Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

if u had the chance to go back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SC dont have instant power. Power ramps as the rpms go up. It doesnt have near the "push you back in your seat" like a turbo does. Mine SC will push you back in your seat at like 5k rpms, below that, its just hard accel. My buddies turbo porsche with less hp, just scares me Spooled turbos have instant power, and teh smaller turbos used on the bolt on kits dont have much lag if any. Just look at the torque curves.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
One reason why I dumped my Vortech was because of low trq.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a freeway the SC isn't that bad since they are in their power band. I raced an ATI 350Z on a freeway and he was a little bit ahead of me. We pretty much have the same WHP but my added weight killed me (big 19's and body kit).

Last edited by FI'ed G; 03-17-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i love my coupe and I'd love to go FI with it. California law keeps me from throwing a turbo or 2 in it. Between the superchargers, stillen is good low end but ugly, HKS SC is medium and quiet and Vortech is high end for power building (sorry if my terms suck or if I'm off. I'm generalizing).

Secondly, if I'm not mistaken and I've read people's posts right, if you HAVE gone with the Vortech Complete or Stillen Stage 2 (for limited warranty or state compliance reasons) none of them are really worth the money for the power you gain and most begin upgrading their systems for more HP as soon as they can. Also, once the system is setup, we are told to expect more headaches on top of the usual worries (compression rods, synchros for manuals, tire wear, oil consumption, creaks and rattles that shouldnt happen on a "luxury" sport car).

Thirdly, by the time you've installed your S/C (if you didnt skimp and did it right), you've added $16k (guess-timate from earlier in the thread) to what seems an already obscenely fast depriciating car.

I cant say I've looked at too many other cars since I got my G. Now I'm thinking the safest way to go would be to just get something thats stock and more powerful, say a 2005 M3 or such. I dunno, I'm just thinkin out loud I guess

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah I would go FI if it's a daily driver It's better if you have a alternative daily driver car though. After getting my Procharger Installed I gun it like crazy, I have went over 5000rpm almost everyday or every other day for a whole week until it started leaking tranny oil and now its back in the shop, grrrr

Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
I wouldn't have FI'd the G if it were MY daily driver - like others have said. Some people over on My350z daily drive their 4xxwhp cars all the time with no issues. Other (like me) baby their car and put 5000 miles on it a year and run into issues half the time. It's all in the tuner, spend all the money you can shipping the car to where everm doing what you gotta do to go to the best shop you think their is. I went to SGP... I have had issues since the end of '06 (my fault AND theirs).

Too much worry because everytime I drive I'm thinking something minor will go wrong and everytime I get on it it sounds like it's going to blow up.

I have NEVER ragged on my car... infact, it hasn't even seen over 4000 RPM in nearly 2 years because something is wrong with the car that won't let it go over 4500!

I just don't think my particular is streetable enough to be a daily driver - one cause being the supercharger, among other things.
perhaps you need larger injectors?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by SlooberTooth
perhaps you need larger injectors?
What is that has to do with all his problem?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I wouldn't have FI'd the G if it were MY daily driver - like others have said. Some people over on My350z daily drive their 4xxwhp cars all the time with no issues. Other (like me) baby their car and put 5000 miles on it a year and run into issues half the time. It's all in the tuner, spend all the money you can shipping the car to where everm doing what you gotta do to go to the best shop you think their is. I went to SGP... I have had issues since the end of '06 (my fault AND theirs).

Too much worry because everytime I drive I'm thinking something minor will go wrong and everytime I get on it it sounds like it's going to blow up.

I have NEVER ragged on my car... infact, it hasn't even seen over 4000 RPM in nearly 2 years because something is wrong with the car that won't let it go over 4500!

I just don't think my particular is streetable enough to be a daily driver - one cause being the supercharger, among other things.
This really sounds like a tunner issue. which I personally had very bad experience when it came down to my turbo M3 (which is now a race car) do to the mods I had done to it.

I hate the fact that every shop in the area says they got the best tuners. Or one shop can out do the other. I knoe str8 up its easy to slap a FI on any car but with the wrong shop doing the work.. It’s a wrap...

I spend a lot of time researching alot of shops in my area and customers who's car have been completed. Then after I gather my parts I should have a good idea of how im gonna invest my funds into this daily driver project.

Last edited by nyqueenz; 03-18-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I wasted my time with an APS st kit for awhile. Then I decided to do it right and go all out. I didnt buy used parts( except for the smoking deal on a authentic TS bumper ) and went to a reputable, but a little pricey, tuner. I only drive my car on dry days with no rain in sight and everytime i go out in it, it makes me smile. the car was built to be well rounded and not racey, and i think i suceeded in that. if i were to do it again, would i? heck yeah!!!!! even though i am close to buying a gt-r(including parts, labor and the car), 3 years ago there was no gt-r. i bought this car new and intend to keep it and add to the collection one day. and even if i did buy a vette or gt-r, i would still end up adding performance stuff to it. it's my nature .

Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I had a Stillen SC stage 2,3,4, went to a Greddy TT and am now building my motor. I think when paired with the right parts the Greddy kit is awesome and would make 99% of VQ owners more than happy.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
I had a Stillen SC stage 2,3,4, went to a Greddy TT and am now building my motor. I think when paired with the right parts the Greddy kit is awesome and would make 99% of VQ owners more than happy.
Is your block being built at the moment or are u in the process? 2nd question how dose the Greddy hold up on the stock engine? Any problems?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Have 720cc...

Tell me about it... This has gone on for awhile and they still charge me ($95) an hour to trouble shoot! Talk to SGP... they sure don't listen to me...
I hope you still don't go there then...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Perfect. It's like I got FI, loved it for a year... now I hardly ever drive the car, it's too much maintance, and too much worry.

I'd definately go back to stock... but I feel I'm too far into it now... I'll wait til next year and biuld it.

However, to try and answer the question... in the first year I loved and enjoyed the boost, I'd probably try something like Turbonetics ST setup.

You hit it right on the head -- I had an APS ST and it was on the flat bed or in my mechanics garage more than under my butt.

Instead of spending $20K to $30K on an FI kit; got with an OEM twin turbo'd car out of the box; I did and am loving it. (I also hope to be one of the first GTR owners in Cali).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: if u had the chance to go back