FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Gord - seems like alot to add after 40 pages but here's my .02...

- ORDER & SHIPPING: painless order process. Kit shipped via Canada Post Expedited Shipping to US customs (enriched plutonium sniff test, eh?) then US Postal Service to local. Exactly 3 weeks time from mailing check to receiving kit. CP website tracking service is useless. Kit was securely packaged and all parts intact despite arriving with a 6" wide hole in the box and big USPS sticker "We apologize for damaging your item during automated processing". But hey, the anticipation and anxiety heighted the buying experience!

- PRODUCT: quality material and build, i.e. all terminations clean, secure, tight to insulation. Only disappointment was clear shrink tubing at ends had enough bubbles under them to cause me to reheat all ends. Was it necessary? I don't know, but I felt better doing it.

- INSTRUCTIONS: 2 pages written and 1 pic with wires labeled to correspond to numbered wires in Gord's kit. Quite adequate for most, but I was still glad I printed some additional pic's and install tips from prior posts in this thread. That made the job even easier. All in all, very well documented.

- INSTALLATION: Total time - a leisurely 45 min., incs 2 beers and a cigar. It's easy if you have the tools. In addition to the Tools Required list on the Instruction Sheet, you will need a short socket extension. I was so afraid of dropping a bolt into the under pan. A real PITA to recover, be careful 'cause if you drop it you may never see your bolt again or turn the job into a 2 hr nightmare.

- INSTALL TIPS NOT YET MENTIONED: Re Step #3 - the #2 wire grounding bolt on the pass side strut tower and the #6 wire right strut tower ground bolt are definately the most challanging due to a lack of space. However, both 10mm bolts also incorporate a Philips (sp?) bolt head. After breaking the bolts loose with a socket, I found using a large 18" long Philip head screwdriver made the job much easier to remove, secure and replace the bolts as I chose not to remove the hood sensor bracket.

- PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS: Gord, consider supplying 4-5 long black zip ties in your kit. The two short black ties are not long enough to encircle both #'s 5 & 6 hyper ground wires plus the plastic wiring harness loom cover as shown in the instruction pic. To keep all ties color and size coordinated I used a long black tie there and four more when tying two hyper wires together. It's easier to trim excess length, plus the bigger (wider) zip ties may have less chance of cutting into wire covering and attachment points. Also, it might be kinda cool to affix small number stickers on the underside of each wire at the terminal ends below the clear shrink tubing for a permanent and really professional look. Lastly, ECU ground wire?!

- SUBJECTIVE: I was/still am very skeptical of HP and torque claims resulting from the installation of these wires. I bought the kit in search of further improvement to engine smoothness, throttle response and mpg on my '03.5 6MTs. I found after 3k+ mi. my G had loosened up and felt great - an unmistakable overall improvement in feel from the initial new car tightness/roughness. You know what I mean. But, additional improvements in these areas were being reported by those installing hyper ground wires on cars that had been broken-in for quite some time, albeit not as dramatic as initially occurs during the break-in period. Heck, I thought, even if I ultimately gained 0.5 to 1 mpg improvement with this product and nothing else, at todays fuel cost at least it will pay for itself in relatively short order. But, before I could install the kit on my '03.5, I traded for an '04. So I can't offer a direct before and after comparison on a familiar, fully broken-in engine. I can, however, report the effect of installation on a brand new car, which may be good for a totally different perspective. After picking up the '04, I went right back to that pre-breakin feel and man did it feel rough all the way from idle through redline (oops, I meant 3500rpm!). Yech! After two days and 500 mi. I installed the wires on the '04 and immediately noticed a lower and smoother warm idle. On cold start warmups, the rpm's drop sooner. There is unquestionably a big improvement in overall smoothness throughout the entire rpm band, especially toward the upper end where Gs tend to get a bit buzzy before fully broken-in. Vibration thru the shifter has lessened considerably as well. It was as if installing the wires magically accellerated the smoothing out process that occurs during the break-in period exponentially. To quantify, the post wire engine smoothness is very close to being on par with my old, broken-in, G! Not as good, but I can only imagine that this car will be silky smooth by 3k+ mi. If you think of the difference in engine smoothness between your brand new car and again after 3-4kmi., thats the wide degree of improvement it seems to have made in an instant. Honestly, I was stunned.

- CONCLUSION: Having had the benefit of installing to a brand new engine, and such recent experience with the different engine feel between broken-in and new, there is no way the post wire improvement in engine smoothness I experienced was psychosomatic, so negligable as to be uncertain, or possibly attributed to engine break-in. It was immediate, big and bold! Throttle response below 3500 is very quick, quicker than my old G, although any improvements in this department I must attribute to intake mods I didn't do on the '03. Any mpg comparison is probably meaningless untill the new engine is properly broken in. At the moment, the new G is noticably thirstier than the old but as usual mpg will improve during break-in. I will be watching closely to compare where mpg seem to finally top out compared to the other.

- RECOMMENDATION: Yes

Old 09-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kong:

The sandwich bolt should be torqued to 9-10 ft-lbs according to Infiniti. It's fairly important as it's structural. You'll need a torque wrench.

How many wires are you using? Are you planning to use my install points as pictured? It's important as different kits use different lengths and numbers of bolts.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 09-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Dholly:

WOW! Lot's of work in your response and valuable feedback!

The shortest time it's ever taken for a MO to reach me is 4 days by post. It even took an 'Overnight' Puroletter that long once![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] The shortest delivery time for a kit to the US was an amazing 3 days! So, I guess if all goes well, could take as little as 7 days (we wish!) The variable time of course is because we're dealing with 2 postal services.

Re the bubbles. If I used black or any other colour shrink, even if it was quite loose, you wouldn't see any bubbles! Shrink tubing isn't very elastic by nature, and you probably noticed that when you installed the cables, flexing them forms some bubbles, even after you carefully reheated them. The shrink is there on GroundingGear™ to provide extra mechanical strength to the sealant that I coat the joint with, so it's not necessary to ensure that all bubbles are gone. The ONLY thing covering most other kits is a loose fitting rubber boot, or opaque shrink, and the wire ends are exposed.

Yes, it can take a lot longer if you either don't have the proper tools (all of which I can't list for everyone), or a bolt is dropped (biggest complaint)[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I actually only used one long and one short wire tie to secure my cables. I thought I was just providing one extra.[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img] It might be a good idea however to try to source a wider tie.

Interesting observations re pre and post on both your older G and your new one! Glad you noticed the difference. Many others also report being quite shocked by the noticeable difference GroundingGear™ makes! I also had consider a psychological placebo effect (not psychosomatic as that term refers to bodily symptomatology as related to a psychological effect)[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img].

Thanks again for your detailed feedback.

Old 09-13-2003, 12:57 PM

hmm - since it was my bodily sense of feel telling me things got smoother, maybe I can get away with it just this one time, hehe!

Old 09-13-2003, 03:51 PM

ok, so i just completed the install. actually, i only did the first 6. i jacked up my car but was too intimidated to go under the car, esp. since i was doing this alone and wasn't sure how well the jack would hold while i was under there. when there are more detailed instructions as well as a more detailed/pic diagram as to the location of grounding point from under the car (wasn't sure if it was on the right, left, middle), i'll install the 7th. took me about 2 hours but with the time i took thinking about whether or not to attempt the 7th wire. so, probably a little less if only just the time to install the 6..

i drove around the block a few times. noticed a quicker up/down shift response. i use to be able to feel a slight lag in the shifting.. now it's quicker and more seamless. when everything is (ac, radio), you cant even tell the car is running except for the slight hum of the engine.. as to other observations others have made, i'll have to drive for a few days/weeks and really get a feel of the difference. it'll take time to notice other little improvements from the grounding. all in all, it was definitely worth the money... and i'm sure the benefits i notice as i drive more with the grounding kit installed will further confirm that statement...

i'll post more observations as they come. this was just what i felt after about 5 minutes of driving...

thanks guys!

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 09-15-2003, 08:14 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gordon,
I went fishing for your #9 wire install directly
to the ECU. Thought I would try to map out an
install plan, so I removed the entire battery
department cover expecting to see a wire bundle
pass-through in the firewall. I guess I will need
to remove the battery as well to see this as I
found no easy way to pass a wire thru. But I did
discover a factory ground that comes off of the thick
wire bundle coming from the passenger side!
I attached a short ground to it directly from battery
negative. Maybe it's my imagination, but
the car seems incredile now! I think I may have
found the ECU factory ground? I'm at 12 wires
at the moment, unless I can figure a way thru
the firewall to get directly to the ECU/TCU,
I think I'm finished adding wires the the G.
On to the Maxima! Jacked it up on the drivers
side this weekend and found the perfect palce
to ground the transmission. There is a bracket at
the bottom of the transmission, ran a wire from it
up to the right hole on the valve cover. I connected
both valve cover holes with a short wire. From
the right side hole, I connected the throttle body,
transmission and drivers side strut frame.
From the left side valve cover hole, I connected
the battery negative and engine block opposite
the oil dip stick. The Maxima now sports 11 wires!
I'm still exploring the Maxima engine compartment
for more.

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
GG/DB red 11 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox

Old 09-15-2003, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Sounds great! I've been trying to find a location on the firewall to apply a ground. I believe that if the ECU is directly grounded to this continuous sheet of metal, we should see benefits very similar to a direct ECU ground. Is this ground point on the firewall or elsewhere in the battery box? This I might be able to play with as I don't have time to take apart my dash to get to the ECU.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:59 PM

Gord,

The ground is next to the battery on the fender.

Cato

GG/DB red 12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,

Old 09-20-2003, 12:23 AM

Now i got the kit !! and i am wondering if i have to remove all the wire as the instruction state ? cause i having find those wires !! and how many wires are there for me to remove ??
thanks for the help from anyone, and one more thing, is there anything using the gound kit in LA area ?? 310 .. i was hope i can get some tips in person. thank you thank you i live in torrance.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:22 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure what kit you have, so I'm not sure what instructions you are following, nor what wires you're wondering about removing.
The H-G kits are supplemental wires, so you shouldn't have to remove anything, but you may want to move some of the existing factory ground wires to connect to the H-G system.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:05 PM

My Review:

Took my friend and I an hour to do...no real problems at all. I did the X-Treme Kit. With everyone's Pics it was pretty easy...so thanks for all the pics!

I chose the blue kit and at least it looks abslutely awesome, but both of us could not tell any difference at all.

My car starts the same...it idles the same...I can easily hear the engine running when it's idling...wihtout resetting the ECU via the Battery Disconnect I coudn't tell any improvement in shifts via D or Manual Mode...nothing was wrong, but it just didn't do anything.

IMHO it was more of a fun thing to do that looks great, but got me no bang for the buck...

If anyone can suggest why this is, I am all ears!

John
03.5 G35 14.8 @ 93
02 Maxima SE 14.5 @ 95 (Wife's)
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 09-20-2003, 08:50 PM

i got my kit from insameg35

Old 09-21-2003, 05:38 PM

Here are some pics of my 12 wire set up. This one should
be the wire from the brake booster area to the end of Gords
wire #6

Old 09-21-2003, 05:42 PM

I guess the pic was too big. How do I attach a pic? I clicked
the browse button and clicked on my jpg file. The pic looked
like it downloaded.. WTH I'll try another pic

106714-Wire0.jpg.jpg

Old 09-21-2003, 05:53 PM

That was my wire #0 from a MASSIVE factory ground
beside the windshield washer resivoir connecting to Gordons
wire #1.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread