FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 07:01 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Wow! Notice that the battery and the brake booster
compartments are switched. My battery is on the passenger
side of the car, this one is on the drivers side? Maybe this
is an English version?

2003 Twilight Blue Sedan 5AT, sunroof, leather,
splashguards, GG red 7 wire Hypergrounding kit, 350Z intake duct, K&N filter.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that a G? something don't look right..

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 08-08-2003, 12:04 PM

A right hand driver cause of the wipers? At any rate, now I wonder why all grounding wires aren't terminated to the neg battery post? Any real benefit vs termination to engine block w/ single wire to batt?

Old 08-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe that is the JDM version of our car?

The ground system there is similar I believe to the HKS Circle Earth (I could be wrong) which differs in theory to the 'daisy-chain' style of grounding that most others use. I believe it subscribes to the theory that benefits are had from stabilizing ground signals from different engine parts to a central ground point, in this case, the battery negative. An EE that I spoke with didn't think that it would make much, if any difference, and in fact, depending on the central ground point, might even be less effective. It definitely looks different though.

Where'd you get the picture?

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 08-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my 6 Wire Hyper-Ground/Earthing kit from Gordee today and installed it. I followed everything except for the 6th wire, I choose to attach the wire to the stock airbox and ground point on the front of the engine (instead of the right strut tower). I also added wiring loom near the intake mainfold and anywhere that touches anypart of the engine so I won't melt the wires. I took it out for a test run and found that my G drives WAY SMOOTHER! I couldn't feel that much in performance, but I'm so happy that my G doesn't jerk at low crawling speeds (i.e. traffic). Before it felt like someone driving a stick for the first time when in traffic, that's how jerky it was. My shifts are much smoother and quicker then before. For the money, this is one of the best improvements I've made so far on my G.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite

Old 08-10-2003, 03:17 AM

Gordy's instructions for this Hyper-Grounding Kit are excellent. The only modification I made is pictured below where for wire #3-B that goes to the battery terminal, Gordy had suggested punching a small hole in the rubber grommet at the front of the battery compartment. Instead, I chose to drill a 5/8" hole in the Aluminum just to the left of that area, and run the wire through a vinyl grommet. If the part number does not come out clear in the picture, it is KG-406, Mfg. = CC/Waldom, and can be ordered from www.electronicplus.com. This arrangement made the install look like a professional did it, rather than the true novice that I am. :-)

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Prem/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs/Hyper-G Kit.

85574-Hyper-GndNo3-B.jpg

Old 08-10-2003, 12:41 PM

Hey Gordgee!

I'm still here to back you up. I am still making kits and I do not intend to increase my prices!

Thanks for all of your help and keep up the great work.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Ca_Kid:

Looks good and very professional! I though about using a rubber grommet as well since I have a few laying around. I'm just reluctant to drill a hole through my G![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

InsaneAmine:

How's it going with your 'Insanely Grounded!' business! Thanks for taking up my overflow. Have you read the Hyper-Ground FAQ I did up yet? Feel free to link to it from your forums, etc. as I think it answers a lot of questions ppl are asking. Sure beats repeating myself, and I'm sure you must get a lot of similar questions as well.

Gord

Old 08-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Administrator

InsaneAnine:

If you decide you no longer like that hammer crimper that you're using, I found a great Industrial Hand Crimper for $576 CDN ($410 USD). Makes for very easy and consistent crimps, important if you want to show them off!

85642-Crimp Tool.jpg

Old 08-10-2003, 08:01 PM

I installed Gord's 5 wire kit on my 6MT sedan yesterday. Took about an hour.

I did a "blind" test today. Didn't tell my boy friend, who's an EE, multiple Bimmer owner, track driver/instructor and general all round motor head. Had him drive my car and he noticed differences right away, but I didn't tell him what it was. After the ride, he pops the hood to take a look with the car running. He couldn't believe it. I had talked with him about the whole HG kit theory over a month ago and he had dismissed the whole notion. Now he's a convert.

Bottom line:
Car starts quicker.
My revs are 150 to 200 lower in neutral idle (idles at 400 quiet and smooth as can be).
At any given shift point, my speed is higher. Soon as I shift the revs drop down in a flash--much sooner than before.
Going 50 mph in 3rd gear before shift to 4th, the revs are at 2850 to 2900 tops. Used to be between 3000 and 3100. Even with the A/C on, the car runs smoother, quieter, shifting feels much more fluid.

And yes, even a girl can do this mod without assistance.

Dreams garnet fire/graphite leather 6MT 2003.5 premium/aero/winter hyperground kit

Old 08-10-2003, 11:56 PM

Excellent post dreamsenoi.

I also have Happy's kit on my 6mt coupe and can echo the exact same things that you have experienced. Also, I have had many arguments with my cousins (2 EEs and a mechanic) that also thought I was buying 'snake oil', but proved it to them as well when they drove it. They all agree it was better with the cables. Also, they couldn't believe it when I showed them the stock grounding cables (look like 28AWG cable) compared to the cables that came with the kit (4AWG cables). Once they drove it and saw the difference in the cables, I could just see it in their faces that they knew that this was a good thing.

One thing for me to add was that I noticed on my NAV screen with the Fuel Economy that I was averaging 18-19mpg before the kit. Now I've got 1000+ miles after the kit and I got 21.2-22.6mpg the last 4 fillups. Definitely a great improvement. I think you'll have the same improvements in gas to look forward to.

'03.5 6MT Coupe | Caribbean Blue w/ Graphite | Prem. | Nav. | Aero |Hardwired V1 | Alum. Pedals | Injen CAI | Insaneanime's Grounding Kit | 15% tint all around

Old 08-11-2003, 03:33 AM

"Looks good and very professional! I though about using a rubber grommet as well since I have a few laying around. I'm just reluctant to drill a hole through my G! "

Gordy: I considered using one of the grommets from the engine cover, since it was the exact size needed. However, you won't believe what the local dealership wanted for that single part. Would you believe $12.00 USD. That's when I decided to go to the local electronics parts store and get five grommets for $1.59 USD. Big difference. :-)

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Prem/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs/Hyper-G Kit.

85831-G35c Eng Cvr Thumb.jpg

Old 08-11-2003, 01:44 PM

finally installed happies 7 wire kit (7th wire still needs to be attached)
and I am impressed. All the pros of this kit are noticeable
especially the idle. It feels like the car is not even running, very smooth indeed. Thank u happies for making the kit and thank u
Gord and all the members for your input. Very worthy upgrade,
I recommend it highly.

My G is absolutely "Mavelus"!

Old 08-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I've read through every post on this thread and have to have this kit...And Gord, we have to talk about you maybe doing these for my clients- it seems like an incredibly good investment...I read towards the first posts that it was possible to get this in blue, I think...My company colors are white a blue (and automotive company with blue and white as their colors? no...) and the blue would be perfect...Anyway, I have the 6MT Sedan, so is the 5-wire kit the recommendation? I think that was what I've been reading...

Old 08-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Administrator

You have a lot of stamina, reading through all the posts![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Wait 'til this gets to higher numbers, like 1000! LOL

Anyway, no blue. I PM'd you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread