Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Forced Induction for Noobs....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan@Assaultech

Momentum is making the best turbo kit on the market right now PERIOD.

That made me almost fall off my chair laughing, thanks for the chuckle

Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Cost to turn a stock 07 5AT into a 400+ turbo eh?

Funny, I probably know exactly what it costs...

If it goes right? About 13k + supporting mods ie: exhaust, HFCs, piggyback... etc.

If it goes wrong?

25k and counting...

Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^You dyno yet or are you still breaking-in?
Originally Posted by TheJuice401
Anybody have an estimate on how much it would cost to turn a stock 07 g35 coupe a/t into 400+ whp?

thanks
Well mine is an 06, but $18K+ so far. And I still haven't built the tranny yet.

Last edited by herrschaft; 07-01-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
That made me almost fall off my chair laughing, thanks for the chuckle
care to elaborate

Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidClen
care to elaborate
I just have no idea what makes it "the best kit on the market PERIOD"? It gives me a chuckle when the guy that is trying to sell you the kit makes statements like that, like it works so much better than all of the other kits on the market. But yet I don't know of anything it can do or does do better than the other kits available. Single turbo get a Boosted Performance kit the most affordable kit with high quality parts and a simple do it yourself install, Twin kits I would go with one of the Jim Wolf kits I have had his 530bb & 850bb and one of my close friends has the 700bb kit and I can't think of one bad thing with any of them.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 07-01-2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Keeping it simple
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
I just have no idea what makes it "the best kit on the market PERIOD"? It gives me a chuckle when the guy that is trying to sell you the kit makes statements like that, like it works so much better than all of the other kits on the market. But yet I don't know of anything it can do or does do better than the other kits available. Single turbo get a Boosted Performance kit the most affordable kit with high quality parts and a simple do it yourself install, Twin kits I would go with one of the Jim Wolf kits I have had his 530bb & 850bb and one of my close friends has the 700bb kit and I can't think of one bad thing with any of them.
There are a few reasons I say it.

A) Build quality is top notch. Everything comes separated and labeled. Many of the other kits just come smashed in boxes.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...mTurboKit2.jpg

B) Easier install than any twin turbo kit. There is no dropping of the engine for the Momentum, saving big $$$ on install if you are taking it to a shop

C) These kits make more horsepower at less boost than the Greddy kit
http://www.momentumperformance.com/m...lation__S__R/3

D) Their customer support through the entire process is great. They did 2 years of R&D on their kit before it was ever released and it shows.

I am not disregarding other kits on the market. Like you said, the BP kit is very nice as well. But in our opinion this is the kit to get.

Last edited by Dan@Assaultech; 07-01-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He didn't say it was the be-all end-all (did I word that correctly?) to forced induction... just a single turbo. He offered info about the Vortech too. They both come out to around $6k. You seem to really be reaching on this one and trying to undermine his credibility. It's obvious he's a vendor, it's not like he's being shady about trying to sell product.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Still "Putting" in... there have been a couple of setbacks along the way but apparently everything except the valve covers are back on- that plus turbos etc should be on today... Then as you said it'll be heat cycle time!

I'm an 06 also but I'm pretty sure there are minimal differences between us and the 07s... so I figured I'd mash the two together.

The tranny is what put me over the top with cost. Everyone runs around saying "I could do it cheaper I did it cheaper..." Yeah, I get it. But with the built engine, boost controller, trans build... etc- it definitely adds up in a REAL hurry. Frankly, to spend 15k and just have moderate gains... and on top of that always wonder when your tranny was going to fail? Or whether your block was good for 6psi or 9? Or 5? To spin the wheel every time you hammered down on someone and wonder what was going to happen next? No thanks...

Then again, how much CAN the IPT take?! Crap.

And as Sylvan said Boosted Performance is a great alternative- very affordable and meticulously manufactured. Win!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Cost to turn a stock 07 5AT into a 400+ turbo eh?

Funny, I probably know exactly what it costs...

If it goes right? About 13k + supporting mods ie: exhaust, HFCs, piggyback... etc.

If it goes wrong?

25k and counting...
lol thanks for the info.. im planning on going turbo or sc next summer.. so about 15-20 g's for 400-500 whp..

Old 07-01-2011, 04:07 PM
how much does it cost to start building the tranny? if im going turbo / sc.. i wanna make sure its as safe as possible.. since itll be my daily driver.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan@Assaultech
There are a few reasons I say it.

/

B) Easier install than any twin turbo kit. There is no dropping of the engine for the Momentum, saving big $$$ on install if you are taking it to a shop

I didnt have to drop my engine when i installed the Greddy twins....but i wish i had.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by TheJuice401
how much does it cost to start building the tranny? if im going turbo / sc.. i wanna make sure its as safe as possible.. since itll be my daily driver.
You can buy a fully built tranny for around $3-4K. A basic S/C setup will be safe for a stock 5AT because of the torque characteristics.

Last edited by herrschaft; 07-01-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on the info in this thread. Single turbos are great for drag applications. After watching the Momentum Performance marketing videos it seems it's just as good as a twin setup. Could someone elaborate on this? I would like to install something like this on my daily driver provided I can have power all the time. How is the lag on this kit?

Also, as was learned in this thread it is always proper to build the motor before any FI install. Momentum's kit is marketable as a reliable kit much like Vortech's reliability. So if I were to put this using my stock block with 85k miles. I shouldn't have fear of throwing a rod? To note I do plan on building my short block eventually. However, I'd like to get the kit on first to see how I like it as my power goals are not that much 400-420hp at the most in a 5AT

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:43 AM
You can buy a fully built tranny for around $3-4K. A basic S/C setup will be safe for a stock 5AT because of the torque characteristics.
oh ok.

Last edited by TheJuice401; 07-05-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Shoot me a PM. On my phone right now. I'd be happy to send you all the info when I get back in the office.

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Based on the info in this thread. Single turbos are great for drag applications. After watching the Momentum Performance marketing videos it seems it's just as good as a twin setup. Could someone elaborate on this? I would like to install something like this on my daily driver provided I can have power all the time. How is the lag on this kit?

Also, as was learned in this thread it is always proper to build the motor before any FI install. Momentum's kit is marketable as a reliable kit much like Vortech's reliability. So if I were to put this using my stock block with 85k miles. I shouldn't have fear of throwing a rod? To note I do plan on building my short block eventually. However, I'd like to get the kit on first to see how I like it as my power goals are not that much 400-420hp at the most in a 5AT

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Forced Induction for Noobs....