Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Forced Induction for Noobs....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Received 40 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SIAMG35
any information on speedforceracings turbo kit??? the twin and single?
Didn't see your post here. I think you got your answer in your other thread.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the writeup here, guys. While I'm not completely new to turbos (put a kit on my old tC) I appreciate all the kit info put in one place. You've definitely convinced me to go with the powerlab over the turbonetics.

One question, though. On the PL site, there's a tuner kit and a regular kit. I've gone through all the specs and it would seem that both kits come with all the same parts, is the boost turned up on the tuner kit? Sorry for the dumb question..

sTony

edit: also, what are the boost levels for the other kits? I know turbonetics is 8psi...

Last edited by sTony; 07-17-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by sTony
thanks for the writeup here, guys. While I'm not completely new to turbos (put a kit on my old tC) I appreciate all the kit info put in one place. You've definitely convinced me to go with the powerlab over the turbonetics.

One question, though. On the PL site, there's a tuner kit and a regular kit. I've gone through all the specs and it would seem that both kits come with all the same parts, is the boost turned up on the tuner kit? Sorry for the dumb question..

sTony

edit: also, what are the boost levels for the other kits? I know turbonetics is 8psi...
The difference between the Complet Powerlab Kit and the Tuner Powerlab Kit is what it includes. The Tuner Kit has all the same parts as the complete, but they remove the injectors, the fuel pump, and the Utec. In case you want to use a different EMS and different injectors.

Boost levels are what you make it. If you are asking what is spring pressure on the Powerlab kit, I would contact one of there dealers.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM
what would be the best f/i for a 2004 g35 automatic.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kbmoney
what would be the best f/i for a 2004 g35 automatic.

Depends on what you want. How much power are you looking for, what kind of powerband do you want, do you want to get more boost later, etc, etc, etc?

I've built up turbo kits for people who had the money and they weren't pleased with them because they just said "give it 400 hp" or "500 hp" and wouldn't tell me anything else about what they wanted.

Assuming you just want a little more grunt, I'd start off with a low boost supercharger. That way, your tranny can hold the power without needing to be toughened up and most low-boost superchargers have nearly the same type of power delivery; just more of it.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM
What is your:

Price Range?
Power Request?
Future Goals with the car?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
One more specific question from a "noob"??? haha

I am trying to get as many opinions on this as possible. I've read everything on these pages and it has some really good info, so I appreciate that. I think (lol) I have decided to go with a single turbo set up. It is just more practical for me. I have a year to decide and set this project up. I have a 2003 6MT with 66K on it. By the time I am ready to this I will prob have about 77-80K. Do you guys think that I should get my engine rebuilt before I do the turbo or what? The last thing I want is to put the money in, and even running low boost (that is my intention) and still blow the motor maybe b/c it is high mileage. So should I do everything at once or what? And if so, maybe you guys could give me some pointers as what to do. I've read about stroker kits....New cams, pistons, springs and all that jazz. If I were to the complete engine job and turbo, what specifically should I get done?? I want your opinions so if you need to bash on me, I can take it lol. Oh yeah money wise, lets give this project a 10,000 dollar limit....but if I have to go over then I can. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Truth

the key is who will perform the work and the tune...let me repeat that if you are not doing it your self the most IMPORANT thing is who is performing the work and the tune...that being said do what "they" say and pay for their service...good luck ... I have spent hundreds of hours repairing "work" done on my car.

Last edited by wolf; 08-07-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Vortech Options

This is the set-up I am currently putting together for my 2005 G35 Sedan 6MT (Rev-up). Are there any changes people would recommend, and what could I expect for RWHP?

The Basics:
Rev-up Vortech Tuner Kit w/V-3
Deatschwerk Injectors (Went with the 600's)
255lph Fuel Pump
AAM Fuel Return System (Basic)
Osiris w/ Dyno tune
Motordyne MREV2
Kinetix Upper Plenum
Kinetix High Flow Cats
Stillen True Dual Exhaust

Minor mods:
ACT Clutch & Flywheel
Quaife LSD
4.08 Final Drive

Things I am Debating:
UR Pulley (Stock Diameter)
Gauges I need?? (Looking at Defi')
Anything else people would suggest?

My goal is to try and hit the 400 RWHP mark. I'm leaning towards the 600cc injectors, but AAM said that even the 440cc injectors would be overkill. I do plan on getting the smaller pulley in the future, but that would be down the road.

Opinions?

Suggestions?

Flames?

Thanks,

Ian
(Yes, this is a cross-post from the Ultimate Vortech thread on My350Z.com, but I had no responses there)

Old 11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
as far as gauges, the big three are usually EGT or oil pressure, wideband, and boost

Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by SlideFox
Turbo 101:

So the life long question of "What's better Single or Twins". Simple answer... both. It all depends on what you’re looking to use the turbo for. Are you strictly daily driving? Do you autocross, time-attack, drag race? You have to think about what you want to use your car for.

One of the easiest ways to explain the difference between the two is...

Twins - Gives you good low-end power and great mid-range, but lacks in the top-end. This is ideal for auto-crossing and time-attack. Twins will give you better response from the dig, and exiting corners. You have really good response in the low-mid range rpm's.

Single - Lacks in the lower rpm range but is great in the mid-range and top-end. This is the "ideal" setup for drag racing where your rpm's are mainly in the mid to upper range. The term “turbo-lag” is the time it tacks for the turbo to see boost. The bigger turbo you have the more lag you will get.

Singles are sometimes preferred for daily driving. For the fact that when you cruising at low-rpm's; your car is actually seeing vacuum rather then boost. This helps with the longevity of the motor. Others prefer twins for daily driving because you have more "useable" power when cruising around town. Though with Twins, your motor will see boost more often then a single.

Single Turbo Kits:

Turbonetics: The Turbonetics single turbo kit is probably the most common turbo kit for the 350Z. They are relatively inexpensive, and you can make 400whp with them on the stock motor. They make an ease of install with an ECU reflash that is included, offer catted and non-catted version for all you emissions guys, and is relatively easy to install.

Some of the things you see some people run into is warranty parts. Turbonetics has great customer service, which is a very good selling point, and allows for a simple fix when it comes to warranty parts. Another thing you see people run into is AIT; or Air Intake Temps. Turbonetics, because of the way the intercooler piping is design, runs higher air-intake temps then most. This could lead to detonation and/or heat-soak. With higher temps, you have to tune more conservatively to prevent future damage to the motor.

With a proper kit, and the right supporting mods, people have made up to 500whp with the Turbonetics kits.

Fastest Current 1/4 mile time with a Turbonetics Kit: 11.036@122.24mph 1.612 60ft

APS Single Turbo: The APS Single Turbo is another good choice for single turbo. The kit has been known to make over 400+whp with not many supporting mods. The quality of this kit is "better" (IMHO) then the turbonetics. The APS comes with better fuel components then the Turbonetics kit, and a better fuel management.

Some of the things you see some people run into is the turbo. Some forum member's have run into problem's with the cartridge that is in the APS turbo's, and often needs to be replaced. Most people usually end-up paying out-of-pocket to make these repairs.

With a proper kit, and the right supporting mods, people have made 550+whp with the APS Single Turbo Kits.

Fastest Current 1/4 mile time with a APS Single Turbo Kit: N/A

Powerlab GT35R Kit: The Powerlab GT35R Single Turbo Kit is the most "complete" kit out there for the 350Z. It comes with the largest intercooler, the largest fuel injectors (600cc), and comes standard with a Turbo XS UTEC. This kit, with the right supporting mods, has made 600+whp. It is easilt upgradeable to a GT37R capable of making over 700+whp.

The downside is its the most expensive single turbo kit for the 350Z, and you have to give-up your windshield washer fluid resevior to install it. The kit is currently available for only 03-05 6MT 350Z's, but the 06+ and 5AT kits will be available soon. There isn't a lot of feedback yet for this kit, because it is still fairly new.

With a proper kit, and the right supporting mods, people have made 600+whp with the Powerlab GT35R Single Turbo Kit.

Fastest Current 1/4 mile time with a Powerlab Single Turbo Kit: 11.000@129.20mph 1.579 60ft
need to add speedforceracing.com single turbo kit

Old 12-18-2008, 01:41 AM
I'll see if I can get the info to add it...

Old 12-26-2008, 03:23 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Slidefox, any updates on the new HKS SC? I'm very interested in hearing both the facts as well as your thoughts on its application for the 350z/G35s thanks! Your thread is teh awesome!!!! Thanks for helping us uber noobs out. We appreciate it

Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SlideFox.... you still planning on updating the Supercharger section? I really like how the Turbo section has some pros/cons about each one and am hoping for that for the SC section.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
slidefox, have you heard anything about the STS turbo kit out there for the 350z? its a single turbo system where the turbo actually mounted in the rear, replacing the muffler. i've seen 350z's on youtube with the system. it seems like a nice system with a great idea behind it.
the website is nice with a good tutorial about the idea
http://www.ststurbo.com/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Forced Induction for Noobs....