use a 9/16" diameter brass washer with a 1/4" hole rather than steel to minimize corrosion and for better conduction. </font color=blue>

I hope this post will reduce the number of PMs with questions of similar nature.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Please feel free to PM me with any other questions, and continue to post your impressions here.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:58 PM

Hey Gord,
THe PM isn't working for me right now, I don't know why.
Im ready to purchase the kit and I need your paypal address.
Contact me by email
mzaiderman@socal.rr.com

Thanks gord

Old 07-02-2003, 07:05 PM
GordGee's kit looks good

I just received the ground wires from Gordon. I haven't install it yet but I really like the look. Construction and quality is top notch. I will post feedback after installation.

David.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:43 PM

2 questions for you gord.

1st- I used scosche wiring on my truck and the heat from the motor has melted thru before so I had to redo it and add an extra insulation layer. Is that something to worry about with our G's?

2nd- I would like to stay with the silver and chrome theme thru out my G. Do you have an alternative to the copper terminal connectors and bolts, possibly a stainless set-up?

I would love to purchase your kit if so. If not could you guide me as I create my own?

Old 07-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Administrator

So far, no one at my350z.com nor here have reported melt-throughs with the Scosche cable. The lengths are designed to allow cable routing away from direct contact with hot engine parts while keeping the lengths to a workable minimum. The only thing that I've heard about is some discoloration of the cable jackets over time, especially with the clear which is probably the colour that you'd go with to keep it silver looking.

Sorry, I only do the kits with solid copper terminal ends as I still believe that the ones I use are superior to others for various reasons, even (especially the cheaper ones) gold plated ones that I've looked into. Stainless terminals in 4 ga. may be hard to source, though I haven't tried. Stainless steel is not the best conductor out there, so I'd suggest maybe trying to locate some solid copper terminals that are perhaps nickel plated or something to maintain your colour scheme. If you decide to make your own, PM me and I can hopefully help you out with some of the details.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:31 PM

Just added 6th and 7th wire. Connected one to the left side strut tower and grounded to the rear left side point on the engine. Connected the other wire to the tranny filler tube and grounded it to the gold colored bracket. Can't tell as dramatic a difference as I did wth the first 5 wires, but it does to seem to shift a little smoother and "hold revs" before shifting.

Old 07-07-2003, 01:52 AM

That is what I meant to write, nickel. I will do some research tomorrow. I had a friend that worked at scosche but too bad for me he quit the week before last.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:30 AM

Gordgee asked me to share this information on the advantages of hyper-grounding systems.

Some of you may have already seen this information.

Hyper-grounding systems provide direct ground path from battery negative to body, chassis, and engine components to improve on electrical circuit conductivity. Hyper-ground system cables have 10 times less impedance than factory ground systems which reduces electrical power loss. The higher resistance of factory grounds affects the ignition system and obstructs the potential (low voltage D.C. circuit electron flow). Good hyper-ground systems use thick gauge 99.99% pure copper wire and connectors that ground the engine and other points under the hood to the battery and chassis providing ultra low resistance connections.

Old 07-08-2003, 05:47 AM

I just ordered a 7 wire kit from z-xtreme. He seems really cool, I cant wait to see my wires.

Luv My G

Old 07-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Administrator

I just found out that Stillen now offers the kit as well. They use 8 guage wire, and I think the price is $130, regular $150.

I'll add them as one of the sources.

Stillen

Old 07-08-2003, 01:15 PM

I installed the 5pt Ground Wires Kit that GordGee made for my Altima 3.5SE. I've been driving the car for two days and registered the following impression:

I noticed the headlight a little brighter. The engine is more willing to rev and the engines is running smoother than before.
Before the wires, the engine would hesitate intermittantly but now it's much smoother. I don't know if I gain any HP but the increase in smoothness is definately noticable. I'm trying to look for more grounding points to see if there's any more gain to be had. I'll post picture later.

Regards
David.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread