Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

A/T, UP/Grd Valve Bdy, cmtr unhappy (FI) *+!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/T, UP/Grd Valve Bdy, cmtr unhappy (FI) *+!

05, cpe, a/t.

Normal mods-intake...exhaust...plenum...all is happy.

6500 miles added a JWT (TT) kit and car (a/t shifting) is not happy. First week intentional very "easy driving". The next week during "normal" driving a serious (unsafe) condition manifested...even the "Limp Mode" activated twice.

During moderate to heavy acceleration the a/t hesitates, boggs down, stalls for 1/2 to 3 seconds during every shift! This is sometimes pronounced enough to lurch one forward in one's seat. (During these moments the car is in transmission "never, never" land???)

This "problem" occurs when the car is acceleration and shifting up to a "higher gear"...2-3-4...every gear...weather the RPM is at 4000 or redline.

I have a "conservative" 330 WHP.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by wolf
05, cpe, a/t.

Normal mods-intake...exhaust...plenum...all is happy.

6500 miles added a JWT (TT) kit and car (a/t shifting) is not happy. First week intentional very "easy driving". The next week during "normal" driving a serious (unsafe) condition manifested...even the "Limp Mode" activated twice.

During moderate to heavy acceleration the a/t hesitates, boggs down, stalls for 1/2 to 3 seconds during every shift! This is sometimes pronounced enough to lurch one forward in one's seat. (During these moments the car is in transmission "never, never" land???)

This "problem" occurs when the car is acceleration and shifting up to a "higher gear"...2-3-4...every gear...weather the RPM is at 4000 or redline.

I have a "conservative" 330 WHP.

Thanks

You need a VB to shift faster. I suggest the FI vb or the SGP vb. The stillen vb doesn't shift fast enough for me, but I just installed a grounding kit and the shifts are a little faster now. I never go WOT in D mode save it for MM. I tried it once in D at the track and my car wouldn't shift from 2-3 without bouncing off the rev limiter.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 AM
05/at/sht prob

Originally Posted by Dsskyline
You need a VB to shift faster. I suggest the FI vb or the SGP vb. The stillen vb doesn't shift fast enough for me, but I just installed a grounding kit and the shifts are a little faster now. I never go WOT in D mode save it for MM. I tried it once in D at the track and my car wouldn't shift from 2-3 without bouncing off the rev limiter.
VB upgraded by Transgo...they seem to think the solenoids may have been damaged in shipping and are shipping a stock one to swap out & test. By the way I'm new at this...what does WOT mean? Where does one get a FI vb and what is a SGP vb?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM
vb/tuner

Originally Posted by HomieG35
"A/T, UP/Grd Valve Bdy" Does that mean you have already upgraded the valve body?

If so, whos?

Is VRT the tuner?
vb upgrade by Transgo...The tuner is local and is still "working" the "problem".

Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Never heard of your VB ugrade. Did they do any drilling on it? Raise the line pressures?

WOT = Wide Out [or Open] Throttle.

Does your shop do alot of work on the VQ35 engines? They can be alittle tricky, so usually people stick to the main shops across the country.

Did you add the turbo and the VB at the same time? I would let them swap the stock one in and see how it runs, even with the new solenoids on the old you may not want it back... its probably had its share of wear and tear since its messing up. Also, if the long pauses you said it has in the 1st post ("heavy acceleration the a/t hesitates, boggs down, stalls for 1/2 to 3 seconds during every shift")- if the tranny is slipping that whole time your clutches aren't doing too well at this point... I'd try everything to keep the new tranny they give you and tell them to fix the old one themselves. You're kind of in a sticky spot. Just don't get screwed!
Thanks for your good info! The so far the (un) named shop in Marietta works almostly exclsively on the V35 eng. The VB shop in CA has been around "forever" but is wholesale only.

The shifts (when they work) are very firm which I like so I assume the line pressures have been raised considerably. The JWT kit and the upgrd VB were installed simultaneously (unfortunately).

The car has been driven very little...maybe 400 miles since the kit was installed.

Got new "stock VB" and installed on car...the throttle would not respond at all. Removed and put "new" stock solenoids only back on the original VB and reinstalled...same problem...not throttle response. The car "electronics" do no like or are not compatable with the newer "stock" vb solenoids.

By the way on in manual shift from say 3rd to 4th under acceleration there is some "hesitation".

I may have already been scre......d, thanks again.

Last edited by wolf; 03-08-2007 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
What is 441tq (I assume this is your torque value) and what is a dynopak? Is this the a/trans upgrade?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
How come you did have VRT do the install/tune?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wolf
Thanks for your good info! The so far the (un) named shop in Marietta works almostly exclsively on the V35 eng. The VB shop in CA has been around "forever" but is wholesale only.

The shifts (when they work) are very firm which I like so I assume the line pressures have been raised considerably. The JWT kit and the upgrd VB were installed simultaneously (unfortunately).

The car has been driven very little...maybe 400 miles since the kit was installed.

Got new "stock VB" and installed on car...the throttle would not respond at all. Removed and put "new" stock solenoids only back on the original VB and reinstalled...same problem...not throttle response. The car "electronics" do no like or are not compatable with the newer "stock" vb solenoids.

By the way on in manual shift from say 3rd to 4th under acceleration there is some "hesitation".

I may have already been scre......d, thanks again.
What year is your car? There are differences in years for the transmission, I have the same VB and I have not heard of this problem.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
transgo...hmmm, I had bad luck with one of their VBs on a mustang.......If I floored it, the trans would go into a "neutral condition." once I let off the throttle, it would slam into gear!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by rookie
What year is your car? There are differences in years for the transmission, I have the same VB and I have not heard of this problem.
2005 A/T cpe non rev engine...

Old 03-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

I have no idea what could be wrong. There are quite a few people running that particular VB mod and nothing like this has been reported as far as I have read. I'm going to assume your core was used to modify?

Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Sounds very wierd to be happening at such a low hp level you have, I had the stock VB and even with my TT I did not have this kind of issue. I do know that if I floored mine it would hesitate around 4300rpm so I am currently having an upgraded VB,TC put it at GT Motorsports.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

You're like the 4th person that has said something about a weird pause in the 4300-4500 range. Mine does it slightly around there as well, even after a transmission tear down nothing looked bad according to the tech.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A/T, UP/Grd Valve Bdy, cmtr unhappy (FI) *+!